Author Topic: Avocado Leaf Spot Nacrosis (spider mites?)  (Read 797 times)

Phoenix From The Ashes

• Tampa
    • View Profile
Avocado Leaf Spot Nacrosis (spider mites?)
« on: March 24, 2019, 01:36:14 AM »
Hi,

I have something attacking my avocado leaves. What I observer on the leaf with my naked eye, was a brown spot from the midrib extending to the margin, with underside of the leaf having dark brown specks in the middle of the necrosis, to the naked eye these brown specks looked like insect feces, but tonight under my microscope, I observed multiple cone-like insect cells (approx. 8 cells).  Also present was a few strands of web silk linking some cells. 

After some Google searching of Spider Mites, I could not positively ID my avocado's problem. I suspect spider mites but I remain unsure. Does anyone have any experience with this problem? Do spider mites make cone-like cells? If so, what's the best treatment? Any direction would be appreciated.

Thanks In Advance

Phoenix From The Ashes

• Tampa
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado Leaf Spot Nacrosis (spider mites?)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 10:37:29 PM »
After doing some more research, I identified it as the avocado lace bug. Online literature says do not treat unless it's a major outbreak. I'm kind of curious as to why, perhaps, because I would upsetting the chain-of-life and killing predator mites?