Author Topic: Irwin mango  (Read 1747 times)

nileshkwr

• India
    • View Profile
Irwin mango
« on: August 12, 2021, 09:40:35 AM »
I want to plant irwin mango plant in my kitchen garden. I live in India. At my place climate is hot, humid. Soil is laterite type.
Irwin is red cloured, dwarf, heavy bearing as per information I collected.
I want to know
1.Is Irwin an early, medium or late season mango? Because here mansoon lasts from June to Sept.
2. Is world famous 'egg of sun mango', is same as irwin or is it seedling/hybrid of irwin mango?
3.Does Irwin mango's taste is good? or should I go for Indian red mangoes like Ambika, Arunima, Pusa Arunika?
Thanks.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Irwin mango
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 06:41:48 PM »
Irwin has a mild flavor, as far as I know.  It's been many years since I've eaten one, but I recall never being impressed by the flavor.  You'd probably be much better off with an Indian mango.  They are grown in Japan for their beautiful appearance (=Egg of the Sun).  They say the Japanese growers fuss over them in an extreme way, and maybe there's something special about the location where they are grown that brings out the best in this variety.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 07:16:34 PM by johnb51 »
John

nileshkwr

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 10:17:15 AM »
Thank you for yor reply.
Is Irwin an early season cultivar?
Red Indian cultivars like Ambika, Arunika , Pusa Arunima all are late season varieties. May be becase Neelam is used as parent/grand parent for these hybrids. Early mansoon in first of June may damage fruits of these varieties. I dont understand why each hybrid in India is late season. Horticulturist who devlop them say these hybrids fetch better price because when they mature, traditional mango season is already over. But in India mango price is at peak during start of season and least when season ends. Also people dont buy mangoes once rain starts because of fruit flies damage the fruits.
Other members please share your knowlege/experiences.
Thanks.

XishinMango

• Taiwan, 屏東縣/Pingtung county, tropical monsoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 09:49:51 PM »
Apart from Japan, Irwin mango is the main growing crop in Taiwan as well, it depends where you get them but the flavor can be really good!

Irwin mango in southern Taiwan is early, and as early as mid April from some locations. best tasting ones are generally mid/end may. but further north in Taiwan they are at their best in June I'd say, this also depends on how the dry season is each year.

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 05:24:32 PM »
Apart from Japan, Irwin mango is the main growing crop in Taiwan as well, it depends where you get them but the flavor can be really good!

Irwin mango in southern Taiwan is early, and as early as mid April from some locations. best tasting ones are generally mid/end may. but further north in Taiwan they are at their best in June I'd say, this also depends on how the dry season is each year.

Unfortunately, In Florida, Irwin isn't even close to any top-tier mango!

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 12:57:34 AM »
Even in Japan where Irwins can be marketed as the "egg of the sun", they are poorly flavored.

If flavor is a priority, you can skip Irwin.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 10:02:55 AM »
Even in Japan where Irwins can be marketed as the "egg of the sun", they are poorly flavored.

Ok, so apparently they have no idea what a great mango tastes like. 8)
John

Victoria Ave

• Riverside CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2021, 11:20:33 AM »
I've never eaten an Irwin, but they are just so beautiful!

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2021, 04:30:43 PM »

I couldn't agree more.

tiendadefruta

• Manolo Mateos
  • I love avocados!
    • Almunecar Spain
    • View Profile
    • Tienda de Fruta
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2021, 04:00:42 AM »
It's funny because Irwin mango happens to be really tasty in South Spain...maybe because we are on the weather limit. If you're in India I'm sure you'll find tastier ones :)

Have you tried Manila Mango? I did on the Phillippines and it was a very satisfactoy experience!

Best regards
I love growing tropical fruits in Almunecar, Southern Andalusia, I also deliver them to western Europe through my web www.tiendadefruta.com

Happy to help you if I can :)

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2021, 03:37:41 PM »
I have a hard time believing that an Indian can settle with a classic taste mango.

XishinMango

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2021, 09:28:33 PM »

I couldn't agree more.

Hi guys, I see there is not a lot of love for Irwin mango's in your parts of the world, but did you ever taste Irwin mango, right in the season, from the source in southern Taiwan?

I am certain that this would change your opinion.

The same mango grown in different parts of the world, is never going to taste the same in each place(climate, care,soil). The love and care people put into growing the Irwin mango in Taiwan, among many other varieties, pays of in its taste.

Don't run into a supermarket in Taipei at any given moment of the mango season and buy a mango there, know your source and buy them when they are in the season.

There are also Florida mango's here which are just not grown as much as Irwin or others, and you can taste that in the fruit, they are far from excellent here! (for example, Keitt and Haden mango) But I am sure they taste great when you get them, and eat them in Florida.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2021, 10:23:02 AM »

I couldn't agree more.

Hi guys, I see there is not a lot of love for Irwin mango's in your parts of the world, but did you ever taste Irwin mango, right in the season, from the source in southern Taiwan?

The same mango grown in different parts of the world, is never going to taste the same in each place(climate, care,soil). The love and care people put into growing the Irwin mango in Taiwan, among many other varieties, pays of in its taste.

Don't run into a supermarket in Taipei at any given moment of the mango season and buy a mango there, know your source and buy them when they are in the season.

There are also Florida mango's here which are just not grown as much as Irwin or others, and you can taste that in the fruit, they are far from excellent here! (for example, Keitt and Haden mango) But I am sure they taste great when you get them, and eat them in Florida.
But have you tasted other mangos outside of Taiwan in season right from the source, grown with love and care, to give such extreme praise to the Irwin mango?  Do you think this might change your opinion?
John

XishinMango

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2021, 10:41:29 AM »

[/quote]But have you tasted other mangos outside of Taiwan in season right from the source, grown with love and care, to give such extreme praise to the Irwin mango?  Do you think this might change your opinion?
[/quote]

Hi Johnb51,

I'd praise any mango in which ever place they grow locally, as it is one of my favorite fruits to see growing as well as to consume.

I happen to live in this part of the world in Taiwan, where Irwin mango is cultivated. Therefor It is one of the mango varieties that I can definitely appreciate and think can taste excellent, but you obviously have high, and low quality fruits from the same place.

I've had Carabao and Katchamita mango from the Philippines while there, and these are very different (and excellent) mangos to here in Taiwan, but it doesn't make the Irwin mango less good in my opinion!

I do know where mango is generally not that good(mind, just my opinion). in the supermarket in Northern Europe, where you can buy them for high prices all year round.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2021, 02:23:37 PM »
I do know where mango is generally not that good(mind, just my opinion). in the supermarket in Northern Europe, where you can buy them for high prices all year round.
Yuck.  You're right about that!  I wouldn't touch supermarket mangos.  They give mangos a bad name.
John

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2021, 04:55:56 PM »

I couldn't agree more.

Generally, mango grows in their native condition, tend to have a supreme flavor profile like Indian top-tier mangoes. Few Worlds best mangos from Indian Subcontinent like Alphonso, Anwar Ratool, Amrapalli, Chaunsa, Himsagar, kesar, Langra, Sindhri etc. lost their flavor profile significantly in Florida condition.
Irwin is a Florida mango, a cross between two other Florida mangoes, Haden and Lippens, didn't produce any exquisite flavor except for its crimson red color. It is an average mango in Florida when lot of homeowners in Florida refuse to propagate this cultivar.
Probably, Irwin found its new home in Japan, Taiwan and Israel where the flavor profile augmented so drastically.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk