Author Topic: Xie Shan- fruit photos  (Read 13629 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Xie Shan- fruit photos
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2021, 03:10:18 PM »
Ok, thanks for you comments Malhar and Jim. Maybe I better try to cover my last Xie Shan fruits with metal mesh and try to wait until they all turn bright orange. I might be picking them to soon still. I will do this today and wait like you guys until it is fully orange (2-3 wks).

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2021, 05:51:30 PM »
Looks that you have a lot of fruit lovers in your yard.

For Satsuma fruits, we noticed they have a process like this so picking up times make big differences:
first they change color and get sweet with sour and tartness,
then they become less sour and less tartness (or sweeter),
then they start becoming soft and a little dry but not sweeter,
They start baggy but not sweet.

Ok, thanks for you comments Malhar and Jim. Maybe I better try to cover my last Xie Shan fruits with metal mesh and try to wait until they all turn bright orange. I might be picking them to soon still. I will do this today and wait like you guys until it is fully orange (2-3 wks).

Ckitto

• USA, CA, Hacienda Heights
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2021, 12:24:03 AM »

My Xie Shan are turning yellow. Had one more than a week ago and it was not ripen enough. Will wait till late Nov. Picture of my fruit with a cracked dekopon after some rain

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2021, 12:44:45 AM »
Ckitto, yes my Xie Shan was a little more yellow than yours but I will wait a few more weeks so they are fully ripe before tasting it again. All my dekopon fruits are still green and growing in size. My dekopon does not get ripe here until Jan-March.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2021, 02:56:35 AM »
Eric, yes I do know about the regular Owari satsuma fruiting time and when to pick it. Just was not sure if the Xie Shan was different.

I did have one early fruit today from my Murcott Honey (FL) mandarin and it was excellent. It has seeds but the fruit is large so not a big deal, one fruit had 18-20 seeds. This mandarin had the same taste as the orange juice "Simply Orange" (Florida packed) I had in the frigerator. Very sweet taste, no tart/acid taste, right now I would say it tasted better than the Xie Shan fruit and unknown Satuma fruit.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2021, 05:35:16 PM »
There has been a lot of discussion concerning thick peel, thin peel, knobbed necked fruit, no knob  fruit, smooth peel and bubbly peel, all seen on they same citrus variety, notably concerning Xie Shan.  Yesterday I was looking at my in ground Ponkan mandarin tree.  I found on that tree, fruit with smooth peel, bubbly peel, knobbed fruit and completely round fruit, thick and thin peel fruit, but all of the fruit were Ponkan, and all growing on he same tree..  As to the Xie Shan discussion of these traits  could be different cultivars of Xie Shan, I don't think so.  Just different development of the same fruit.  Kind of like humans, not all look the same, but they ae still just human.

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2021, 12:55:46 AM »
Hi Kaz

These are the pictures of my lone fruit.  It is getting pretty big (no wonder as it is the only one) and starting to turn slightly yellow on one side.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 10:32:45 AM by Malhar »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2021, 03:00:29 AM »
Malhar, nice fruit, it does look pretty big. My fruits are all about the same size, small like a Tango mandarin.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2021, 07:44:32 PM »
No fruits but I planted one of these out in my experimental hoop house this year. Gona add an extra layer of protection see if I can get it thru the winter. Anybody have any experience with sub 20 temps?

jim VH

• Vancouver,Wa. zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2021, 11:16:47 AM »
I've never had a Satsuma survive extended periods below freezing with lows below 18F,  here in the occasionally frozen north, although they have survived very brief exposures to such lows.   The Brown's Select nearly made it, and I've never tried the new Arctic or Orange Frost varieties, and there may be some other hardier mandarins or Satsumas.  Changsha survives here down to extended periods below freezing with lows down to 8F.  I do have a Keraji, reputed to be hardy to 5F, but it hasn't been tested for hardiness yet in the extended freezes at my location.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 11:19:31 AM by jim VH »

DaveinNoVA

• Fairfax, Virginia
    • View Profile
    • Broadleaf Evergreens for the Mid Atlantic
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2021, 07:25:42 AM »
[/url]<br />[/img]

My Xie Shan in a container in northern VA. Not many fruits, but they are large with pebbly rind.  Haven't tried one yet.  It bloomed a bit more over the summer and has some quarter-sized fruit developing as well.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2021, 09:56:03 AM »
Dave, how old is your Xie Shan?

jim VH

• Vancouver,Wa. zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2021, 10:07:19 AM »
     My one Keraji mandarin fell off the tree a couple days ago, so I thought I'd pick one of each of the sweet citrus I grow and line them up side by side, then eat them to see how they compare.
     From left to right the fruit are : LA Early, Keraji, Xie Shan and Changsha.
     The Xie Shan, third from the left, has the palest skin and a noticeable neck on it.
     The LA Early and Xie shan are zipper-skinned when peeling.  The Changsha is very seedy and easy peel.  The Keraji is not easy to peel at all.
     The LA Early, Keraji and Changsha are relatively sweet and have good flavor; comparable to many store Satsumas.  The Xie Shan is sour as heck, probably due to a higher acid level; So sour, I cant judge the flavor.  Considering I'm about a thousand mile north of you Cali Boyz, It's not surprising my fruit is sourer than yours.  Since my tree's are dormant now, it's unlikely the sugar level will rise, so I'd better let the Xie Shan sit on the tree till January to let the acid level drop to a more acceptable level, though I might try one in a month or so.

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2021, 01:25:24 PM »
Hello Jim,
congratulation to your fruit success.
Very interesting and good report.
Hope to get my Kerajiand Changsa next year to flower/fruit.
Had this year 5 Satsumas miagawa which I liked very much.
Best regards Frank

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2021, 01:43:06 PM »
Jim, thanks for posting your fruit photos. Very interesting about the taste, I have only tried the Xie Shan. Is the LA Early better tasting than the normal Owari satsuma? My in-laws have two large Owari satsuma trees that gets hundreds of fruits from Dec-Jan time frame here in CA. Hope your Xie Shan tastes improves by Jan.

jim VH

• Vancouver,Wa. zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2021, 08:08:50 PM »
Thanks Tedburn.  It was interesting to make the side by side comparisons.
My Keraji was a bit of a cheat; I'd grafted it last year on Flying Dragon rootstock and it was in a pot.  So, I brought it in in March and it bloomed about 4-5 weeks earlier than the mid-May normal bloom time for Citrus up here.  Next year, I'll have a better idea how it does under normal PNW growing conditions.  The flavor was interesting, though; it seemed to have a bit of lemon mixed in with the Satsuma.
     My Changsha bloomed last year for the first time, about 11 years after I started it.  It's flavor is best earlier in the ripening season, when it's quite good, actually; it becomes bland and insipid by mid-December, so has to be eaten quickly and early, while the peel is still half green.
     I haven't tried Miyagawa, but I do have a Miho, which is derived from it.  The Miho is generally somewhat sweeter and a bit better flavored than the rest of mine, but it only set one late fruit this year, so was not included in the comparison.
     Hi Kaz.  Actually, I've never tasted the Owari Satsuma that I know about, although some of the store Satsumas are likely to be Owari.  Owari doesn't attain full size or flavor in the short growing season up here, it's not early-season enough.  The golf ball sized fruit were terrible, so I eventually exposed it to the frost gods to see how hardy it was.  Only the earliest ripening Satsumas attain full size and reasonable sweetness and flavor. 
     Based on comparisons to store Satsumas.  I'd put LA Early in the middle of the range, when fully sweetened up, normally by late November.  This year seemed to be sweeter earlier, probably  due to that unusual record breaking 116F heat wave we had this year in late June.
     The Xie Shan, I'll just have to wait and see.  It is early enough to attain full size, so that's room for hope.   Fortunately, Satsumas seem to hang well on the tree for months.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2021, 12:48:35 PM »

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2021, 07:52:38 PM »
sc4001992,

How are your Xie Shan, Kiyomi, Sumo, Ponkan, etc all doing?   Any new update of taste evaluation?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2021, 10:50:03 PM »
None of them are fully ripe yet. I did pick another Xie Shah so I will compare the taste today with my unknown satsuma #1.

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2021, 11:55:32 PM »
I have a small Okitsu tree which had 5-6 fruits (I stripped about 20 of them in early summer).   They are yellow now and taste about same sweet as Satsuma's fruits but much less sour.  Most Satsuma fruits still have some sour but many feel that was good.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2021, 01:47:02 AM »
Eric, yeah I agree that the owari and okitsu wase satsuma's seem to need to hang longer on the tree, maybe until Dec-Jan for the taste to get sweetest. My satsuma (unk #1) ripens earlier, most are all fully ripe now. I tried to wait to pick this one so I can compare the taste with the Xie Shah fruit. I'll start another post on the Sumo (Shiranui) so we can see how and when the sumo fruits ripen at different areas. Interesting that I see two different ripening groups of sumo on my trees. The earlier purchased budwood (UCR, CCP) in 2017 and the later ones from 2019-2020.

jim VH

• Vancouver,Wa. zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2021, 11:16:18 AM »
Hi Eric,

I'm going to wait another 10 days before trying another Xie Shan.
      I have been eating the Changshas and they're still good, though rather seedy; seedier than the white trash neighborhood I grew up in.  I have enough Changsha fruit to do some measurements of sugar and acid levels of the Changshas at ten day intervals.  Since October 25th, the acid level has dropped about 20%, from 1.6% to 1.3%.  Hopefully the Xie Shan acid level drops faster than that.
     I took a dozen LA Early Satsumas to Thanksgiving meal yesterday and everyone thought they were good, so I have an independent poll of their quality.  I still rate them about midrange, compared to store Satsumas. 
     I'll do a side by side comparison in early December.   

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2021, 01:32:34 PM »
Jim,

I was thinking about the LA Early satsuma, is it the same variety as the "Early St. Ann Satsuma" mandarin that the CCPP has ?

Here's the details of the Early St. Ann:
https://citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/CRC4240.html
say it is Citrus unshiu Marcow, CRC 4240, VI 825

jim VH

• Vancouver,Wa. zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2021, 10:53:15 AM »
Hi Kaz
     They're similar, but not identical.  Both developed in Louisiana a couple decades ago, they may be the earliest ripening Satsumas around; late August in Louisiana.  I actually have both, but I just grafted my Early St. Anne onto a dwarfing rootstock a couple years ago, so I'm not letting any fruit develop until it achieves a size to it.  In my opinion, the Early St Anne is somewhat later and has somewhat better flavor, but there's really not a lot of difference between the two, for all that.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2021, 04:00:17 PM »
Jim,

Thanks for the feedback, I may need to add the Early St. Ann to my collection, sounds good. Your fruit comparision and taste photo shows the Xie Shan as a pretty decent size fruit. I picked another Xie Shan the other day to see how it compares to some of my mandarins that are ripe and some that were not (but wind was blowing some off).

I will post a few photos later today since Eric asked about the fruit status to show you how small my Xie Shan fruit is on my grafted branches (about 2").