Author Topic: Is anyone growing wax jambu? In container?  (Read 29711 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone growing wax jambu? In container?
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2012, 09:53:04 AM »
Harry there might be a few good new cultivars since then.Besides the Phets, thun klao,dang indo,tap tim chan and number one are all supposed to be excellent.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2012, 10:56:24 AM »
Harry there might be a few good new cultivars since then.Besides the Phets, thun klao,dang indo,tap tim chan and number one are all supposed to be excellent.

See.....that is what I am afraid of regarding planting any more of these things.  You mention Thun Klao.....which is what I think I was sent from Thailand.  As grown under my conditions, on my soil,  Thun Klao is not dicernably better  than the Sinnark.  Both leave me wanting,  tastewise, anyway. But, as I said before the ones pictured in Bocah's post seem dramatically different than what I am used to seeing.  Have you any comment regarding the the external appearance of the fruits Bocah has shown in comarison with the fruits you are familair with and further in comparison to Malay Apple (Syzygium malaccense).  Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

Harry

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2012, 04:06:45 PM »
Bocahs ones are waxy like S.sam. and appear to be cultivars imported from thailand.Skin and shape just aren't right for malay apples.I think the key to getting fruits to reach their full potential is to match the climate as much as possible north and NE thai types are more likely to be true than those of the torrid south and east.Even the big red cone malays don't match it with cultivated waxes.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2012, 05:27:02 PM »
Bocahs ones are waxy like S.sam. and appear to be cultivars imported from thailand.Skin and shape just aren't right for malay apples.I think the key to getting fruits to reach their full potential is to match the climate as much as possible north and NE thai types are more likely to be true than those of the torrid south and east.Even the big red cone malays don't match it with cultivated waxes.

There are mountain apples (malays) here that are also very good tasting. Plenty of bland watery ones also. I think the line between these two species is kind of blurred, and there might even be some hybrids between the two blurring it even further.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2012, 04:06:34 AM »
Fruitlovers malays are reasonably common here also but wax apples are only held by only a couple of people.The large red conical malays can be very nice.My feeling is the two species are not closely related with significant differences in growth habit,flower characterisctics and foliage attributes.I would be surprised if the could hybridize.

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2012, 06:46:47 AM »
I have a "Black Pearl" that is in a container and has been fruiting fro me for the past couplfe of years.  It is doing really well in the container

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2012, 07:24:48 AM »
I have a "Black Pearl" that is in a container and has been fruiting fro me for the past couplfe of years.  It is doing really well in the container

Jacob....how does the Black Pearl taste?  Have you had any other cultivars?  Any comparison you could make would be appreciated.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2012, 07:43:38 AM »
Hey Harry,

As for the how the "Black Pearl" tastes, it has a very subtle sweetness.  It is not a super sweet fruit, but definitely not on par with a Water Chestnut. Unfortunately, I have not tried any other Cultivars to compare it against.

I would say that if a water chestnut is a "1" on a scale of 1-10 for Sweetness, then the "Black Pearl" is a "6". 

Hope this is helpful.

Jacob

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2012, 08:09:50 AM »
A friend brought me some at Christmas time from his farm (he won't give plants) and they were almost like apples in flavour.There are good ones and many around thailand taste nice not bland.One type that i was told was Chanthaburi red was great being big and luscious.I have not seen references to it.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Is this black pearl wax jambu?
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2012, 01:18:11 PM »
Does anyone know for certain if these are the black pearl variety or something else?  They were given to me to my wife so no chance of me seeing the tree...yet

this one, sister-in-law's tree, isn't as sweet as the above but much sweeter than the pink (below)

highest water content but very bland ... I still prefer to eat these over buttered popcorn, I ate the whole thing within 5mins from start of the movie  ;D

Tim

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2012, 05:41:56 PM »

Tim I believe black pearl is more in this style but darker, like about a dozen or more thai and taiwanese S.samarangense varieties.They are very large, seedless and pear shaped.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2012, 08:23:03 AM »
Jacob,

Would you be kind enough to post a picture or two of your container fruiting Black Pearl? Please.  :)
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2012, 09:05:40 PM »
Thank you David & Mike for your help.  Yes, those pictured were picked a bit early, a tad bitter.

I got to try the black pearl today, it's pretty darn good.  Very sweet and juicy,  my little girls loved it too,  they kept asking for more.  That's going to be next on the wish list ;D
Tim

Xeno

• Ventura CA Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2012, 09:28:48 PM »
Thank you David & Mike for your help.  Yes, those pictured were picked a bit early, a tad bitter.

I got to try the black pearl today, it's pretty darn good.  Very sweet and juicy,  my little girls loved it too,  they kept asking for more.  That's going to be next on the wish list ;D
Here you go Escondido man! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wax-Apple-Syzygium-samarangense-Black-Pearl-Live-Cutting-Plants-1-Gallon-/321004459350?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4abd5b5556 I bought from this man. I'll post a photo of what it looks like tomorrow.

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2012, 12:20:33 AM »
As a reply for the first post,i understand S.Javanicum is used as reference for both S.Samarangense and S.Aqueum since such species are quite similar. All i know S.Samarangense is slightly larger with slighty larger fruit.

Malay apple(S.Malaccense) is different though...much wider and darker foliage. Larger fruit.

I have both wax apples and malay in 7 gallon containers but they haven't flowered yet. One of my seedlings which grew from a seed i found in a park looks different though, i wonder if it's something else.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 12:23:03 AM by digigarden »

Xeno

• Ventura CA Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2012, 12:45:26 AM »
Xeno and all
I visited that ebay owner's nursery......His fruit trees are all unknown varieties/or he can't remember what variety when asked......eventhough he listed such and such on ebay. I drove for hours....... >:(
:/ Dang. He had a sapodilla that I wanted to buy. Oh well, for $20? Not bad.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2012, 05:45:39 PM »
Xeno and all
I visited that ebay owner's nursery......His fruit trees are all unknown varieties/or he can't remember what variety when asked......eventhough he listed such and such on ebay. I drove for hours....... >:(
Which el monte nursery is this? There are at least 4 within 1-2 miles of one another.

I bought a black king kong from Temple this year. Temple has been around for over a decade. The younger brother and helpers know much less about growing things than the owner.

Black king kong is supposed to be the bigger version of the black pearl.

Xeno

• Ventura CA Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2012, 01:34:48 AM »
Xeno and all
Which el monte nursery is this? There are at least 4 within 1-2 miles of one another.

I bought a black king kong from Temple this year. Temple has been around for over a decade. The younger brother and helpers know much less about growing things than the owner.

Black king kong is supposed to be the bigger version of the black pearl.
I've been looking for that variety for a while now. Has it fruited for you yet? How much was it?

Xeno

• Ventura CA Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2012, 12:00:38 AM »
Xeno and all
So I did buy from this guy: and here's what I got.  Acerola on the top and Wax apple on the bottom.

gtw7983

• Corona, ca zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2012, 01:24:56 AM »
My Black Pearl has been in its 20" pot for a year since I bought it from Mimosa LA as a 7 gallon 18 months ago.It was declining during the first 6 months due to being root bound and really poor and old porting soil used by tr nursery, but coming back very nicely since I semi-barerooted it and repotted it into the "gritty mix". The fruits last year were pretty bland; I didn't let it fruit this year to bulk it up.

Xeno

• Ventura CA Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2012, 02:16:28 AM »
Have any of you guys have problems with suckering? I believe my wax apple has a sucker growing. It has the suckering symptons; vertical fast growth and near the base of the plant.

I'm debating what I want to do. Either cut the sucker and try to root it out or let it stay. What would you do?

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2012, 07:58:45 AM »
i would cut it before it gets thick...

had this only with an air layer.

naveed1419

• pakistan, punjab,lahore,9-10
    • View Profile
jumbo wax
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2015, 02:22:48 AM »
hi, i need to buy jumbo wax varieties can u help which nurseries i can get these varieties and if that nursery have website plz pot me web address it would be greaat help thanks