Author Topic: Question for JF  (Read 19154 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Question for JF
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2012, 07:09:42 PM »
No one here had Alphonso and Minosa wanted $129 for 4' tree. I paid total $100, It was cheaper. It depends on what you getting. Like we cant find maha chanok here, dumb nurceries dont have any plans either. May be Eathen should start maha chanok!

I will email Richard Wilson CEO @ La Verne Nursery and send him the varieties we would like them to graft. If you make a list I will forward him your request. Anyhow, KUDOS to La Verne Nursery for stepping up to the plate.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2012, 07:12:17 PM »
Hey folks, I just came back from Costco in Fountain Valley with 7 trees. I bought 2 Fino, 1 Honeyheart and 1 Vietnamese Cherimoyas at $25.95 each. I also bought a Mamey Sapote at $39.95, a Haden mango at $39.95, and 1 Goldfinger banana at $16.95. All the cherimoyas and mangos are grafted, but the mammey sapote is not, it is a seedling.
There are also avocados, Keitt, Timatayo and manila mangos. asian pears and passion fruit vines for sale.
The prices are great. There are quite some trees left when I left, but I think the good ones won't last long. If anyone is interested, you'd better hurry. I will post pictures later.
Ouch...with no guaranty of quality...
- Rob

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2012, 07:13:15 PM »
Hi JF, have you got hold of Roger? Are you gonna visit him tomorrow after the Costco trip? If so, when is he available? I want to buy some cherimoya trees from him tomorrow if possible. Thanks!
mi cha e l

Hi GT

I will be busy all weekend. He is usally at home during the weekends just call him up and tell him you are coming over, he is a cool dude.

Mod Edit: Please dont post other's personal info without their express permission.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 07:51:57 PM by murahilin »

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2012, 07:35:06 PM »
Beats the cost of shipping from Florida! And their pizza and hot dogs are pretty good! ;)
Yeah but La Verne's grafts are known for being really high.  Quality rules.  You know the old saying, "good _____ are not cheap and ____ are not good"...
Rob,
You are dead on.....I lost several magoes from Lavern. Little roots/weak plant and high graft but then again 1 year return policy....can't beat that....All my in ground mangoes are from plantogram....and the ones from lavern are for experiment only....

Hi David

I use to have an issue with their high grafts and pencil thin trunk but they have correct the issues. The fact is that La Verne  is the only addressing the high demand for tropicals in Socal and I think we should give Richard Wilson in his staff a chance. BTW, I will soon have pics of my La Verne Thompson thin trunk that flower profusely and before most of my other 20 mangos!! I got to go guys....

MMMMommy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2012, 07:44:29 PM »
Can someone tell me where exactly is this Costco?  Is it the one on Euclid & Garden Grove?  Also, do you know if there are any trees left?  I want to buy the Mamey Sapote!!!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2012, 07:47:39 PM »
I must be confused. Plantogram offers Mamey under sapodilla, so I was wondering if its a sapodilla or sapote. from my understanding sapodilla and sapote are two differ things. no?

Sapodilla, means little sapote.  Also known as chico, which means litte. I call it the brown sugar fruit, because of it's taste. In olde days was mostly used for making chewing gum from it's latex, but fruits are very sweet also. Mamey is in a different genus: Pouteria sapota. Sapodilla is: Manilkara zapota.
Oscar

gtw7983

• Corona, ca zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2012, 11:30:13 PM »
Here are the trees I got from Costco today.
1. Fino De Jete Cherimoya #1

2. Honeyheart Cherimoya

3. Vietnamese Cherimoya

4. Fino Cherimoya #2

5. Seedling Mamey Sapote

6. Haden mango

7. Goldfinger Banana

gtw7983

• Corona, ca zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2012, 11:39:30 PM »
I don't know why but the picture for the Mammey did not show up on the prieviou post.

As JF said, we should give credit to La Verne even though their high grafts are ugly, their trees could be small or pencil thin, their potting mix are bad for long term planting. I just found today that I have about 100 fruit trees and over half is from La Verne. The variety and price and most important, the availability is really beneficial to us Southern Californians.
To answer a few questions:
This Costco is at 17900 Newhope Street, Fountain Valley, CA 92708.
There is no Nam Doc Mai for sale, the only mangos are Keitt, Haden, Timatayo and Manila.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2012, 11:48:07 PM »
I don't know why but the picture for the Mammey did not show up on the prieviou post.

6. Haden mango

As JF said, we should give credit to La Verne even though their high grafts are ugly, their trees could be small or pencil thin, their potting mix are bad for long term planting. I just found today that I have about 100 fruit trees and over half is from La Verne. The variety and price and most important, the availability is really beneficial to us Southern Californians.
To answer a few questions:
This Costco is at 17900 Newhope Street, Fountain Valley, CA 92708.
There is no Nam Doc Mai for sale, the only mangos are Keitt, Haden, Timatayo and Manila.

You bought a Haden and it looks very good. Looks like you had a gold rush. Great to see how many diverse tropicals were available for you California guys it was like Christmas in July May
Haden is my best, largest, most productive mango tree here in SE Florida. Don't believe all those people giving it no respect. Plus the fruit tastes very good ....for me at least.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 12:40:28 PM by zands »

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2012, 12:41:38 AM »
Here are the trees I got from Costco today.
1. Fino De Jete Cherimoya #1

2. Honeyheart Cherimoya

3. Vietnamese Cherimoya

4. Fino Cherimoya #2

5. Seedling Mamey Sapote

6. Haden mango

7. Goldfinger Banana

Not too shabby.....$25 grafted cherimoya,$39 grafted mangos$16 maracuya, those prices can't be beat!

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2012, 12:50:41 AM »
Don't get me wrong about supporting Laverne.......No one can beat their prices/1 year return policy in CA.....but overall...... their mango grafts/plants are inferior to out of state. I'm sure you CA guys know what i'm talking about..........
DT

Hi David

those high grafts are done for a reason......Tom Spellman is one of the best propagator in the country. He was the one that started the high graft for La Verne before he move on to Dave Wilsons Nursery. He is a life long Orange County CRFG member, Next time he gives a presentation I will invite you to the meeting so you can ask him personally why the high graft is more effective for us,
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 12:55:00 AM by JF »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2012, 03:29:39 AM »
Nice looking plants. I would suggest getting some scion wood eventually to graft onto your seedling mamey. Otherwise it will take very long to fruit and you risk it not having very good fruit.
As to how the 3-4 ft. mangos can have such small root systems, i would guess they pump the trees regularly with foliar fertilizers.
Oscar

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2012, 11:04:41 AM »
JF, got a Haden and Keitt....very beautiful and healthy. The rootstock is not as thick as the stuff from Florida but in time they will get there.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2012, 02:33:38 PM »
Yeah, JF....Like Dave I've very curious about the high graft - if not for a quite take
on the scion-to-sale motive then what?

Congrats to all the SoCallies who bought stuff at that Costco in FV - hopefully it will inspire other
costco's around here to offer that stuff......  I've got all four varieties of those mangos
so I'm sitting tight for now....will hopefully have a report of my mango grafts of two weeks ago soon....
The 100 plus degree days for the last week have I'm sure been a challenge to the little scions
inside their aluminum foil tents...I probably should have grafted closer to the middle of April....

Unlearn and live as they say.....

Fangulous

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2012, 08:12:36 PM »
Yeah, JF....Like Dave I've very curious about the high graft - if not for a quite take
on the scion-to-sale motive then what?

Congrats to all the SoCallies who bought stuff at that Costco in FV - hopefully it will inspire other
costco's around here to offer that stuff......  I've got all four varieties of those mangos
so I'm sitting tight for now....will hopefully have a report of my mango grafts of two weeks ago soon....
The 100 plus degree days for the last week have I'm sure been a challenge to the little scions
inside their aluminum foil tents...I probably should have grafted closer to the middle of April....

Unlearn and live as they say.....

Fangulous

MangoDog

Let me remind you that little Manny came from La Verne. I have a few possible HITS but too early to tell.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2012, 12:55:40 AM »
LASTEST INFO

Costco received another 160 grafted cherimoyas today from La Verne. Another shipment of Mango will arrive tomorrow.

gtw7983

• Corona, ca zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2012, 08:09:14 AM »
It is a shame I can't go back to the Costco since I have to work this weekend! Will there be more different cultivars of cherimoyas and mangos? Or just more of the same trees?

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2012, 09:23:42 AM »
they are replenishing what's selling and I believe it's Honeyheart cherimoya and four varieties of mangos. I'll find out more later.

JF

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2012, 07:46:50 PM »
LAST UPDATE: Tomorrow if the last Day.

pics of new stocl..lot's of grafted mangos, passion fruit, asian pear, dragon fruit ect. CHERIMOYAS SOLD OUT!

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2012, 11:59:51 PM »
J, from what I heard, Costco ran out because La Verne  gave them all of the Cherimoyas that were available for sale. Hopefully they will continue to go after some of the sub tropicals.

gtw7983

• Corona, ca zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2012, 09:40:00 AM »
Hi Cuban007, thank you for sharing the information about this sale event at the other forum. If it were not for you, I would never have found four cherimoyas I've looking for for a long time. I've been checking La Verne's availability list on their website, which shows cherimoyas will be available in June. This is confirmed by the buyer in the Home Depot garden center in Corona, where I live, when I tried to order through her. It is surprising to see all those nice cherimoyas at Costco on Thursday, so I grabbed four. Also, you can't the price of $25.95. I mean even home depot sells cherimoyas around $35 I believe and all nurseries sell them at $49.95. I am happy to find the varieties I like at such a good price. Thank you again Cubab007!

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2012, 01:56:33 PM »
No prob GT, I am glad you were able to pick some nice trees at good prices. Just F.Y.I., over the weekend they got more Hadens, Keitts, and now Gold Nugget and Glenn mango trees as well. Today I looked and they only thing that they were out were the Cherimoyas. It looks like they still have enough of the other trees to last a couple of days.

gtw7983

• Corona, ca zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2012, 02:18:32 PM »
I thought the event ends on the 20th, yesterday. If they still have the trees for sale, I will probably go grab another Keitt sometime this week. Thanks again, Cuban007!

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2012, 08:35:26 PM »
I thought the event ends on the 20th, yesterday. If they still have the trees for sale, I will probably go grab another Keitt sometime this week. Thanks again, Cuban007!

now Gold Nugget and Glenn mango trees as well.

I can vouch for Gold Nugget mango which is late season in FL at least. Not as late as Keitt but better in some ways. It is a smaller mango than Keitt. One prominent tropical fruit guy here really liked the GN fruit I gave him last year.

Get a Glenn too and you have a solid early tree and a solid late tree
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 11:10:21 PM by zands »

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2012, 12:50:08 AM »
They will keep selling whatever is left. Got a Glenn today. Saw plenty of Keitts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk