Author Topic: Small mango lots o' fruits!  (Read 2307 times)

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
Small mango lots o' fruits!
« on: March 01, 2017, 01:24:32 PM »
I have a Pickering mango about 4ft tall with maybe 30-50 fruits forming. How many should I leave or should I cut all the flowers off? Any ideas?

Thanks! DG
Trying to grow it all!

shinzo

• High Density Urban Cultivator
    • Tunis (Tunisia) - 10 b
    • View Profile
Re: Small mango lots o' fruits!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 02:42:48 PM »
I think it is more a question of tree age, canopy size, trunk and branch thickeness, than a simple criteria of height without any other clue. That's why more info on the tree or a picture would allow the members to help you with more acurate advice.

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 02:54:49 PM »
I'm not sure how big they are but I'm sure the tree will do it's own thinning out process. But if the tree is only a year old I wouldn't let it hold any.

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 03:55:03 PM »
Thanks y'all I'll try and post a picture.

The tree has been planted since around mango flowering time in west central fl last year. The tree was bought grafted already and the nursery owner at Crowley nursery in Sarasota suggested cut of the flowers that were present at the time of purchase so I did. The plant isn't very thick in trunk or branches yet but has grown significantly wide wise since planting. Not a ton of height but its a dwarf type anyway. Looks healthy and happy mostly though I'm no mango expert. No visible diseases or pests.

Thanks again! DG
Trying to grow it all!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 09:15:34 AM »
It will drop most of the fruit on its own.  It probably won't hurt the tree to let whatever remains develop and ripen.
John

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 10:24:43 AM »
Do not let young small trees like that hold fruit.  Fruit would likely be below par plus its not good for the future health and growth of the tree.
- Rob

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 04:30:41 PM »
sorry to piggyback on this post but it is related to the topic and I asked on the citrus forum but got no response. I know with mango you should let young trees set small fruit before culling (as opposed to taking off the flowers before fruit set) - is this the case for all young grafted trees that you let the fruit set and then cull? citrus as well? I have a 6 month old citrus graft pushing several flowers and I want to make sure I shouldn't literally "nip them in the bud".

TravelingFriend

• North America, SE states, Louisiana, Georgia, Florida, Zone 9a - 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 02:36:48 PM »
I was just reading a post, http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=19422.msg241341#msg241341

May shed light! I say let fruit form, and then cut fruit if needed. Not the flower or panicle .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk