Author Topic: Mango cutback.  (Read 886 times)

Queenbee

• Australia. Queensland, Brisbane Zone 10
    • View Profile
Mango cutback.
« on: May 10, 2020, 12:59:00 AM »
Hi, I have some dwarf and smaller mango varieties, One is R2E2 which is growing narrow and tall. When would be the best time to take the main trunk down a size, to help it bush out for more flowering tips.  Also have a King Thai which is about 1 1/2 m high, single trunk.  A Royal Red which is growing well and a dwarf Irwin still growing well. 
My aim is to keep the fruit on lower branches when they finally flower.  Normally I presume one would do this after finished fruiting but these are not yet setting fruit.  Do I cut back in Spring in sub-tropics.  Your advice would be welcome.
I have some KP's, are any of these growing tips suitable for grafting onto KP trees.

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
Re: Mango cutback.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 05:55:46 AM »
Ideally after fruiting season but if your aim is to make it bushy then you can prune all year, the tree won’t fruit though if you continually prune. You can graft any mango tree unto each other.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango cutback.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 10:26:13 AM »
Here it has been cut too much off the mango trees and they skip flowering that year. Im trying to learn the balance of maintaining size while not jeopardizing production...