Author Topic: Tasting the Citrondarin, a Bizarre Citrus Fruit from Soviet Russia  (Read 283 times)

fruitmentor

• Morgan Hill, California
    • View Profile
    • fruitmentor
Hi Everyone,

As part of my project to introduce new citrus varieties, I had the chance to taste the citrondarin, a very unusual citrus variety that came from the Soviet Union. It was suggested to be introduced by Juli Mallett, a reader of this forum, and I thank Juli for the suggestion. I visited a citrondarin tree at the University of California Givaudan Citrus Variety Collection, picked some fruit, and tasted it with a couple of volunteers and made a video about it.

With the video I am hoping to raise awareness for my project to introduce new citrus varieties (see my prior post). In the future I will publish more videos of the other citrus varieties that we tasted that day. If you have any varieties that you would like to see introduced, please let me know via the following survey, which should take just a few minutes:
Citrus Variety Introduction Survey

Here is the video:

Please feel free to share the survey and the video elsewhere.

By the way, it had been thought that the citrondarin is a graft chimera but it is not clear that this is really the case. It may be a hybrid fruit rather than a chimera.

Thank you,
Dan

Sylvain

• Bergerac, France
    • View Profile
    • Looking for Wakonai.
Re: Tasting the Citrondarin, a Bizarre Citrus Fruit from Soviet Russia
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 07:24:23 AM »
You made a mistake. Prague chimera is a chimera but Citrondarin is not, and we see it on your faces!...
Next time, taste the right one!   ;D

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 11:32:17 AM »
I liked this comment under the video:
Tymoteusz Babiński
In Soviet Russia oranges eat you
  :'(
Best regards,
                       Ilya

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 02:57:38 PM »
Well, in the video it says it "failed the flavor test" and was nasty.

I have tasted Poncirus trifoliata fruit from an apparently unordinary tree that I could manage to eat and had a flavor less worse than Poncirus hybrids I've tasted.
I do wonder what the results would be if these crosses were remade using a less bad tasting type of Poncirus.

I was told the tree was just sold as an ordinary Flying Dragon from One Green World. They must have grown it from a seedling. Everything about it appears to be just like a Flying Dragon, pretty sure no chance it could be a hybrid.
I'm now growing several seedlings from it.

A question: Shouldn't this have been posted in Cold Hardy Citrus?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 03:01:50 PM by SoCal2warm »

orangedays

• East Coast, Zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 11:02:05 AM »
Fruitmentor,  Thank you for all the grafting videos you put on you-tube. After watching your videos I have had good success with both cleft and bud grafting of citrus. I used the same technique on peach and plums this year and found it worked with 100% success.  I really appreciate the knowledge you have shared and enjoy all your videos. They are very well done. Thanks again.