Author Topic: American black cherry  (Read 1606 times)

orangedays

• East Coast, Zone 8a
    • View Profile
American black cherry
« on: June 26, 2021, 09:57:55 PM »
There are many wild black cherries in the US south east where sweet cherries and pie cherries do not grow or live very long.  Does anyone know if black cherry cultivars have been selected for fruit and if any one is working with these fruit? 

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: American black cherry
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 11:12:49 PM »
Capulin is a sub-species of black Cherry and has had quite a few cultivars selected. At one point, the University of Florida hybridized Capulin and Florida black cherry. I do not know what became of the trees. Suposedly the Capulin trees did not thrive in Florida like they do in California. You might check into Prunus Campanulata the flowering cherry. According to some people, the fruit is edible and can be used for jam??? Probably a better option would be Prunus Cerasifera the cherry plum or the low maintenance improved chickisaw plums like Gutherie.

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 02:18:32 AM »
Capulin is a sub-species of black Cherry and has had quite a few cultivars selected. At one point, the University of Florida hybridized Capulin and Florida black cherry.

BEing HUmid I am surprised they didn't use Carolina Cherries for breeding
or prunus serotina
https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/prunus-caroliniana/

we have some black cherries that are sweet, (wild (logan square in Chicago Neighborhood tree I've ate )
you could try making juice with the sour berries, that are wild
 but that does not answer your question sorry

Just use the wild berries , and dilute with gallons of water, and add a lot of sugar
I do this with wild grape (10 pounds , and 2 gallons of water ) but miss my window with cherries .
(edit Even store bought pure cherry juice at health food stores is super sour
I can add only a few ounces pure juice, and dilute with sugar , and a lot of water
(and those are cultivated sour cherries 
drinking it pure taste like lemon juice
although it is good for arthritis My Mom used it before for Pain in her Knees )
So why not do the same for Wild Cherries.

Nacking Cherry (prunus tomentosa  ) goes to zone 7 but do not know if it handles humid climates

How do the wild ones  taste anyways  if you've tried ?
One  of our native ones  trees are only 6 feet tall (or 2 metres )short lived tree's
 and Sand cherry only 1 to 2 feet tall.
Do the native ones by you grow small also ? we have big tree's as well.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 02:27:05 AM by Francis_Eric »

orangedays

• East Coast, Zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 12:41:39 PM »
The black cherry I am wondering about is prunus serotina.  It is the same as is used in black cherry lumber.  Some are sweet and taste similar to sweet cherry when they are fully ripe. The fruit are tiny and most are astringent and not very good.  They grow into large trees but suffer from black knot.  They grow throughout the eastern US.

Francis_Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 02:33:05 PM »
Oh the ones the size of a Pea we have those I can see a tree out my window.

WE also have a marble size fruit (tree) with sweet fruit but that is in Chicago (Logan Square)
I can not make promises on seeds of that,
but they lay on the ground
 so Could find them eventually if I do are you interested ?

Can denfinately get the pea size ones
Send your address (I do not like emailing back, and forth to much.)

the 3 foot tress are short lived these are quite a ways 25 miles
(Growing where I knew A woman Named Barb My Friend  that lived in the woods
very smart had many plants , heating, a kitchen, shower tent, Natural spring,
and cats that let her know of visitors  in Elgin Il.)

These seeds could be hard to get I forget when they ripen (3 foot native ones ) if your interested .

orangedays

• East Coast, Zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 06:17:23 PM »
Thanks, but no, I do not think they will grow in GA. We have the ones with pea sized fruit that are wild. I was wondering if they had any commercial use.

Francis_Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2021, 06:26:02 AM »
How much room do you have
The Marble ones are 60 foot tree's,
and look healthy taste are  sweet
good amount of meat to seed ratio.

Remember Not sure If I am going by there ,
but glad I was reminded completely forgot.

If I get some I will let everyone here know
last time I had a full grocery bag(s) full of seeds
someone threw it in the trash I think though as I remember it at least..

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2021, 02:10:35 PM »
If anyone in the north florida panhandle region has wild cherroes of any sort and they are edible please let me know. They do hrow where I am but can never catch a tree I can get to with fruit on it. Tried two different species from up north and another from Germany and they just don't do well here and eventually die. Would like some from my actual region.

Thanks! DG
Trying to grow it all!

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2021, 04:19:09 PM »
If anyone in the north florida panhandle region has wild cherroes of any sort and they are edible please let me know. They do hrow where I am but can never catch a tree I can get to with fruit on it. Tried two different species from up north and another from Germany and they just don't do well here and eventually die. Would like some from my actual region.

Thanks! DG

I live in North Alabama, not North Florida, but my black cherries (Prunus serotina) receive less chill hours than in most parts of its range. They might work for your needs. Unfortunately, it is the wrong time of year to harvest fruit and gather seeds. My trees have already produced their annual crop. My trees do produce edible fruit which tastes pretty good, but it is mostly pit. The only way to really utilize the fruit is to process it, into juice, jams, or something else.

hardyvermont

• Anderson SC z 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2021, 12:44:15 AM »
Capulin is a sub-species of black Cherry and has had quite a few cultivars selected. At one point, the University of Florida hybridized Capulin and Florida black cherry. I do not know what became of the trees. Suposedly the Capulin trees did not thrive in Florida like they do in California. You might check into Prunus Campanulata the flowering cherry. According to some people, the fruit is edible and can be used for jam??? Probably a better option would be Prunus Cerasifera the cherry plum or the low maintenance improved chickisaw plums like Gutherie.
Here is a cross.  Page 13.  Can't find U of Fl information.  https://scholars.unh.edu/agbulletin/410/