Author Topic: Finally a giant Megalanthus  (Read 2633 times)

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Finally a giant Megalanthus
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2021, 08:08:15 PM »
All these people with giant yellows, meanwhile me with a small 5 inch yellow store bought seedling...
Cheers!

vall

• San Diego 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2021, 02:38:19 PM »
I need to graft Palora onto my Colombian yellow.  The fruit finally ripened in January, two months after turning yellow, but they are tiny. Two spoonfuls of pulp.
- Val

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2021, 04:54:37 PM »
yeah I am removing the columbian yellow and using the peru plant.  Im going to graft a bunch of peruvian cuttings onto some other rootstocks because these meglanthus seem to have weak roots.  they always look thirsty even when well watered.  ill make a bunch of them and save you one Val. 
Brad Spaugh

Draak

• East Bay Area California, zone 9a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2021, 12:35:20 AM »
All these people with giant yellows, meanwhile me with a small 5 inch yellow store bought seedling...

Your seedling fruits are 5 inches long? That's pretty awesome!

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2021, 01:43:20 AM »

Your seedling fruits are 5 inches long? That's pretty awesome!
Shouldíve clarified it... the seedling is 5 inches long....
I keep saying things and then it sound better than it seems :P
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 12:52:47 PM by Tropical Bay Area »
Cheers!

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2021, 11:08:32 PM »
Iím getting a summer crop this year, but the size is down and I imagine fruiting twice will make the main crop smaller. The vine is just forming buds for the winter crop now. If I had been on my game I should have tried to hybridise giant yellow with Aztec gem or sugar dragon.

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2021, 06:28:09 PM »
Nate, I just wait until they turn 80-100% yellow. I use a brush to remove the spines before cutting it off the vine. Nice looking fruit Nate!

Simon

Thanks Simon! I harvested the fruit last night, I was hoping the recent heat would pump a little extra sugar into it. I got a brix of 20.4 and the whole family really enjoyed the fruit, this was the first DF Iíve fruited so Iím looking forward to the flavor complexity of the purple ones as this one was a sugar bomb with no acid/complexity. Happy Spring.

Nate

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2021, 08:34:08 PM »
Nate, I just wait until they turn 80-100% yellow. I use a brush to remove the spines before cutting it off the vine. Nice looking fruit Nate!

Simon

Thanks Simon! I harvested the fruit last night, I was hoping the recent heat would pump a little extra sugar into it. I got a brix of 20.4 and the whole family really enjoyed the fruit, this was the first DF Iíve fruited so Iím looking forward to the flavor complexity of the purple ones as this one was a sugar bomb with no acid/complexity. Happy Spring.

Nice, I've been waiting to cut mine also.  It looks like it should be over 500 grams.  These are quite a bit bigger than palora. 
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2021, 11:43:36 AM »
i got tired of waiting for this thing to yellow up and cut it.  It had been there since October or November.  It weighs just over 1 lb.

I thought it was pretty good and sent the pic to a friend.  She proceeded to burst my bubble and tell me her store bought palora is 700g.  Maybe we will get ours bigger in coming years, the plant is still small and I've also started grafting this one onto better rootstocks.

Brad Spaugh

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2021, 09:03:55 PM »

Went to a friend's place yesterday and he has been getting good crops of Ecuador yellows for a few years and this is a fairly typical one.

nosoup4u

• Redwood City, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2021, 09:31:33 PM »
i got a cutting from Brad's Peruvian Yellow mid-2019, and after about 2 years it's trying to flower for the first time!  I'm hoping the fruit will set while there is still some warm weather so maybe it ripens quicker, but I'm not getting my hopes up.  Could be fun to pick a fruit in February while it's cold and (hopefully) raining.

I wasn't sure how it would handle the cooler Bay Area climate, but it's doing surprisingly well.  I realized it doesn't like cold + wet, so I bring it onto our porch (outside but protected from rain) in the winter and it does just fine. It definitely slows down for several months from ~November through ~March though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk