Author Topic: Wampee cultivars  (Read 878 times)

Draak

• East Bay Area California, zone 9a/b
    • View Profile
Wampee cultivars
« on: September 25, 2021, 01:19:32 PM »
From searching the posts here, it seems that the 'yeem pay' varietal is absolutely amazing! The next most talked about varietal is chicken heart/guy sahm/Chi Hsin, and I've seen people describe it as OK tasting, but spicy and smaller. Unfortunately, yeem pay seems to be completely unavailable in the USA.

Are there any other great tasting varietals out there?

directrepeat

• Austin, Texas USA zone 8b
    • View Profile
Re: Wampee cultivars
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 08:09:24 PM »
Did you find any sources of these names cultivars? I'd be very interested if so!

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 08:57:19 AM »
Wampee is one of the all time favorite for my family.  All the family members planted one or two in the yard from a seedling from a Chicken Tong tree that brought 20 years ago from a local nursery.  The seedlings didn't came true, all of them are slightly different, my tree is over 50% seedless and the other with seeds have big and small seeds, it various.  Overall the favor is great.  I think the only way to grow wampee in US is from seeds.  It can be flowering within 5 years.

Wampee is a very popular fruit tree in the Canton region of China.  Seedless wampee is the rarest type out there, and it is the most difficult one to obtain.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 09:01:31 AM by pinkturtle »

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 11:11:04 AM »
Isn't wampee quite cold hardy and which tastes better: wampee or pink wampee?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk