Author Topic: Sweet Potato  (Read 3820 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Sweet Potato
« on: November 10, 2021, 05:22:44 PM »
Anyone growing sweet potatos ?

Can you grow sweet potatos in a pot or a bed container?  I don't have much space to let the vine grow in ground so just wondering if anyone is growing these sweet potatos in a enclosed planter?

I have the Okinawa/Molokai sweet potato (purple color inside) and it grows well but not getting any potato since I don't have space to let the roots run underground. I had one potato that grew under one of my planters (over cement) and it looked like a pancake potato with roots.

If you have any purple sweet potatoes, please post some photos of your tuber.

The world's record potato, weighs 17 lbs.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 02:38:14 PM by sc4001992 »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Sweet Potato
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 06:04:43 PM »
Here's my flat purple sweet potato.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 01:48:36 AM »
Hi Kaz,

I harvested a few of the Okinawans and Molokai purple last week.

I did not take photo of the Molokai, but they were same large size.  I haven’t tasted the Molokai yet but they didn’t have any sweetness raw.  The Purple Okinawans are my favorite and have grown them for years.  The smaller one on the top grew in a 2 gallon pot.  The smaller one is the normal size I usually find at the Japanese market.  I didn’t intend to leave in the pot, I was just rooting some cuttings and forgot about them.  I was surprised to find the tuber because the pot has been neglected.  They’re curing now, so will taste the Molokai cooked next week.

Janet

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2021, 02:06:44 AM »
Janet, wow your sweet potatoes are large !

When the potatoes have the tubers, do they grow out of the ground a little so that you can tell where they are or do you need to dig up the plant and find the tubers underground ?

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2021, 09:46:56 AM »
The Okinawans start to protrude out of the soil or are near the surface so I can feel them by digging around with my fingers.  The ones I harvested were growing under 6 large tomato plants.  I gave the Molokais less competition since it was my first year growing them.  I needed a shovel to find where they were.  I ended up cutting through a few that were similar to the size of your photos, but found 2 large ones.

I have found if I miss an Okinawan tuber, they will continue to grow bigger the following year.  I have harvested huge ones in the past that are ugly with thick skin, but still beautiful deep purple inside and delicious.

I also love the Korean purple variety, purple skin but light yellow flesh.  My mom harvests the stems of the vines and dries them to use as a stir fry vegetable in winter. 

Janet

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 08:36:06 PM »
I can verify that sweet potatoes will be highly productive when grown in 25 gallon pots. You may even be able to grow the vines on a trellis of sorts if you tie them in place. They are crawlers more than climbers.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 11:45:26 PM »
If you plant them in a 25 gallon pot, does the roots grow and have the tubers and you can let the vine (with leaves) grow on a trellis like a passion fruit ?

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2021, 09:49:27 PM »
If you plant them in a 25 gallon pot, does the roots grow and have the tubers and you can let the vine (with leaves) grow on a trellis like a passion fruit ?

Yes, with one catch. Sweet potatoes do not have tendrils or twine like climbing vines. So, you would need to tie them onto or weave them into the trellis. The tubers are normal size, thoug. Actually, when the vine crawls along the ground naturally it sets roots and a lot of small potatoes that are not really worth the trouble to clean. If the vine does not touch the ground, it will send all those sugars back to the main root cluster and grow those potatoes bigger instead.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2021, 09:55:56 PM »
Ok, thanks for this info. Now it makes sense that my vine was growing outside of the 2 gallon pot and somehow the vine got under another larger pot that was on cement (patio) and it had the small smashed potato in the photo above. Maybe I should transplant my plant and I might find a larger potato in the pot. My vine grew about 20 ft from the pot on my other citrus trees and over the cement patio.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2021, 10:35:57 PM »
Ok, thanks for this info. Now it makes sense that my vine was growing outside of the 2 gallon pot and somehow the vine got under another larger pot that was on cement (patio) and it had the small smashed potato in the photo above. Maybe I should transplant my plant and I might find a larger potato in the pot. My vine grew about 20 ft from the pot on my other citrus trees and over the cement patio.

I have seen those "sweet potato pancakes" before, too! If you clip the growing tip the vine will branch more and put out side shoots. If you don't, it can grow a long way! I have one that is getting close to 30' long!

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2021, 09:28:15 PM »
Kaz, i have 3 types growi g in raised beds.  One is white outside purple inside, one is purple in and out and one is orange in and out.  I have the names written somewhere,  it grows like a weed, super easy to grow tons of food. 
Brad Spaugh

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2021, 10:12:22 PM »
Brad, how deep is your raised bed ?
I was thinking of doing the same.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2021, 10:16:23 PM »
1ft deep, 4ft x 8ft

You probably want at least 2ft x 2ft minimum for sweet potatos.  3x3 or 4x4 would better. 

You could always plant them under other trees to maximize space.  Ive planted regular potatos and  watermelons under fruit trees.  No reason you couldnt do it with sweet potato. 
Brad Spaugh

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2021, 11:53:08 AM »
Growing great under my banana trees, this vine is from an orange one that started to sprout on our counter so we threw it in the dirt, I had no idea it would grow so well. We harvested some of them a couple weeks ago and they were great. They had more of a creamy consistency than the store bought ones. Does anyone know if you’re suppose to let them sit out or something for a while to get rid of some of the starch?

Nate

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2021, 12:11:36 PM »
Nate, your banana tree fruits look great. I have not heard that you should let the fruit sit out for a while. If you like the orange flesh sweet potato then you need to try the purple ones, they are just as good but looks even better.

I just cut most of my molokai purple vine since I cleaned up some pots and plants in my cement patio so I still have many cuttings sitting in water. These vines root fast just by keeping them in water. If you want a few cuttings then send me a PM, I would trade for some of your orange ones.

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2021, 12:31:12 PM »
Thanks Kaz! A trade sounds great, I’ll shout you a pm. Those naners are dwarf cavendish, grow very well here.
Nate

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2021, 02:56:14 PM »
Kaz,

I did a taste test of the Molokai and Okinawan purple, both harvested and cured for 2 weeks.  Okinawan was a lot sweeter.  The Molokai were a darker purple, but the Okinawan are a beautiful purple as well.  Maybe the Molokais need longer storage to sweeten up. Starches will convert to sugar and sweeten up after storage.  Also, maybe the Molokai needs longer growing time to achieve more sugar.  The leaves of the Molokai are a beautiful purple on the new leaves so I may keep growing it, but my whole family prefers the Okinawans for taste.  I have not harvested most of my crop yet, so will let you know if comparisons change after longer growing time.

Janet

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2021, 03:05:06 PM »
I’ve been growing sweet potatoes in raised bed under other fruit trees and plants for years.

Janet

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2021, 03:52:12 PM »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2021, 05:37:21 PM »
Janet, thanks for the info on storage of the sweet potato, I didn't know that the starch will turn to sugar if you wait.

Your yard (garden) looks neat, is that seedless kishu mandarin trees you have with all those fruits? My first favorite fruits were citrus and I have many varieties of citrus growing. What's your best tasting citrus fruits you have?

The Okinawa purple cuttings you sent me are doing well so I better put those in the raised bed first and get them to grow faster. Your potatoes are huge, need to get a veg garden going once I cut down my other fruit trees which is taking up most of my yard (mulberry, citrus, persimon, loquats). I'll post some photos of my backyard (temp) just for you to see how crowded it is.

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2021, 07:21:37 PM »
My yard is full of fruit trees and edible plants, too!  Ran out of room, so we finally bought a farm in Fallbrook last year. 

I love citrus!  I'm impressed you could identify the kishu from that picture.  I have 36 different varieties plus 3 seedlings planted at home and the farm, many I have not tasted yet.  My favorite from home is a Nules clementine that I got as a grafted seedling only a few inches tall about 15 years ago.  To me, it tastes as good if not better than the Shiranui.  I don't know if the label was accurate or not, I have read that Nules are commonly sold, but I have never seen or tasted one like the fruit from my tree. 

I'm most excited for my three seedling plants.  I started seeds from Temecula sweet mandarins about 10 years ago when they used to be sold locally, it's a cross between satsuma and ponkan.  Anyways I loved them and have had these three plants stunted in containers in my garden for the last decade.  I planted them at the farm and am looking forward to when they fruit.  I know that they may not be like the original, but fingers crossed I will get something as tasty. 

I love all the pictures of your plants and fruit you've shared from your garden on the forum.  I think they're beautiful.  Thankful for all your variety trials and you sharing and spreading the genetics.

Janet

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2021, 10:17:37 PM »
Hey Janet! Your garden looks very beautiful! You should have that picture you posted painted and hung in your home...Do you need to do anything special when converting the starch into sugar for two weeks or just leave on counter?
Nate

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2021, 12:46:07 AM »
Janet, I tasted the Temecula Sweet mandarin, it was excellent. I first thought it was a Shasta but then I saw the label. I couldn't find any scions of it, nice large mandarin fruits, have not seen any for sale again at the grocery store.

I heard that Shiranui (sumo) seeds will come true so maybe the Temecula Sweet will also. I have one seedling tree that is about 4 ft tall.

One interesting madarin I have from the UCR CCPP (VI-518) is a good tasting one and its unusual in that the seeds do not stay near the center of the fruit, instead it is in the middle of each fruit sack envelop.

I wouldn't mind buying a farm to grow fruit trees but it may not happen unless I hit the lotto.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 08:56:40 AM by sc4001992 »

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2021, 09:40:53 AM »
Nate,  store in the dark in a warm spot.  Check for condensation building up so moisture doesn’t cause mold.  I use a black fabric pot inside plastic container.   I planted your Gros Michel bananas at the farm, they’re doing great so far.  Hope they make it through winter okay.

Kaz,  hope one day citrus quarantine ends so we can share special varieties.  I will be ordering more bud wood in the spring, maybe I’ll catch up one day.😄

Janet

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2021, 10:37:07 AM »
Thanks Janet. Happy to hear the Gros Michel is doing good, they do not like the cold, at all, so do what you can to keep her warm :)
Nate