Author Topic: Confused about caring for a potted meyer  (Read 501 times)

Moth1992

• Coastal foggy zone 9b
    • View Profile
Confused about caring for a potted meyer
« on: October 22, 2022, 04:42:10 PM »
Hi everybody!

Im a lurker that came here from tomatojunction with high recommendations of this place!

Im however overwhealmed with info and decided to ask for help lol. Thanks in advance.

I have a meyer I bought in spring. And despite hours on the interwebs reading I still have no clue how to care for it. So far its doing fine other than the white flies infesting my garden, its even setting some fruit and I dont want it to loose them.

So some questions I have:

1. Lifecycle
I dont understand this plants cycle. It was flowering in spring, it set some microlemons in late summer, now its flowering again. I dont think ive seen a proper vegetative growth period.

I have mild summers and mild winters and people here gave lemons outdoors. When should I expect it to have growth, flower, fruit setting, fruit ripening and rest?

2. Potting and pruning
So following from the lifecycle, when should I pot or prune this guy so it doesnt freak out and lose its lemons? It doesnt need pruning yet but id like to put it in a bigger grow bag to avoid it getting root bound.

3. Fertilizing
Ive seen info on fertilizing every other week to fertilizing once a year.... Ive gather they like nitrogen more than other fruit plants ( ie tomatoes). But i dont know how hungry they are as a potted plant.

Thanks a lot!

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Confused about caring for a potted meyer
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2022, 05:07:47 PM »
Hi, welcome to the wonderful and complexe citrus world.
I also have meyer lemon and know it' s a very busy plant. From my experience I can answer as follows:
1. Meyer flowers several times a year. Fruits are ripe if they are yellow to light orange and a little bit smooth while light pressing by hand.
2. Normally citrus make main groth in spring, then is best time for potting citrus. Pruning is possible from spring to autumn. I have an old lemon which I prune several times a year due to very much growth.
3. Fertilizing is highly necessary due to growth and fruiting. Normaly fertilizing is necessary while the citrus plant is growing and fruiting from spring to autumn.
Cutrus needs much nitrogen and a lot of different elements like iron, maganese ..., so best is to look for spezial citrus fertilizer and fertilize as recommended on the fertilizer pack.
Have fun with your lemon, regards Frank.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 05:53:25 PM »
Miracle Grow at regular strength once a week works great for all my citrus including my Meyers Lemon'

Kevin

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 06:37:38 PM »
I never prune citrus. Once it reaches its max height ha fly grows at all. Pretty easy to grow. Make sure it doesn't get too dry like any other plant. Make sure there's no bugs eating it. It's all common sense.