Author Topic: Interesting general rootstock ideas  (Read 824 times)

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
Interesting general rootstock ideas
« on: February 17, 2023, 05:11:57 PM »
Hey everyone; the idea of rootstocks were unknown to me before I got into this world but are very interesting to me. Some ones that I've heard about while browsing the forums so far include yangmei on wax myrtle, loquat on quince, pomegranate on crepe myrtle, all the types of stonefruits, citrus, .. what are some interesting grafting options for rootstock plants that are a bit easier to come by, bonus points if its cold adapted
instagram @trumansacco

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting general rootstock ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 10:16:26 PM »
Hickory on pecan is another unique one. Black Sapote on American Persimmon. Most cactus graft onto each other. There is a lot of potential for distant grafting in vegetables, too. Tomato on Eggplant (and many other solanum combinations), cucumber or melon on squash/pumpkin (most curcubits are graft compatible), or Okra on Kenaf. 

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 10:25:51 PM »
Black Sapote on American Persimmon.

I'm hoping to graft black sapote on Texas persimmon (D. texana) if the many seeds I've germinated ever get big enough. I'm hoping texana might stunt it a bit so it doesn't try to take over my greenhouse too bad. I couldn't find any references to anyone trying it before, but seems likely they'll be compatible.

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 01:55:28 PM »
has anyone tried hackberry? I was surprised to learn it's in the hemp family. I've only seen youtube videos with rave reviews of it but, real question is how dumb would it be to use weed as a rootstock? It grows like, well, a weed. You want a rootstock that matches the growth of the scion but still, just thought it was funny but I guess its not really tropical either lol sorry :P
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 01:59:32 PM by tru »
instagram @trumansacco

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2023, 04:33:37 PM »
has anyone tried hackberry? I was surprised to learn it's in the hemp family. I've only seen youtube videos with rave reviews of it but, real question is how dumb would it be to use weed as a rootstock? It grows like, well, a weed. You want a rootstock that matches the growth of the scion but still, just thought it was funny but I guess its not really tropical either lol sorry :P

A funny idea, but I'm guessing probably not graft compatible. I don't think hops and cannabis are graft compatible, and they are closer relatives in the same family.

Though it seems like the opposite graft (cannabis scions bark-grafted on a hackberry stump) would be the more interesting one to attempt, for anyone who lives somewhere that's allowed.

Using an annual plant (cannabis) as the rootstock for a perennial/woody tree (hackberry) seems unlikely to work out in the long run, even if they were compatible.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 04:37:05 PM by drymifolia »

Piss P

• Washington DC (7b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2023, 09:00:05 PM »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2023, 09:13:32 PM »
Okra on Kenaf.
I'll be doing okra on hibiscus sabdariffa (roselle) this spring. Good resources:
https://www.redalyc.org/journal/2530/253068033008/html/
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0304423818307842

Sweet! Please let us know how it works and what grafts you have success with. If you are doing it for nematodes, Cranberry Hibiscus (Hibiscus acetosella) has more nematode resistance than Roslle.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2023, 09:33:51 PM »
I'm going to experiment with grafting eggplant, tomato, and naranjilla on Solanum torvum and Solanum macranthus for nematode resistance. 

Article by Josh Jamison
https://www.echocommunity.org/en/resources/5d428a30-14cc-4e43-94f0-3bfb1cd1fff3

Janet

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2023, 01:42:02 AM »
Solanum torvum and Solanum mauritianum have been used in Australia as eggplant rootstocks. Some people have also wanted to try Giant Devils Fig, Solanum chrysotrichum, which is like a giant torvum.

There are also a range of tomato and eggplant rootstock varieties ( also cucumber rootstocks ) used in glasshouse production.

bussone

• Philadelphia, PA (7a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2023, 11:46:18 AM »
Hickory on pecan is another unique one. Black Sapote on American Persimmon. Most cactus graft onto each other. There is a lot of potential for distant grafting in vegetables, too. Tomato on Eggplant (and many other solanum combinations), cucumber or melon on squash/pumpkin (most curcubits are graft compatible), or Okra on Kenaf.

Territorial Seed sells a tomato/potato graft called Ketchup 'n' Fries.
https://www.finegardening.com/article/new-vegetable-grafting-mirrors-old-solanum-experiments

bussone

• Philadelphia, PA (7a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2023, 11:48:09 AM »
Has anyone tried citrus on zanthoxylum?

They are close enough to share diseases. On the other hand, they are close enough to share diseases.

\won't help w/ citrus canker, but zanthoxylum shows pretty strong greening resistance.