Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Grafting onto large mango tree.

(1/7) > >>

Timbogrow:
I've started grafting onto a large mango tree that is about 1' diameter. It was a very shy producer of mangos that didn't have a great taste so I chopped it down about 4 months ago.so far I've gotten honey kiss and lemon zest grafted to it and just ordered some pina colada scions. I'll post some pictures tomorrow if I get done working before sunset. Just wondering if anyone has done a cocktail trail and gets all the scions to produce fruit. It's more or less an experiment since I have a bunch of grafted trees already. Just started grafting and it is very fun. Thanks for anyone's experience!

pineislander:
I'm working on six larger Haden stumps but only one has sprouted well enough to graft onto. I did a lemon meringue scion and it still has green buds but hasn't pushed, maybe because of cooler weather. I doubt that I'll make any cocktails but have a coconut cream to get scions from. I have 30 varieties so if you need free scions I may have.

sunny:
Yes i made a cocktailtree with 25 different mango varieties on it. It became an ugly tree though because the new branches don't grow at the same speed and shape.

I had one scion that already fruited before i had taken the grafting tape of, that was chokanan mango..this one can bloom/fruit 4 weeks after grafting.

Timbogrow:
Very cool, 25 varieties on a tree sounds amazing! Sounds like you had a lot of fun grafting it! I'm sure you loved that tree besides its looks. Thank you for your input and experience.

Timbogrow:
Thank you pine islander that is very generous of you. So far my grafted Nursery trees consist of Glenn, rapoza, lacitilla, Nam doc mai #4, m4, sweet tart, fruit punch, coconut cream, golden nugget, haden, carrie, pram kai mei, pickering, and duncan. I have just 1 mature tree that was here when we purchased the property and it is a heavy producer of fiber less juicy sweet mangos. Maybe I could trade you some seedlings I have growing in the greenhouse. There's some pitangatuba, pitomba, cacao, sugar apple, peanut butter fruit, attemoya, lemon drop mangosteen, imbe. All under 6 mo the old though. Just started growing within the last year.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version