Author Topic: Citrus soil mix for pots  (Read 762 times)

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
Citrus soil mix for pots
« on: January 24, 2022, 03:43:38 PM »
I know its supposed to be well draining, what are some alternatives to turface I can use for a good mix?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 03:49:02 PM by Pandan »

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Re: Citrus soil mix for pots
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 09:38:20 PM »
I tried the 5:1:1 mix but it was too aggravating to figure out what kind of pine bark mulch to buy, and I don’t want to do the sifting out the smaller pieces of bark thing. I like mixing the Turface with the Miracle Grow Garden soil. So much easier. I tried some kind of pumice stone mixed in potting soil but it was very heavy and did not drain nearly as well as the Turface. The pumice stone gravel stuff is meant to mix into garden to deter voles; I think it was Sunshine brand or something. Came in a white bag with a sun on it. Cheaper than Turface but I don’t like it.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 07:00:11 AM »
Coarse river sand is often used. Aquarium grade sand has larger rounded particles. Both are heavier than calcined clays. Might be cheaper by the metre/tonne, or if you can find it locally. Perlite is suitable, but tends to float to the top of the mix when watered. Expanded styrofoam can be cheap, but floats more than perlite.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 06:36:06 PM »
I agree it is a hassle to sift out bark chips to get enough to use in a 5-1-1 medium.  However, one does not need to sift anything.  Just look on the internet or in most larger pet supply stores and purchase a product call Repti-bark (Reptibark).  Repti-bark is  1/4 inch pieces of cedar.  Mixed with peat and perlite makes a great 5-1-1 medium.  I have used a LOT of it. Last 3+ years before it breaks down.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk