Author Topic: Cuttings for Trade  (Read 8204 times)

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Cuttings for Trade
« on: October 11, 2019, 02:09:01 AM »
I just wanted to post this in advance so interested parties can prepare/contact me in advance. Anyone who has gifted me materials will receive priority, negotiations can follow after.

This winter I will be cutting back the plants, and will have a number of scions available.

If you want to guarantee that I will have some for you, try to stay in touch/reach me via PM.

I have available:
Annona: Concha Lisa, Big Sister, El Bumpo, Behl, Rudy 2, Nata, Cumbe, Leo #3, Rudy 20, Orton, Sabor, Pink's Mammoth, Tropic Sun, Cherilata, Sugarmoya, Hillary White, Deliciosa, Leo#1, Thompson Atemoya (the Paul Thompson one from the Edgehill property, not the Brazilian one I believe), Pierce, Shlome.

Mango: Aloha, Alphonso, Keitt, Maha Chanok. (I can do prep these for Florida residents at any time, but for subtropical areas I would wait until July unless next year is unseasonably warm, or you have a greenhouse)
Lost a few mangoes in the heatwave this year, but still have Mallika, Val-Carrie, and Super Julie.

Persimmons:Dave Wilson sourced Maru, and Chocolate, Hyakume.

Apples: Anna, Bravo de Esmolfe, and Fuji.

Prunus: Tropic Gold Apricot, Red Baron Peach, Flavor King NOT, Jefferson Green Gage.

Mulberry: Morus Nigra 'Persian', Morus Rubra 'Pakistani', M.rubra 'Frank's Yellow'.

Fig: Excel, VdB, GM-172(Gozo Girl), MBVS, Val's UNK (Geno), HdA, Oceanside Green, Emalyn's purple, CDDN, Flanders, and Emerald Strawberry.

White Sapote: North Park, Subelle, Chestnut, Golden Globe, Mary Lane, Rainbow, Stickley.

Citrus: Smith's Red Valencia, Rio Red Grapefruit, St.Theresa Femminello Lemon. Due to quarantine restrictions, I will only trade citrus with those in the same region/zone within the state of California. I will ship material to regions outside the state where there are no quarantines.

My wish list:
Cherimoya: None ATM.

White Sapote: Malibu 1&3, Leroy, Any good variety.

Persimmon: Tribble, Any good PV variety.

Prunus: Geo Pride, Emerald Drop, and Arctic Star (If patented, tree only).

Mango: Ugly Betty, Sonpari, Orange Essence, Guava, Phoenix, Kesar, Rajapuri, White Pirie, Angie, Dusheri, Edgar, Mesk, Sindhu, ST Maui, Mandalay Yin Guay, and Sweet Tart, Maha Chanok.

Avocado: Green Gold, Kahaluu, Sport.

Fig: I-258, Olympian, Craven's Craving, Izbat an-naj, UCR 187-25, Male F.Palmata.

Peanut Butter Fruit.

Citrus: C.Depressa Keraji, C.Depressa Shikuwasa, Allspice Tangelo, DaisySL, Ginger Lime. Due to quarantine restrictions, I will only trade citrus with those in the same region/zone.

I am open to other things you may have to trade, so send me a PM if you are interested.

Scheduling for trading of materials will correspond with optimal grafting times, I can prep wood.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 10:39:03 PM by Oolie »

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Cuttings for Trade
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 12:34:39 AM »
Thank you for all the interest, I have sent replies.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 10:45:23 AM »
I'm interviewing for a job on an island in two weeks. As a result, scheduling of the pruning may be moved around some.

Either way, I don't intend to waste any scions and will make sure to try and be available to ship the scions at the appropriate times.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 01:39:32 PM »
The winter deciduous plants are beginning to go dormant.
They will be available until the scion exchange in January.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 11:31:07 PM »
I sent PM's to interested parties regarding the deciduous plants.

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 10:42:03 PM »
Hi Mike, are you coming ti the crfg meeting?? can I get 1 of your cherimoya scions please ??

VP

• AZUSA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 12:49:58 AM »
Oolie, I have Sabor cherimoya and Mallika mango. Would like to get Cumbe, Behl, Big Sister.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 07:22:30 AM »
PM's sent/replied to.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 08:44:00 AM »
The deciduous trees will break bud soon, last call for the season.

Cherimoyas are almost ready to go, PM's have been sent, schedule allowing they will be sent in a week or so if everyone's rootstock is ready.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 06:59:18 PM »
PMs replied to.

If you haven't already made your wishes clear over PM or Email about the varieties you want of cherimoya, read this post carefully.

I have prepped all of the Cumbe I can ship and all of the Big Sister and El Bumpo.

I still have enough El Bumpo and Big Sister to meet demand, but since they are now prepped, consider this the final countdown, pruning of those varieties will occur when they are ready to ship, so if you were interested in them, please let me know in the next week or so before I prune.

All of the Cumbe is spoken for.

I still have plenty of the other varieties which I have yet to prep, and as such will be available to those who have rootstocks which will be unable to accept grafts until later. That said, I don't control when those branches go dormant, so if that happens I will be unable to delay any further, and you will have to make a judgement call at that time if your trees are able to accept a graft or not.

In the event you were interested in Cumbe and have not spoken for it, or were interested in a variety that timing will not work for your trees on, there is always next year.

Thank you everyone for your continued interest.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 07:02:22 PM by Oolie »

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2020, 03:27:48 PM »
I have sent packages to interested parties.

Thanks everyone for ongoing interest.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2020, 10:09:40 PM »
It was a busy pruning/grafting season, and at last the Morus Nigra is beginning to push.

In other words, the deciduous plants are done until next dormancy.

Please feel free to post your results. I hope everyone had success, there's nothing like that feeling when you get a graft to push.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2020, 06:44:30 PM »
I sent out a shipment yesterday with the last of my atemoya for the season and some white sapote scions.

Chestnut white sapote is unavailable until more wood grows.

We are now into white sapote and mango season.

I hope everyone has great success.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 06:53:37 PM by Oolie »

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2020, 09:19:03 PM »
Bad news, Maha got infected with some sort of disease (maybe rootstock incompatibility). It died back to the graft.

Now looking to regraft it.

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2020, 09:08:11 PM »
How does the Persian mulberry taste? Thanks

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2020, 12:14:54 AM »
How does the Persian mulberry taste? Thanks

M.nigra is possibly my most coveted fruit. Persian isn't the best I've had, but the similarities far outweigh the differences.

A plump, juicy berry (depending on where grown, it's drier in dryer areas), it has a strong sweetness and strong acidity with a balance on par with blue raspberry sour straws. It also has a vegetal flavor similar to Pakistani mulberry. The juice has excellent body, a mouthfeel which greatly adds to the experience. I like them in pie (there's no better filling), and as a topping for zabaglione, a role to which it finds no peer.

If you find that you like either Pakistani mulberries, blue raspberry sour straws, or would like to try something that's a combo, I think there are few fruits that come close.

Unfortunately it needs a mild temperate climate for best results, has a very short season, is a favored target of every pest (the fruit), is difficult to pick without making a huge mess, and needs frequent pruning to prevent bleeding issues (not tolerant of major pruning).

Additionally unlike other mulberries, it will not easily root, and is better to graft to a more vigorous alba or rubra rootstock.

I don't mind the flaws and wish to plant more.

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2020, 02:29:15 AM »
Hi Oolie,

Thanks a lot for the detailed descriptions. It seems the Persian mulberry is worth having. Please let me know if you want to sell or trade. I have emerald drop and geo pride pluot scions.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2020, 04:52:34 PM »
I will have annona cuttings available starting in February, but not likely earlier. I want everyone to experience the best results, so please let me know ahead of time if you were interested in something.

In the same light, I'm going to recommend everyone to have it shipped priority mail now, as one package last year was sent across the country and back though there was no reason to do so other than "it wasn't shipped priority."

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2020, 01:05:00 PM »
I will have annona cuttings available starting in February, but not likely earlier. I want everyone to experience the best results, so please let me know ahead of time if you were interested in something.

In the same light, I'm going to recommend everyone to have it shipped priority mail now, as one package last year was sent across the country and back though there was no reason to do so other than "it wasn't shipped priority."

Would love to book some Annona scions for February, if possible.

El Bumpo
Lisa
Pink's Mammoth

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2020, 08:10:58 PM »
I'm bumping this up to see if there is any interest.

Many of the deciduous trees have several feet of scion available, if anyone is searching for these varieties.

I will be pruning sometime after dormancy.

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2020, 11:23:37 PM »
Hi Mike I would like to trade with you, if you are still looking for  "Kahaluu Avocado" I would happily trade you for a apricot scion. if not I have a few other things also just let me know.      Regards   Patrick

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2020, 02:58:33 AM »
What up Mike hope all is groovy down your way. I’ve got a healthy PB fruit seedling for you, let’s do some trading, shoot me a PM if interested. Peace, Nate.
Nate

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2020, 10:44:20 AM »
I'm bumping this up to see if there is any interest.

Many of the deciduous trees have several feet of scion available, if anyone is searching for these varieties.

I will be pruning sometime after dormancy.

Hi Oolie,

I sent you a pm about 3 months ago.
None of my tree is going dormant yet.
I will resend you a pm.

Thanks,

Diana

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2020, 12:18:37 AM »
My Persimmons and Prunus are going dormant, others will be soon to follow.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2020, 04:01:19 PM »
Hey Mike, you can get a few Sweet Tart scions from me whenever you’re ready for them.

Simon