Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

Blueberry thread

(1/8) > >>

ClayMango:
Looking to make a Bush Border that can be neatly hedged or cut to isolate my Side yard....Figured if I'm going to grow about 20 bushes in a line....might as well be edible Blueberry bushes.

Guys what's the best of the best flavored Blueberry varieties?

nullzero:

--- Quote from: ClayMango on February 24, 2015, 03:21:47 PM ---Looking to make a Bush Border that can be neatly hedged or cut to isolate my Side yard....Figured if I'm going to grow about 20 bushes in a line....might as well be edible Blueberry bushes.

Guys what's the best of the best flavored Blueberry varieties?

--- End quote ---

Claymango,

Sweet Crisp is reported to be the best tasting large berry and low chill. However Sunshine Blue does very well with higher PH water and less then optimal soil, it produces medium sized berries with good flavor. Emerald and Gem are also two very good low chill berries that would be close to Sweet Crisp in size and flavor.

I grew Emerald and Sunshine blue. Emerald produced excellent size berries with good taste, however it was more finicky with the higher PH water and took a little extra care to make it happy. Btw, Emerald, Gem, and Sweet Crisp have a larger more upright growth habit. Sunshine blue is more compact and dwarf growth habit.

TriangleJohn:
I don't know about California but out here in NC blueberries don't make a very full bush, they wouldn't block out much. They are pretty and well worth growing but I don't think they would work well as a screen. I grow all different varieties because each year the weather is different and one variety will perform better than the rest and each year it is a different variety. 'Oneal' is my favorite because it fruits early and for a long time and the flavor is great no matter how hot it gets.

Luisport:
For me the best variety is Duke var blueberry. http://extension.oregonstate.edu/lincoln/sites/default/files/pnw656_1.pdf

ClayMango:

--- Quote from: TriangleJohn on February 24, 2015, 03:35:35 PM ---I don't know about California but out here in NC blueberries don't make a very full bush, they wouldn't block out much. They are pretty and well worth growing but I don't think they would work well as a screen. I grow all different varieties because each year the weather is different and one variety will perform better than the rest and each year it is a different variety. 'Oneal' is my favorite because it fruits early and for a long time and the flavor is great no matter how hot it gets.

--- End quote ---

I was shooting for about 3-4 feet in height, maybe 3 feet wide.

My unknown Blueberry Bush from Home Depot has a height of 3-4 feet listed on the tag description, which is where I originally got this luny idea of making an edible blueberry bush border.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version