Author Topic: Saba comorensis seedlings doing good  (Read 2906 times)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Saba comorensis seedlings doing good
« on: October 06, 2015, 03:17:09 PM »
I have been growing Saba comorensis seedlings for over a year now. They are pretty tough plants and tolerant periods of dryness and tap water well from observations. I have 2 growing under oak trees in FL. 2 seedlings in containers and another seedling in a container in CA. I have also noticed that the plants root readily into decomposing oak leaves, this tells me that they are great candidates for air layering.

Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
Re: Saba comorensis seedlings doing good
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 06:31:32 PM »
I have 4 or 5 comorensis still in nursery-bags and in shade and also one senegalenis .....not really sure where I am gonna plant these ...aren´t they climbers ? Got space under the black sapotes but noticed that plants do not do very well in the neighborhood of these ..

Your leaves look different .....I am going to take a pic and post later .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 06:46:42 PM »
Saba comorensis .

Saba senegalensis .

Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 07:19:59 PM »
Supposedly they are climbers so far they look more like a sprawling growth habit bush. They are growing fairly slow for me atm. This one is only a few feet away from a 15ft oak tree. I think the leaves are different due to variation in the species. I have another seedling in a container that looks more like your first picture. I will update with another photo of another seedling I have that has the round leaves.

So far they are fairly slow growing, though I have not really pushed them along with any fertilizer and they are mostly in part to full shade. Plan was to have it grow up the oak tree. I may air layer it and see if the new air layer plant pushes along faster with more sun and fertilizer. Plant must be focusing on the roots, it seems like its been pretty slow the last year and and a half.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 11:29:57 AM »
Here is another picture of one of the seedlings in a container.

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 11:40:00 AM »
I have a few too in pots. They look just like yours nullzero
Still try to figure where to plant them.  Thinking it's gonna go by a fenced lone ironwood (she oak) tree in cow pasture. I know that some plants do not like ironwood...so it's kinda risky.  Other choices over here glirisidia tree, chrismas berry, or inga more better.
Does anyone know if fruits fall when ripe? I'm pretty sure they don't.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 12:02:56 PM »
I have a few too in pots. They look just like yours nullzero
Still try to figure where to plant them.  Thinking it's gonna go by a fenced lone ironwood (she oak) tree in cow pasture. I know that some plants do not like ironwood...so it's kinda risky.  Other choices over here glirisidia tree, chrismas berry, or inga more better.
Does anyone know if fruits fall when ripe? I'm pretty sure they don't.

From the literature the fruit does not fall when its ripe. It stays on the plant holding for a while.

shafak

• India, Chennai 13°N 80°E Köppen: Aw Elevation 6 m (20 ft)
    • View Profile
Would you be having seeds? Thank you!
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 06:54:44 PM »
Sorry for flogging a dead horse.  I would like to know if any of you might be having seeds of either s. comorensis or senegalensis?  Thank you.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 08:37:08 PM »
Since this old thread has reawakened, I just thought I'd add: as a general rule, African gumvines (Saba, Landolphia, Clitandra, etc) can grow as either a shrub or a vine, and are usually shrubby when small or when there's no tree nearby. They're generally drought tolerant and while they tolerate shade, they can usually also take full sun even as a seedling, and grow significantly faster in those conditions.  They usually tolerate poor soil and are drought tolerant.

Of course, they vary from species to species, but these are some "general rules".
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 08:43:32 PM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2018, 08:40:28 PM »
Most of all my seedlings I planted in sugar sand (lower fertility soil) are doing well. This is a strong plant that can tolerant drought. I also noticed it has no problem growing within 2ft from the base of an oak tree. No fruits yet, I anticipate maybe in a few years they are growing in slightly neglected conditions. Can handle light frost it seems without issue.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 08:42:57 PM by nullzero »