Author Topic: Luc's garcinia hunting  (Read 6635 times)

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
Luc's garcinia hunting
« on: May 13, 2017, 11:54:36 PM »
Took a trip to Puerto Vallarta to find Lucs garcinia trees growing in their natural habitat. Success! Also had the chance to meet with Luc and he was kind enough to bring fresh fruit to my hotel lobby for me to sample.

Taste report: Wow it's good! I had high expectations but it exceeded those. It's hard to describe but best I can say is like a mangosteen mixed with a mango. Nice blend of sweet with some tart. It's very good and worth making space for. Chop something down if you need to. In the area where I found the trees they need to fight among other nearby large trees to reach the sunlight so their growth habit is straight up and the scaffold branches can be very high up.

Luc: thank you for making the effort to meet me and bring me fruit. Luc is a good man and when this fruit is officially named it should be named after him for all of his efforts to spread this fruit all over the world. Luc will forever be remembered for this fruit and his name should live on with it. Luc mentioned we are getting closer to getting the  official name for the species. If it wasn't for Luc, there may not be anybody studying this species.

Raul ( Raulglezruiz ) also brought me a whole bag of the fruit and even scions to me even though he and I were very busy in my short time there. Raul thank you for your efforts! Much appreciated and I should have more time next visit.

I've attached photos of Luc's garcinia growing wild as well as the fruit Luc brought me.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Luc's garcinia hunting
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 12:09:52 AM »
That's awesome and thanks so much for the taste report! Hopefully mine will fruit in the next two decades. I have a Grafted one but it's growing in the shade and the growth is still very slow. I'll definitely make space for it. Mangosteen mixed with Mango, what's not to like?

Simon

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 12:49:39 AM »
Thanks for the report. I can't wait till mine fruits.

cos

• Maui Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 01:07:09 AM »
Many questions answered
Thanks so much
Esp. A peek at Luc

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 02:43:35 AM »
I'm glad somebody finally did this. I wish it would have been me. But thanks for the report. Mango + mangosteen together? Two of the best fruits on the planet. Luc will be immortalized with tropical fruit fame.  8) Raul should at least get a footnote in that eternal fame.  ;D
Oscar

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 11:51:08 AM »
I'm glad somebody finally did this. I wish it would have been me. But thanks for the report. Mango + mangosteen together? Two of the best fruits on the planet. Luc will be immortalized with tropical fruit fame.  8) Raul should at least get a footnote in that eternal fame.  ;D

I just ate another one - less than 100% ripe - still good but more tart. Like with most garcinia species it'd be great to find a way to make the seeds smaller too :)  Oscar, I look forward to your trees fruiting so you can give us your taste report as well as a report on the flesh to seed ratio as you did with Cherapu and mangosteen.

Seadation

• USA, Miami, Fl, 33176 Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 04:08:47 PM »
How much edible flesh do you get from one fruit? Do they have one seed inside or two? Also I know it's an off comparison but would one fruit give you more edible flesh to eat than let's say a lychee? Thank you for the report!

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 04:56:41 PM »
Thanks for the report dwfl. :)

It sounds yummy and I can't wait to try it, which will be quite a few more years from now. Till then it'll be great to hear more reviews, especially when compared to other garcinias.   

I agree, both Luc and Raul are great guys!
Thanks for sharing..:)

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 06:41:10 PM »
More edible flesh than a lychee, yes. The skin being thin helps as well. Each fruit had at least 2 seeds, some had 3, and not every seed was same size. Maybe Luc or Raul could chime in regarding whether or not there seems to be much variation between trees.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 11:17:54 PM »
Thank you so much for this post. Luc is a gem in the tropical fruit world.  :D
-Josh

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 11:43:00 AM »
Great report and Luc has that outside tan. He's not fooling around!

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 11:16:20 PM »
Thanks Oscar!
El verde es vida!

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 12:22:34 AM »
More edible flesh than a lychee, yes. The skin being thin helps as well. Each fruit had at least 2 seeds, some had 3, and not every seed was same size. Maybe Luc or Raul could chime in regarding whether or not there seems to be much variation between trees.
There's usually 2 seeds inside, but some come with 3 and some of the big ones can have up to 4,as far as variability this is a topic that my friend  Luc and I don't share same opinion, I have noticed  adult trees that don't produce fruit over the years, other who set mediocre amounts of fruits while others have excellent production every year, the researchers who came to take material for DNA this last January found some trees with most male flowers than another's, maybe that is the case, Omar said he was going to start working on DNA This summer with the material (flowers) they took, so maybe there should be news soon, something Luc said that I agreed is that on the same tree can be fruit with different shapes some more rounded another more pointed but in general 95%of the trees produced fruits of the same flavor the only difference among these trees is size with some with slightly larger fruit, and amount of fruit set as I mentioned before, other than this I have been able to isolated 3 trees with some variations and this are the ones
1-Dream- 5 years ago when dating my now wife, we did a Canopy on las Juntas y los veranos Hills with Adventure tours company, we took a. Fast inflate boat from the maritime terminal, for 45 minutes to arrive to the boca de tomatlan Beach  then a Mercedes open big truck to the hills once we reach the canopy set in the hills we start to ride a donkey all the way up, about 5 minutes riding I look to the woods on my right I see a large limoncillo tree but to my surprise the fruits were not yellow like regular, but instead a maroon, clay, or brick color! I was fascinated I thought of jumping off the donkey and get some! but mistakenly thought, it wasn't right as it was a guided tour, there was many tourists also on it, and the riders were on line uphill on a narrow road,
 on the way back after all the exercise I just forgot about it, I had gone couple times to look for the tree but couldn't find it, it's a mistery, and I wasn't drunk! It was only about 10 in the morning when I saw it! Hehe, my goal next year is find this tree, as this year due to lack of rain in December those uphill trees didn't set fruit
2-sharpie: a young tree who sets only pointed fruit of regular size which is odd as most trees set round fruit, but what makes this one different is that the flavor is very intense I would say very sweet and very tart at the same time with the sweetness being dominant this is my favorite one, is a small tree and is shaded by many big ones...
3- sweety: this is at the top of a hill also a young medium size tree who develops perfect round fruit of average size but with a slightly deeper color going towards light orange on the shoulders, and the Prime ripe fruit is just sweet this is the sweetest limoncillo I have ever tried, I would say 90 sweet 10%tart..
  This two trees are in very bad shape this year because they have been since last November with out rain, with Sweetie having some die back at the top, I went to collect some budwood last week but just didn't make sense as the tips look wrinkled od dehidration, the graft just wouldn't make it 
El verde es vida!

cos

• Maui Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 12:57:20 AM »
Thanks so much for this info
We have much more to explor

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 12:17:37 PM »
Great job!!!

Btw, I thought we had decided on Garcinia Vleerackerii.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2017, 12:26:05 PM »

1-Dream- 5 years ago when dating my now wife, we did a Canopy on las Juntas y los veranos Hills with Adventure tours company, we took a. Fast inflate boat from the maritime terminal, for 45 minutes to arrive to the boca de tomatlan Beach  then a Mercedes open big truck to the hills once we reach the canopy set in the hills we start to ride a donkey all the way up, about 5 minutes riding I look to the woods on my right I see a large limoncillo tree but to my surprise the fruits were not yellow like regular, but instead a maroon, clay, or brick color! I was fascinated I thought of jumping off the donkey and get some! but mistakenly thought, it wasn't right as it was a guided tour, there was many tourists also on it, and the riders were on line uphill on a narrow road,
 on the way back after all the exercise I just forgot about it, I had gone couple times to look for the tree but couldn't find it, it's a mistery, and I wasn't drunk! It was only about 10 in the morning when I saw it! Hehe, my goal next year is find this tree, as this year due to lack of rain in December those uphill trees didn't set fruit
lulz......great story

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2017, 08:28:36 PM »
Thanks for your report Raul , saved me the job to do it . I had a little problem collecting fruit this Sunday , a branch broke and I went down 3 meters , nothing broken ...
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2017, 08:37:33 PM »
Great job!!!

Btw, I thought we had decided on Garcinia Vleerackerii.

Ethan , the guys from the university said that IF it is a different sp it would get my name , they still wanna study and compare with the other Garcinia ( intermedia - Rheedia ) before making a decision .
Anyway Omar said he would write a paper about it .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2017, 10:11:21 PM »
Leaves are different, fruits are different, and i think the flowers are also different than intermedia. It must at the very least be a different sub species, in which case it could also get your name added to it.
Oscar

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2017, 03:20:06 PM »
@luc are there any more seeds available this year?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2017, 05:24:16 PM »
I have seeds available right now. You can order them online from my website, and they don't need to go through customs, as already in USA.
Oscar

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2022, 10:15:17 PM »
Great read even if its 5yo thread.