Author Topic: Blueberry planting site  (Read 1006 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Blueberry planting site
« on: June 18, 2021, 05:40:22 PM »
Hi !  I have a place where I would like to plant tree blueberry bushes . The thing is its very close to my greenhouse which will be heated in the winter, south exposure , and I was wondering since bb in my experience need very little warmth to exit from winter rest ,will the warmth that the greenhouse provides be enough to wake them earlier than naturally ??
I can provide a picture of the place if needed .... tanks
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 05:43:34 PM by Plantinyum »

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Blueberry planting site
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 09:17:00 AM »
you need to check how many chill hours are required by each variety. blueberries can tolerate plenty of cold anywhere between -10 to -30°F depending upon the variety.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 01:12:43 PM »
you need to check how many chill hours are required by each variety. blueberries can tolerate plenty of cold anywhere between -10 to -30°F depending upon the variety.
yeah I know they tolerate cold, but I was afraid they,d wake up of dormancy if the greenhouse warms them up ,since it will be heated, and they would be planted right next to it....

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 12:18:24 PM »
yeah I know they tolerate cold, but I was afraid they,d wake up of dormancy if the greenhouse warms them up ,since it will be heated, and they would be planted right next to it....
I'm not understanding why you would want them near a heat source ?

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 02:40:55 PM »
Maybe it is the only spot he has

I think you should try for Highbush Blue berry
not because of heat just because it gets big , and you get a good amount of berries

also Being big Could deflect the heat, but they have blueberries in Florida (also Sparkle berry)

I would not worry about it , but really I do not know
seems pretty indestructable blue berries.

Some people are pretty crafty here
Could he place something to absorb the heat (heatsink) between the plant, and the Bush?
Maybe that ty vec styrofoam , but that might look getto (or that yellow foam from a mattress )

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 04:21:47 PM »
I'm not understanding why you would want them near a heat source ?
its just the only place that I have for them, its in full sun exposure and I already had 3 potted blueberries which had to go somewhere....

Maybe it is the only spot he has

I think you should try for Highbush Blue berry
not because of heat just because it gets big , and you get a good amount of berries

also Being big Could deflect the heat, but they have blueberries in Florida (also Sparkle berry)

I would not worry about it , but really I do not know
seems pretty indestructable blue berries.

Some people are pretty crafty here
Could he place something to absorb the heat (heatsink) between the plant, and the Bush?
Maybe that ty vec styrofoam , but that might look getto (or that yellow foam from a mattress )
yeah, I already planted them today, they are pink lemonade, chandler and one unknown....
I will probably place white styrofoam pieces like u said between them and the greenhouse, and infront of the plants so the sun does not warm them up in the warm intrusions of winter. I think ,judging by my other bbs ,that they wake up very easily when it gets warm in winter ,and then have problems with flower bud freeze damage when it get very cold after....