Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

What is, are, your favorite grapes varieties ?

<< < (3/3)

sc4001992:
Vinci, I think the clones/scions of Kyoho are the same. When they grow them in Japan they just take more care and thin out the grapes to get those large size fruits. I don't do any thinning on my grapes and that's the photo I showed. If I thin the grapes they will get larger but it's a lot more work so I don't do it.

JCorte:
I grew my Kyoho from seed because I couldn’t find a source for a plant at the time.  My mom’s growing in Sacramento do not get as large but she gets more than enough to share with neighbors.  Mine in my coastal garden are larger with fewer clusters but take longer to ripen, average highs this summer have only been in the 70’s.  They still develop full intense flavor for me with less bitter skin and some seedless fruit.  Plus I preserve the leaves.

Janet

Jaboticaba45:
Recently was able to find some kyoho at the Asian market. The fruit was grown in CA resulting in seeded fruit and small fruit unlike the ones I had in Korea.
My favorite grape of all time - shine muscat. Have been looking for a cutting of this for ages. Have only been able to find the fruit twice in the US.

Kyoho on right, Naibell on left

sc4001992:
Janet, if you want cuttings send me PM.

W.:
Vincent,

I am a big fan of muscadines. It is a species of American grape that thrives in hot, humid conditions and is quite disease-resistant compared to other grapes. It also has a strong, unique flavor, similar to but unlike any other grape species. If you are a fan of strong-flavored grapes like Concord, you will like muscadines. Purple skinned ones are known as muscadines while bronze skinned ones are known as scuppernongs. I prefer purple ones. The Fry variety of muscadine is one of the most common ones, but there are dozens of varieties. I do not know whether any are available in France.

I am also a big fan of muscats, Thomcords, and the Grapery's offerings (Cotton Candy, Gum Drops, etc. but they cannot be grown by private individuals, yet). As you can tell, I like my grapes to have strong flavors.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version