Author Topic: Good tasting, rare myrtaceae good for pot culture  (Read 1049 times)

Adam8aTexas

• LMK if you have myrtaceae available
    • McKinney, Texas Zone 8a
    • View Profile
Good tasting, rare myrtaceae good for pot culture
« on: October 24, 2021, 05:00:19 PM »
Anyone know of some nice rare myrtaceae for pot culture?
Ones I’m planning to try are E. Matosii and E. Beaurepairiana, and E. Sulcata.

Any others that I should know about?  ??? Please tell me!  ;D
Plant nerd in his teens that enjoys finding new species to add to their collection

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
Re: Good tasting, rare myrtaceae good for pot culture
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 07:41:23 AM »
with no consideration to taste or pot size (sorry most of mine are too small to have tasted) here is whats in the garden for us

Eugenia biflora - “Blackrodwood”
Eugenia candolleana - "Rainforest Plum"
Eugenia itaguahiensis - “Grumixama Mirim"
Eugenia ligustrina - “Privet Stopper”
Eugenia myrcianthes “Ubajai”
Eugenia patirisii - “Ubaia”
Eugenia pseudopsidium - “Quibrahacha, Christmas Cherry”
Eugenia reinwardtiana - “Cedar Bay Cherry”
Eugenia selloi - "Star Cherry, Pitangatuba"
Eugenia stipitata - “Araca Boi”
Eugenia spp. cv. “Sweet”
Eugenia uniflora - “Surinam Cherry”

Myrciaria glazoviana - “Cabeludinha”
Myrciaria guaquiea -
Myrciaria floribunda - "Rumberry, Guavaberry"
Myrciaria strigipes -
Myrciaria vexator - “False Jaboticaba, Blue Grape”

Myrcianthes fragrans - "Twinberry, Simpson's Stopper"
Myrcianthes pungens - “Guabiyu”

Plinia aureana - “Jaboticaba branca”
Plinia cauliflora - “Jaboticaba”
Plinia clausa - “Anihuayo”
Plinia edulis - "Cambuca"
Plinia inflata - “Mulchi, Ecuadorian Cambuca”
Plinia oblongata - “Jaboticaba Azeda, Sour Jaboticaba”
Plinia rivularis - "Guaporeti, Guaburiti"
Plinia spp. - "Açu paulista"
Plinia spp. - "ESALQ"
Plinia spp. - "Novak Phitrantha"
Plinia spp. - "Posadas"

Always happy to see another texas grower getting into it- if you're in the houston area stop by for some free plants

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 05:07:37 PM »
elouicious made a very good list. I would add the Red and Escarlate (Scarlet) varieties of jaboticaba to that list. They are not rare, but they fruit quickly in comparison to other jaboticabas and should be in all Myrtaceae collections. I also have Eugenia victoriana. It does not get especially large, so I believe it is a good candidate for growing in containers long-term, though there has been debate on the forum regarding whether its sourness negatively affects its edibility.

Eugenia brasiliensis, Eugenia involucrata, Eugenia luschnathiana, Eugenia pyriformis, and Plinia rivularis probably all grow too large for successful, long-term container culture, so you might want to stay away from those. But, I am growing all of them in containers, so I am obviously not following my own advice. ;D

Adam8aTexas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 09:07:50 PM »
elouicious made a very good list. I would add the Red and Escarlate (Scarlet) varieties of jaboticaba to that list. They are not rare, but they fruit quickly in comparison to other jaboticabas and should be in all Myrtaceae collections. I also have Eugenia victoriana. It does not get especially large, so I believe it is a good candidate for growing in containers long-term, though there has been debate on the forum regarding whether its sourness negatively affects its edibility.

Eugenia brasiliensis, Eugenia involucrata, Eugenia luschnathiana, Eugenia pyriformis, and Plinia rivularis probably all grow too large for successful, long-term container culture, so you might want to stay away from those. But, I am growing all of them in containers, so I am obviously not following my own advice. ;D]

Hmmm, victoriana might be one of those species that is great in juice, jams, or smoothies. Sounds like something you could put sugar on and eat raw as well!  ;D
Plant nerd in his teens that enjoys finding new species to add to their collection

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 06:16:06 AM »

Eugenia brasiliensis, Eugenia involucrata, Eugenia luschnathiana, Eugenia pyriformis, and Plinia rivularis probably all grow too large for successful, long-term container culture, so you might want to stay away from those. But, I am growing all of them in containers, so I am obviously not following my own advice. ;D

Hmmm, victoriana might be one of those species that is great in juice, jams, or smoothies. Sounds like something you could put sugar on and eat raw as well!  ;D

I watched a video of a Costa Rican fruit forest tour. The people in the video ate E. victoriana fruits out of hand, and though they remarked about how sour it was, that did not seem to affect their enjoyment of it. On the other hand, forum member Mike T likens it to eating paint stripper. So, a slight difference of opinion. I will find out my feelings about it if my plant ever grows large enough to fruit.

I now realize that elouicious and I both ignored Psidiums in our previous lists. Many Psidiums get too large for container culture, but Psidium firmum, Psidium friedrichsthalianum, and Psidium striatulum all stay fairly small. Pruning is probably required for all of them.

Also, there was another thread that mentioned a couple of smaller Campomanesia species that might be suitable for container culture: https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=9899.msg414036#msg414036.

Finally, I had forgotten that Austromyrtus dulcis, the Midgen Berry, is a Myrtaceae. There really are a lot of Myrtaceae. I am not personally growing this species, but it is a popular Australian bush tucker fruit. It also stays small.

Adam8aTexas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 12:49:06 PM »
Ugni Molinae and Ugni Myricoides might also be good for pot culture, since they’re quite small… most people that have tried it said they like it, but I can never find seeds of both species for some reason! :-\

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 04:13:52 PM »
sacredsucculents.com has both might as well throw Amomyrtus luma and Amomyrtus chequen while we are at it
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 04:32:41 PM by elouicious »