Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

Arctic Frost Report

<< < (5/5)

nullroar:
Sounds to me like I should try rooting a water shoot from this next year, then…perhaps air graft for roots and then try that as it’s own plant?

countryboy1981:

--- Quote from: nullroar on November 05, 2021, 11:13:53 PM ---Sounds to me like I should try rooting a water shoot from this next year, then…perhaps air graft for roots and then try that as it’s own plant?

--- End quote ---

You can bank the soil up the tree above the graft line to protect your tree.  It saved a few of my less hardy trees in 2017 when it got down to 16 here.  Here is an illustration:

The soil insulates what is below it and it will regrow from that point.  Just do not leave the soil on it too long.  A trick I have used is a nursrry pot.  Take a plastic nursery pot that is as tall as you would like to bank, cut the bottom out, cut it so you can place it around the tree, then staple it shut, and then fill it with soil to the top.

SoCal2warm:
You can also wrap a mesh cage around the plant in a circle and fill it with dead dry leaves. That should help provide some insulation against the cold.
For example chicken wire.

countryboy1981:
I am at a loss as to why this variety gets a bad rap.  I just ate one today and other than the scent similar to the peel of a changsha mandarin when peeling this variety, it is very good and is of no less quality than my satsumas.  It is more aimilar to the size of cuties than satsumas but they taste very good.  But to note again, my tree is not on its own roots, it is grafted on a trifoliate hybrid.

GregW:
I believe the bad opinions of Arctic Frost may be based on younger trees. I know the first 4 or so years fruit from my trees was not good. This year I have been really pleased, other than the fruit is small sized. I really believe to a large extent, this is my fault due to lack of fertilizer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version