Author Topic: 28 F, -2.2 C  (Read 1058 times)

hardyvermont

• Anderson SC z 8a
    • View Profile
28 F, -2.2 C
« on: November 17, 2021, 02:25:16 PM »
It is going to freeze next week.  Do citrus fruit survive without damage at 28 F, -2.2 C temperature?

June flowers on a couple Poncirus hybrids set fruit and I want them to have as much time on the plant as possible for the seeds to develop.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: 28 F, -2.2 C
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 06:30:55 PM »
Probably could make 28, but to be sure you could put it in a warmer location.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 06:38:22 PM by Millet »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 07:57:19 PM »
I believe it depends on the duration and variety. Grapefruit and other thick skinned citrus fare a little better. But as I recall oranges will freeze if it is that cold for very long. You won't notice it right away, but the fruits will start to dry out and then drop off. I would definitely protect them. Especially since weather forecasters have been known to be off by several degrees.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 09:11:03 PM »
I don’t take a chance with fruit on tree. I cover and try to avoid freezing the fruit. My grapefruit and meiwa fruit have to go the entire winter on the tree before ripe. It’s distressing to cut a beautiful red grapefruit in half and see it a dry husk inside. Too much effort put in to not get a crop.

orangedays

• East Coast, Zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 02:51:20 PM »
Are these in the ground cold-hardy plants that don't need protection just the maturing fruit?
Seed from Poncirus  that go through cold winters in the SC upstate will germinate, so if the fruit are mature enough, the cold probably won't harm them. 
The seed may be mature enough to germinate and grow now, even though they were set in June.  I had 3 fruit from a tangerine X PT cross this summer and a fruit  split open in July and another in August.  The fruit ripen late October.  Anyway the seed from the fruit that split in August were firm and germinated when planted. These seed were two months immature.  The seed from the one remaining mature fruit are just starting to germinate.
Also I believe if you pick and store the fruit, the seed inside will continue to mature as long as the fruit is alive. Of course the fruit will start to die after a month or so but it can buy some time.

hardyvermont

• Anderson SC z 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 01:13:24 AM »
Are these in the ground cold-hardy plants that don't need protection just the maturing fruit?
Seed from Poncirus  that go through cold winters in the SC upstate will germinate, so if the fruit are mature enough, the cold probably won't harm them. 
The seed may be mature enough to germinate and grow now, even though they were set in June.  I had 3 fruit from a tangerine X PT cross this summer and a fruit  split open in July and another in August.  The fruit ripen late October.  Anyway the seed from the fruit that split in August were firm and germinated when planted. These seed were two months immature.  The seed from the one remaining mature fruit are just starting to germinate.
Also I believe if you pick and store the fruit, the seed inside will continue to mature as long as the fruit is alive. Of course the fruit will start to die after a month or so but it can buy some time.
Yes, these are hardy plants growing in the ground.  There are two goals, collecting seed and seeing what the ripe fruit taste like as this is the first time they have set fruit.  Thank you for the suggestion to pick fruit and let the seed ripen within.  Latest prediction is a low of 29, so maybe there will be none or minimal damage. 

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2021, 03:48:40 AM »
that's a tough decision, and one I keep asking myself. i guess a lot depends on the variety. my citrumelo in the yard has survived light radiation frost this year, I  am not sure about the exact temperature but definitely frost. another hybrid fruit showed no damage either. But that's no guarantee of anything.
The solution of orangedays seems the most pagmatic to me.
Fingers crossed and good luck!