Author Topic: Huge clementines  (Read 659 times)

Florian

• Solothurn, Switzerland.
    • View Profile
Huge clementines
« on: November 15, 2022, 02:29:13 PM »
So, I found these clementines today at Lidl. They were all very big, each weighing over 200g. They were labeled Clemenules but the Clemenules I am used to are half that size. The skin is somewhat pebbled and although some were a bit puffy the taste was excellent. Do you think this is Clemenules or something else?

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Huge clementines
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2022, 03:09:04 PM »
Likely off-season fruit.
Many citrus (particularly Mandarins) alternate bear. The fruit in the off season are generally as you have described, much larger, pebbly skin, usually much lower TSS. Generally of inferior quality, but if you're enjoying them, there's no reason to think otherwise.

Florian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 09:04:53 AM »
Thanks, that is an interesting point. So, perhaps Lidl bought all the off-season fruit to offer them cheaper. I will have to buy a normal-sized one somewhere else and compare the taste.

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2022, 07:20:42 PM »
 Normal clemintine or nule time is Dec to Jan, so they could be off season fruits, or produced in other weather areas, South America? Africa? or India.   

If they contain a lot of seeds, they could be cross pollinated fruits, which could be bigger with rough rind.

Florian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2022, 01:57:06 PM »
Normal clemintine or nule time is Dec to Jan, so they could be off season fruits, or produced in other weather areas, South America? Africa? or India.   

If they contain a lot of seeds, they could be cross pollinated fruits, which could be bigger with rough rind.

I went back and checked. They are from Spain, it says Class I. No seeds so far. Clemenules are in supermarkets everywhere now but they are all normal size.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk