Author Topic: Durio Macrantha. Anyone have personal experience?  (Read 349 times)

0hip

• Australia, Townsville, QLD, 11b
    • View Profile
Durio Macrantha. Anyone have personal experience?
« on: March 30, 2023, 01:47:39 AM »
Hey everyone.
 I just came across the D.Macrantha recently. Stumbled upon some writings about it then by chance someone was selling one at a food festival. I’ve been having a go at growing durian outside their range and while my trees are going well now at well over a year in ground now it seems that Macrantha has a lot better cold tolerance. It also has the benifit of being smaller, a prolific fruitier and self fertile so it seems to be the best option for me to try to grow.

The flavour of Macrantha was the classic durian flavour but without the caramel and sweetness of say a musang king. It wouldn’t be my first choice if I had other options but I’m willing to take what I can get. It also has the benefit of having almost no smell (had to wrap my last durian up in 2 tshirts and 4 plastic bags to take it as plane carry on).

I’m going to grow the seeds from the fruit I ate and they are already germinating less than four days after eating the fruit but to plant I’ve managed to arrange someone to graft one for me but it will be a good six months before it is ready.

Has anyone had any experience growing D.Macrantha? The Macrantha is the durian on the furthermost right and the second photo is of the seeds starting to germinate. I didn’t think to get a picture of the fruit alone sadly but other than no smell it’s very hard to tell the difference between it and a normal durian (it’s not the yellow durian at the back which is aknut? And the small one a kraftong)

« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 01:55:31 AM by 0hip »

fruit nerd

• Australia, FNQ, 13a
    • View Profile
Re: Durio Macrantha. Anyone have personal experience?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2023, 04:52:15 AM »
Nice, looks like you were able to pick up some interesting durians. Maybe I should have gone there too :)

I am growing one but it's a baby. Less than a year old and about 1m high. I don't have to worry too much about cold weather but mine seems happy enough. Laterals are pretty small compared to other durians of a similar age but they'll develop in time I'm sure.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2023, 08:11:41 AM »
Any idea if the D. macrantha fruit came a tree in the Townsville area?

0hip

• Australia, Townsville, QLD, 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2023, 02:04:47 AM »
No it came from the Innisfail area. South Johnston I think. I’m in Townsville  and happy to share a seed if your interested in trying to grow it too