Author Topic: Walter Zill variety?  (Read 445 times)

Greater Good

• Coral Gables, Florida Zone 11A
    • View Profile
Walter Zill variety?
« on: July 22, 2023, 12:43:23 PM »
Saw Truly Tropical taste testing an 'Amy' mango from Walter Zill. Does anyone have further information about this variety? Supposedly Jakarta one of the parents.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Zill variety?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2023, 01:41:30 PM »
Saw Truly Tropical taste testing an 'Amy' mango from Walter Zill. Does anyone have further information about this variety? Supposedly Jakarta one of the parents.
So I know a guy in Palm Beach County (who used to participate prominently in this forum but not anymore) who said it was named after his wife and that it was an excellent mango.  Walter Zill has very good taste in mangos, like his brother Gary!  And to his credit and to our benefit, Walter has rescued some very worthwhile mangos that Gary didn't initially like.  :)  I think only Walter could give you the backstory behind Amy.  Chris should have interviewed him for the video.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 02:24:21 PM by johnb51 »
John

Greater Good

• Coral Gables, Florida Zone 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2023, 06:58:03 PM »

I'm bumping this up because someone out there has to have some more info, and it's going to be at least another year before this one is large enough to fruit.

The sap smell on mine smells like geranium/ camphor.

I'm really curious what flavors come through for people, as I can imagine a pretty interesting result with a sap that smells like this.

For the OP, it came from Gary's project, D-2, Jakarta seedling.

I found this

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2023, 10:19:14 PM »
Thank you for digging up that old post. It still hasn't fruited, very excited.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk