Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

Nippon Orangequat - cold hardiness

(1/3) > >>

tedburn:
Tuesday I got an Nippon Orangequat with a really wonderful fruit, 6cm in diameter, wonderful mandarinorange flavour and very juicy, delicious.
I read it could take down to 10° F.
Does anyone cultivate this wonderful plant and what are the expiriences concerning cold hardiness and other specifics of the plant. Thanks Frank

poncirsguy:
I am glad your fruit is tasty.  everything I have read is that the fruit is so sour it has no flavor.  Marumi kumquat on Flying dragon properly hardened can go down to 10F with no damage and 0-F with leaf loss.

tedburn:
Thanks Poncirusguy, I think there are several cultivars under the name Orangequat, mine is a cross of mandari x meiwa kumquat and so the fruit tastet realy delicious.
But I think hardiness is therefore also limited for planting in ground at my zone 7 place, without more protection.

SoCal2warm:
From what I understand, Nippon orangequat is only as hardy as kumquat, which is only a little bit hardier than Satsuma mandarin.

They're edible, but some people complain that they are not as good eating quality inside as Satsuma (or a regular mandarin), and their outside peel is not as edible as a kumquat. That mixing together the traits of both are not really the most desirable thing for being able to enjoy the fruits.

SoCal2warm:

--- Quote from: tedburn on January 15, 2022, 01:48:39 AM ---But I think hardiness is therefore also limited for planting in ground at my zone 7 place, without more protection.

--- End quote ---
I am pretty sure Nippon Orangequat is not going to be able to survive zone 7 in Germany without protection.
I remember someone did an experiment and planted a kumquat just outside of Atlanta (US state of Georgia, zone 7b), and even covered the plant with frost cloth, and it did not survive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version