Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

Cold-Hardy (to 7b) varieties w/o the poncirus "resin"-y taste?

<< < (2/2)

nullroar:
The problem is that I grow a variety of tropical fruits plants that I have to bring inside in winter (pineapple, coffee, carambola) and they already take up the entire garage + some of the living room in winter. The wife hates it, and I'm going to be giving some away / downsizing the tropical side of things just to appease her. On the citrus side, I get the most enjoyment of my plants by being outside in my garden and such with them, and I'm hoping for something I can grow big and happy - not something I have to keep stuck in a pot.

Citradia:
If you want a citrus comparable to south central FL quality that you can grow in ground in zone 7 in southeastern USA, you will probably need to protect it some during winter. Main idea is keep it cold and dormant but try to avoid severe low temps and prolonged times spent below freezing. Protect fruit still on tree from freezing. Focus on early fruiting satsumas that harvest before your first freeze if possible. I have to protect all of my citrus here and most still have fruit on them through December and even into next spring. My good quality citrus are Owari satsuma, Kimbrough satsumas, Rio Red grapefruit, Croxton grapefruit, meiwa kumquat, Ichang lemon. If you want moderate quality fruit that you can possibly get away without protection there, I would try Ichang lemon, Changsha mandarin, Benton citrange, Thomasville citrangequat.

nullroar:
Fantastic, I'll give those a try!

I've got a thomasville on its way right now. Where culd I get a changsha, ichang lemon, and benton?

Citradia:
It depends on what state you’re in. There are citrus quarantines in most citrus producing states. If you can get citrus from SC , McKenzie Farms in Scranton, SC will have cold hardy varieties. He should have Changsha and Ichang lemon and some citranges. I have some Changsha and Benton and Meiwa saplings and some Citradia on poncirus rootstock. I’m in NC with no quarantine issues. You can try Madison Citrus online but most of their citrus you’re going to have to protect in winter except they have rootstocks that are fully hardy for zone 7.

CarolinaZone:
I'm in the Piedmont of NC. Right now I have Artic Frost and Orange Frost and Bumper in the Ground. They survived last winter in the ground and COVERED. I also have a Ponkan in the ground that survived. Roll the dice. You never know try protecting them for a year or two them let it rip. Contact Eyeckr. I think he is zone 8 and has some outside.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version