Author Topic: Any easy and effective way to rid green scales and white flies?  (Read 1214 times)

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
Any easy and effective way to rid green scales and white flies?
« on: February 06, 2023, 11:50:13 PM »
Hi All,

Is there any easy and effective way yet to rid green scales and white flies, especially, from guava trees? Neem oil doesn't seem to work well...

Thanks

« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 12:01:07 AM by onur »

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Any easy and effective way to rid green scales and white flies?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 12:30:39 AM »
I never had luck with neem oil either, but horticultural oil did better though it wasn't very effective on Guava and I wound up clearing scale by hand on guava and until recently I gave up owning most guava. I now have a Ruby supreme I'm going to have one more go at, I'll see what happens this time but I'll add Dr. Bronners home made insecticidal soap into the regimen.  .

« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 12:33:39 AM by gnappi »
Regards,

Gary

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 01:18:37 AM »
I never had luck with neem oil either, but horticultural oil did better though it wasn't very effective on Guava and I wound up clearing scale by hand on guava and until recently I gave up owning most guava. I now have a Ruby supreme I'm going to have one more go at, I'll see what happens this time but I'll add Dr. Bronners home made insecticidal soap into the regimen.  .

Have you ever tried malathion-oil? I have never used it. It was recommended in old threads on this topic though.

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 04:15:39 PM »
Granular Imidacloprid is a systemic (spread udner a plant & watered in) and as a contact product sprayed on the affected plant and has worked well for me on my fruit trees and some ornamentals in my yard. 

Imidacloprid interrupts the ability of insects like aphids, scales, and mealiebugs to properly mature which causes them to be unable to reproduce.

It's not toxic to mammals/humans if if used as directed altho is is toxc to honeybees, so it is important wait to use it until after your plant has finished flowering.

OK — HTH

Paul M.
==

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 09:25:20 AM »
Try using Azera. It’s OMRI listed and it kills soft scales and White fly. It contains Pyrethrins and Azadiractin. It’s worked extremely well for me. I’ve never had luck with regular Neem because it requires frequent applications before it becomes systemic.

Simon

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023, 09:30:19 AM »
If you use Azera, make sure you add a "sticker/spreader" or it won't stay on the leaves long enough to kill the scale. I have also had really good luck with Imidicloprid. I find the liquid easier to mix than the granules. But it is very toxic to beneficial insects also, so timing is critical.

Carolyn

Tropicaltoba

• Canada, Manitoba, Winnipeg, zone 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2023, 06:25:28 PM »

My ruby supreme is the worst for bugs,I’m about to ditch it. My cattley guava is completely pest free and flowers/fruits non stop.

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2023, 07:18:14 PM »
Thanks everybody! If I use Azera, is it enough just to spray the foliage? Or should I drench the soil too?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2023, 08:13:32 PM »
Spraying the foliage is enough and definitely use a spreader/sticker/extender. I use Nufilm. Also, using a Fogger will create a must that penetrates the foliage better and it’s faster and is more efficient with the reagents.

Simon

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2023, 03:13:40 PM »
Spraying the foliage is enough and definitely use a spreader/sticker/extender. I use Nufilm. Also, using a Fogger will create a must that penetrates the foliage better and it’s faster and is more efficient with the reagents.

Simon

Thank you Simon. Are there instructions on it as to how much to mix it with other pesticides such as Azera? Also, Nufilm is not available on Amazon or Ebay. Is there another organic brand you can recommend?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 03:38:59 PM by onur »

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2023, 10:36:53 AM »
Maybe I'll give malathion oil a try

Regards,

Gary

fruitnut1944

• Alpine Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2023, 11:01:44 AM »
I used imidacloprid once in my greenhouse for scale on citrus and other fruits. It was a one time only application of granular to the soil. That one application killed bumblebees brought in for pollination for the next three years. I'll never use it again.

If you think it's safe for bees after flowering or when bees aren't present think again.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 11:03:24 AM by fruitnut1944 »

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2023, 12:14:25 PM »
I used imidacloprid once in my greenhouse for scale on citrus and other fruits. It was a one time only application of granular to the soil. That one application killed bumblebees brought in for pollination for the next three years.

Wow.... WOW... Sounds like a GREAT PRODUCT for my application as I can only find granules to be reapplied every 3 months...

Could you give us all the specific name of the product brand purchased that was effective for 3 years as I would love to buy a lot of it. Thanks...

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2023, 11:11:44 PM »
I used imidacloprid once in my greenhouse for scale on citrus and other fruits. It was a one time only application of granular to the soil. That one application killed bumblebees brought in for pollination for the next three years.

Wow.... WOW... Sounds like a GREAT PRODUCT for my application as I can only find granules to be reapplied every 3 months...

Could you give us all the specific name of the product brand purchased that was effective for 3 years as I would love to buy a lot of it. Thanks...

You may want to re-read his post. He did not say how effective it was on the pests, only the bees :-)

I have few enough bees around here, I don't want to be killing them off.
Regards,

Gary

ryanscion

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2023, 11:35:30 PM »
I would say using your hands (with gloves on) and scrub the scales off. Depending on the size of your tree it would be easy enough but if you have a large tree I wouldn’t recommend it. Also, go after the ants. I’ve found that eliminating or reducing ants in the yard helps to keep other pests’ numbers down as well. But ant bait is $$$.

Goodluck!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk