Author Topic: Flamboyan tree (Delonix Regia)  (Read 1355 times)

Ramon65

• Claremont CA 91711
    • View Profile
Flamboyan tree (Delonix Regia)
« on: July 31, 2021, 01:53:56 PM »
I'm looking to purchase a Flamboyant tree- I'm in Claremont California 91711. I have tried to grow from seeds- last year I was able to get some seedlings but all died- since, I have tried with no success. The seeds get moldy. Any suggestions or information?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Flamboyan tree (Delonix Regia)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 02:47:06 PM »
Is this tree hardy enough to survive our winters? 

Its not the same tree but I have some yellow flowering type tree thats similar.  Its called Peltophorum pterocarpum.  Grew it from seeds and it already flowered after 2 years.  If you want to grow that one instead I can send seeds. 
Brad Spaugh

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 04:47:31 PM »
Are you looking for the "Royal Poinciana" I have one growing in Chula Vista and i gave one to my friend in northern San Diego, his grows well and flowers. There are also some growing ion some streets in central San Diego.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 08:40:58 PM »
Royal Poinciana grows like a weed here in FL zone 9b. I know a guy who has one in his yard and the seeds sprout all over his lawn and make a nuisance of themselves. Maybe try again with fresh seed and sterile soil on a heating mat?

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 12:29:12 AM »
They grow and bloom like the tropics here in La Habra. Ricardo’s nursery in Long Beach  has lots for sale. They should replace every crappy jacaranda and magnolia street trees in Orange County.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 12:46:40 AM »
There are some massive beauties around here. Amazing when in bloom, and even when not. On a hot day, you can feel the temperature drop when you stroll underneath the canopy.

I'm growing a dwarf poinciana variety. Pink, red, and yellow flowers with white streaks, if memory serves me correctly. Thorny with scraggly growth habit, maybe due to it being mostly in the shade. 

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 01:29:23 PM »
There are some massive beauties around here. Amazing when in bloom, and even when not. On a hot day, you can feel the temperature drop when you stroll underneath the canopy.

I'm growing a dwarf poinciana variety. Pink, red, and yellow flowers with white streaks, if memory serves me correctly. Thorny with scraggly growth habit, maybe due to it being mostly in the shade.

That sounds exactly like the Dwarf Poinciana we had many years ago. I think they are always a little sparse.

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2021, 09:14:12 PM »
I'm looking to purchase a Flamboyant tree- I'm in Claremont California 91711. I have tried to grow from seeds- last year I was able to get some seedlings but all died- since, I have tried with no success. The seeds get moldy. Any suggestions or information?
PM sent

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2021, 02:36:24 AM »
I agree with Franco, I've grown them and they have grown great from seeds as well. Depends on your location, there is a flowering tree 2 blocks away that looks phenomenal. I have a couple of 24" boxed trees that took some termite damage if you would like? They are bouncing back but don't look that great.
-Chris

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2021, 11:57:22 AM »
pm sent

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2021, 09:49:24 PM »
I have started many seeds after collecting seed pods in Baja CA and mainland Mexico..  Simply put seed in a coffee cup, poured boiling water over them, 24 hours later seed coat is broken and soft.  Placed in virtually any soil they geminate readily in a week.  Some have grown up to 3 ft here in Nipomo, only to succumb with our winters.  I still have one 4 ft that survived due to global warming (no killing frosts for over 5 years).  Time will tell.  They are magnificent trees and I returned a number of trees back to Todos Santos Baja CA. where they continue to flourish.

jiminirvana

• CA, Chula Vista 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2021, 05:22:52 AM »
Lol I had so many I just gave them away to the San Diego Zoo. I have like 2 from Miami and 2 from Belize still I think