Author Topic: Strange Pomegranate Growth  (Read 1865 times)

vlan1

• Austin, 78748 8b Sunset Zone 30
    • View Profile
Strange Pomegranate Growth
« on: July 05, 2015, 06:37:47 PM »
So a few weeks ago I grabbed an Angel Red pomegranate at a local nursery.

I have notice that one shoot of growth looks entirely different from the rest of the plant. It is taller , straighter, the leaves are larger and the bark looks slighty green instead  of just brown.  It also is coming straight from the roots and not the main stem.
 My question is do nurserys graft pomegranates on to sturdier variety rootstocks and is this a rootstock shoot?

If it is a rootstock shoot can i leave it alone and have two varities  on one bush ?  Or could it take over ?  Thirdly if it is rootstock what variety could it be?  It was a monrovia nursery plant if that helps.

Thanks

vlan1

• View Profile
Re: Strange Pomegranate Growth
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 09:45:11 AM »
Well now that I am at a PC and can take the time to rotate the pictures instead of putzing around the yard while trying to multitask maybe somebody will have some insight?

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 09:55:13 AM »
It's just a very vigorous shoot. Poms are never sold grafted, always on own roots.

vlan1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 10:42:21 AM »
Thanks.

I couldn't find anywhere that poms were grafted but I just wanted to make sure considering it looked quite different from the rest of the plant.

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 05:15:58 PM »
In young plant is not so unusual....the leaves are larger because it more vigorous...rarely Pomegranate are grafted since they make roots easly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk