Author Topic: Question on Kishu mandarins  (Read 4128 times)

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Question on Kishu mandarins
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2020, 09:48:09 AM »
I have a kishu mandarin in my backyard.  It has not fruited yet and I was curious to see how the fruit tastes.  So, I bought a box of them online.  They looked cool and were the size I expected.  Very easy to peel....but, I was very disappointed in the flavor.  It was sweet, but, besides that fairly bland.
Just wanted to see what other people think of the fruit.  Did I just get a bad batch or is this what I am to expect from the fruit.
If it always this bland, I may take the tree down and plant something better.
To me, Kishu tastes like it is in the same type of flavor family as Satsuma. There are different "types" of flavor within the mandarin family, and Satsuma and Kishu are together in their own separate group, in my opinion. Of course, Kishu is not quite as sour, flavorful, or aromatic as Satsuma. Still very good though.
I've had some fresh off a very small immature tree and would describe their flavor between good and excellent, coming in close second place behind Satsuma.

Perhaps, like Satsuma, there can be a lot of variation in their flavor depending on growing conditions and age of the tree.

Of course, it is also true that mandarin flavor seems to be very much a matter of personal preference and individual opinion.

I guess I could describe the Kishu I tasted as slightly insipid, but they were still good to very good though. The very loose skin is a big plus.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2020, 11:17:01 AM »
SoCal2warm. most people would agree with you that Kishu is generally described as a good tasting fruit.   I think it is a good tasting fruit.  The main problem with
Kishu for many people is that it is just to small to mess with, especially small after peeling it. If someone wants to grow it, I say please have at it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 11:51:09 AM by Millet »

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2020, 11:35:07 AM »
most people would agree with you that Kishu is generally described as a good tasting fruit.   I think it is a good tasting fruit.  The main problem with
Kishu for many people is that it is just to small to mess, with especially small after peeling it.
The fruit size is not an issue for me at all, since they are effortless to peel, and the inside is virtually seedless (maybe only one or two seeds in every one out of four fruits).
With it being so easy to peel, taking no effort, it is as easy to peel four or five little Kishu fruits as it is to peel one regular mandarin, at least that is the way I feel.
It is certainly easier to peel and eat several Kishu fruits than it is to eat a mandarin that has several seeds in it.

Look, if these little fruits were harder to peel, like many mandarin varieties are, or had many seeds in them, I would not bother, but having such loose skin makes having to peel several fruits not feel like work.
I think Kishu is probably the easiest mandarin out of all the varieties to peel, since the skin is so loose. Even a little bit easier than Satsuma.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2020, 11:53:32 AM »
Like I wrote above, if someone wants to grow Kishu, have at it. 

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2020, 04:45:19 PM »
most people would agree with you that Kishu is generally described as a good tasting fruit.   I think it is a good tasting fruit.  The main problem with
Kishu for many people is that it is just to small to mess, with especially small after peeling it.
The fruit size is not an issue for me at all, since they are effortless to peel, and the inside is virtually seedless (maybe only one or two seeds in every one out of four fruits).
With it being so easy to peel, taking no effort, it is as easy to peel four or five little Kishu fruits as it is to peel one regular mandarin, at least that is the way I feel.
It is certainly easier to peel and eat several Kishu fruits than it is to eat a mandarin that has several seeds in it.

Look, if these little fruits were harder to peel, like many mandarin varieties are, or had many seeds in them, I would not bother, but having such loose skin makes having to peel several fruits not feel like work.
I think Kishu is probably the easiest mandarin out of all the varieties to peel, since the skin is so loose. Even a little bit easier than Satsuma.
Personally I agree with your sentiments wholeheartedly. I think they are great tasting and really easy to peel. The size of the fruit doesn't matter to me and I will take a smaller seedless fruit 24/7 over a great tasting mandarin with seeds.

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2021, 09:58:34 PM »
I have an in ground Kishu that’s a few years old. It is at least 6’ tall and 4’ wide grafted on something but most likely not flying dragon. It’s never had a Kishu fruit with a single seed. Taste is better than average. Xie Shan was my favorite in at least 3 blind taste tests. I had some Brown Select from a friend’s tree that was incredible. Other years the same tree is just ordinary. Maybe too hot or too much water some years. I need to get 2 or 3 Xie Shan trees 6’ tall and I’d really have something. I’ll work on that this spring !!! Tom

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2021, 11:29:59 AM »
Tom, nice seeing you here again.  I once got basket of pecans from Tom in a basket shaped in the forum of the state of  Alabama.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:53:58 PM by Millet »

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2021, 05:07:40 PM »
Thanks Millet, getting to meet you when you were in Alabama was a highlight of my citrus experiences ! I’ve been busy and decided I needed to check back in to this citrus forum. I’m hanging in there and still trying to grow citrus. You are still a national treasure to us ! Tom

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2021, 12:40:24 AM »
If only I could purchase a Brown's select or Xie Shan in AZ!

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2021, 10:04:44 AM »
That would be my thought but there might be a better variety in AZ. I pulled a citrus off a tree hanging over a golf course in Glendale AZ. and the home owner hollered and told me to leave her tree alone. (I was out there to watch Auburn win the national BCS football championship. We had a great time.) There was lots of fruit wasting on the ground half rotten but she was correct. I should not have picked her fruit ! It was pretty good. Ask around. There maybe something better in AZ but Xie Shan and Brown’s Select are fantastic around here ! Be safe . Tom