Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

Grafting on 6 week old seedlings possible ?

<< < (5/6) > >>

tedburn:
Yes it will be interesting to follow the growing process.Up to now they grow well and good. Time will tell if grafting on young seedlings will have disadvantages.
Concerning fungal disease could be a slight disadvantage but I think it is primarily a question of varieties and cultivating conditions.
Due to the fact that I had a lot seedlings it was a good option to try some experiments  ;).

pagnr:
Yes I don't think it would be a big issue, as you say depending on varieties and cultivation conditions.
Tomatoes, cucumbers etc are commonly grafted on seedling rootstocks. These would be as tender as young Citrus, maybe more so ??
Here they use grafting clips/pegs to hold the graft closed. I found these pegs also useful for very small citrus grafting to hold the small buds or scions in place before taping.
Also Buddy Tape or Parafilm was highly useful and much easier to "tie off" than regular tape.

tedburn:
A current picture of the january grafted 6 week old Dunstan seedling on Flying Dragon (FD)  seedling with nearly same age.
After meanwhile slower growth than the not grafted Dunstan seedlings with same age, the last weeks the grafted Dunstan recovered very well
and has now nearly same hight as the other Dunstan seedlings.
Dunstan grows faster than FD, and I guess the FD/Dunstan combination needed a little bit time that the rootstock managed to deliver enough power for the fast growing Dunstan.

tedburn:
Update of the grafts on young Dunstan seedlings - good grafting success, very smal fail rate

orangedays:
Grafting seedlings worked well for me also.  Here is an updated image of the seedling rescues. They are on PT. They did not grow as fast as the non-grafted seedling. I wonder if its from recovering from grafting of being on PT which is a slower growing seedling than these tangerine X tangelo crosses?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version