Author Topic: ethylene gas  (Read 648 times)

gardenhoe

• Mount Orab OH zone 6
    • View Profile
ethylene gas
« on: August 13, 2021, 04:37:22 AM »
ethylene gas will force a pineapple plants to fruit, does anyone know if will it work the same way on other citrus/fruiting trees or plants.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: ethylene gas
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 07:38:38 AM »
Pineapples are the only fruiting plant I am familiar with that will bloom from ethylene gas. Smoke can also cause them to bloom if strong enough. Girdling, drought/watering, lights (to change day length), and chemicals like potassium chlorate (in longan) have been used to induce bloom in other plants. Some like bananas can't be forced to bloom early.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 07:53:50 AM »
You might try bagging the plant with plastic and using passionfruit as an ethylene source. I had a 40 pound box of passionfruit in the truck overnight and when I opened the door the gas nearly knocked me down there was clearly a lack of oxygen. When I looked it up it turns out that passionfruit is the highest ethylene producer of any fruit. Somewhere I watched a video from down south and they used passionfruit inside a container to ripen banana.

Documentation:
 http://postharvest.ucdavis.edu/Commodity_Resources/Fact_Sheets/Datastores/Fruit_English/?uid=43&ds=798#:~:text=Passion%20fruits%20are%20the%20highest,F)%20at%20their%20climacteric%20peak.&text=Exposure%20of%20mature%2Dgreen%20passion,2%20days%20accelerates%20their%20ripening.

gardenhoe

• Mount Orab OH zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 09:07:10 AM »
will give the passionfruit a try I have some flavorless maypops growing and they are the same family so it should work and I have some old cold frame covers large enough to tent with. thanks

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 09:59:37 AM »
I believe ethylene is used to color citrus that are grown in regions that are too warm for natural peel coloration

gardenhoe

• Mount Orab OH zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 04:23:02 AM »
I looked up a master gardener class about phytochemicals and not sure I want to risk it, it seems that ethylene triggers both flowering and senescence in leaves of certain plants, depending on the species. Since I am fairly new to tropicals not going to experiment, at least not yet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk