Author Topic: Variegated section on Pink Finger Lime?  (Read 1596 times)

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
Variegated section on Pink Finger Lime?
« on: September 29, 2021, 02:43:57 PM »
Just wondering what would cause this? Could it be an actual mutation or likely due to chemical treatment and will eventually die off? Just received from a nursery.

Would be cool if I could get this to grow and propagate it, but I fear it’s unlikely.

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
Re: Variegated section on Pink Finger Lime?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 10:49:05 PM »
Thoes do look variegated. Itll happen where just 1 branch out of no where pushes out variegated. Some patterns are more pronounced than others. I cant think of anything that would make a leaf look like that besides chlorophyll not showing up to the party lol. My guess would be variegated maybe we can get a poll going!
Bill

citrange

• UK - 15 miles west of London
    • View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 04:41:18 AM »
I've been growing finger limes for many years and always been on the lookout for variegated sports but never found managed to find any. So, you may be lucky but propagation could be difficult. Your photos show a few variegated leaves that appear to come from a small section of the main stem. If there is a separate shoot it would be much easier to propagate.

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 08:43:59 AM »
Well I’m hoping it’s true to be! Any recommendations on getting it to shoot out? I’m going to take a light and shine it more directly on the variegated portion in hopes of getting it as well, but prefer not to cut off the entire other parts of the tree to force it.

citrange

• View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 12:24:06 PM »
Theoretically every leaf is at a node point where a new shoot could grow.
So you could possibly take a small sliver of the stem bark, including that node with a variegated leaf, without seriously damaging the rest of the plant. Then insert that into a rootstock using a T-bud method.
Trouble is that everything is so small and difficult to do with a finger lime. And in practice, some leaf nodes are blind or take for ever to start growing.
I don't know whether additional light on a stem will make any difference to making a new shoot start to grow. Any opinions on this?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 12:48:32 PM »
I certainly go along with what Citrange wrote.  As to applying light, it certainly would not hurt, and perhaps help.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2021, 03:17:20 PM »
Best option would be to cut the branch about a inch above the last variegated leaf. That usually forces the nodes below to flush out. The may help create a few variegated branches.

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2021, 08:36:23 PM »
I’ll let it recover from shipping for a week or two longer, and I suppose the option to do would cut! Sad, but I’ll do it for the Var! I am not comfortable enough with my grafting skills to ruin these chances.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2021, 05:33:36 AM »
Images must be blocked for me in Australia ??

citrange

• View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 02:01:42 PM »
The images in this forum thread are thumbnails linking to larger pictures - for example at https://postimg.cc/ygkTBwhS
Can you not see either of them?