Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

T-Bud grafting of citrus

<< < (4/4)

kumin:
jbclem

--- Quote from: jbclem on September 22, 2022, 09:49:52 AM ---Kumin, a very useful tutorial. And the photos really enhanced the description which I didn't quite get until I scrolled down and saw the photos.  I have a few questions:  first, what's the size (diameter) of the scion...it looks like about 1/8" or less.  Second,  from the photo it looks like you've lined up the scion with the left side of the cut so the cambiums match up, but to also match the outer side of the scion are you tilting it a bit?  And third, since you've made the downward cut on the rootstock with a knife, why do you say the bark needs to be slipping?

For my situation, with only small/thin scionwood and buds available, it's definitely worth trying.

--- End quote ---

My preference for slender, flattish scions is twofold: The smaller scion fits under the flap more neatly, and as the scion grows the the healing tissue will knit more strongly than a larger offset with a thicker scion would.
 1/8" is a good diameter. In this type of graft I actually prefer angular scionwood as it provides flatter surfaces. The cambium is shaved on both sides of the scion to increase cambial contact. The tilting you refer to is caused by the scionwood being angular and rotated in a spiral in it's natural state. The angular surfaces on the scion don't ascend in a straight manner, but rather on a twist. The spiraling rotation is common on plants and is seen on pine cones, as well as pineapples, among many other plants. 

The reason I use slipping bark for this graft is I'll perform this graft at any time from June through July when temperatures a high. The slipping bark is accompanied with a moist cambium, helping in the race against desiccation. Slipping bark also contributes toward a neater graft with closer matching of the grafted surfaces. I've done a good bit of grafting and find Citrus among the easier procedures. Persimmons, have been less successful, often followed by losses due to incompatibilities. 

One note: I actually prefer the cut surfaces on the scion to extend up farther, extending to the top of the flap.

More recently I've modified the procedure to provide more stability and make wrapping the graft more secure, less shifting of layers while wrapping.

I prefer to shave the bark a bit higher than this example for increased cambium contact.

The objective of this graft is to achieve maximum cambium contact.

Wrapping from the closed side works better, as it pushes the tissues closer together, wrapping from the opposite side tends to not push the layers together as closely.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version