Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

Gummosis problem

<< < (2/3) > >>

vnomonee:
Let me know what they say, can't be coincidence that we both have infected plants from them

pagnr:
 Everything else is in the same potting media, made of coco chips, coco coir, and perlite with an added biochar.

Seems like a reasonable choice of pot mix components.
The ratio of these is important, in balancing water holding and air pore space.
None are completely inert, they all take up water to various degrees.
Some inert components, like quartz gravel,may give the same structure, but lower saturation.
Generally I stop at 33% coir for my mixes.
( that is the finer grade coirs, also same for other fine grade bog peats }
Most of the methods I mentioned are preventative or suppressive, although they might help recovery.
I would warn about trying everything at once to fix a problem.
Many nursery plants are grown and shipped with a dose of Fungicide to ward off problems, they might go backwards after it wears off.
A fungicide treatment sounds the best first option in your case.
It does sound like a possible problem with cutting raised plants ?

citrange:
There is one fungicide which is said to specifically control phytophthera. This is Fosetyl-Aluminium sold as Aliette. See for instance https://www.cropscience.bayer.us/products/fungicides/aliette
As others have said, the best way to guard against the problem is to avoid saturated medium. Make sure water can drain freely through and out of the pot in abround 30 seconds. I also re-plant with the stem raised a little above the surface of the pot mix, even with the highest roots showing.

franklazar26:

--- Quote from: citrange on August 18, 2022, 12:36:38 PM ---There is one fungicide which is said to specifically control phytophthera. This is Fosetyl-Aluminium sold as Aliette. See for instance https://www.cropscience.bayer.us/products/fungicides/aliette
As others have said, the best way to guard against the problem is to avoid saturated medium. Make sure water can drain freely through and out of the pot in abround 30 seconds. I also re-plant with the stem raised a little above the surface of the pot mix, even with the highest roots showing.

--- End quote ---

I went with another recommendation, the exact stuff Vnomonee said. Itís also said to control phytophthera as well! Iím hoping it does some magic.

In other regards, I use a 2:1:1 mix of coco chips, coir, perlite. It doesnít hold water in the slightest, no longer than a day or two at most even on less warm days. It drains very freely, much less than 30s lol. Probably like 5s tops before it comes spilling out. I have very few trees infected, but most certainly all rooted cuttings.

impatientgardener:
My variegated lemon did the EXACT same thing. However, it was a clipping and not a graft. I'm not sure if the variegation causes more weakness and susceptibility to crown rot, etc. I tried treatments using organicide plant doctor and phyton 35 a couple of weeks apart. Anyway, it lost all its leaves and died and I decided to go with a much taller grafted version which has had no problems. Good luck to you!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version