Author Topic: Mango blooms: spray or nay?  (Read 1808 times)

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
Mango blooms: spray or nay?
« on: January 24, 2023, 09:12:47 AM »
3 of my mango trees have the majority of their’ canopy pushing buds in my Biscayne Park yard. Hopefully most mango growers in south Florida have blooms starting too.

Please share your spray regiments and experience with spraying emerging panicles vs. not spraying.

One of the many mango things that confounds me is WHEN to spray.
I’ve heard you can sterilize flowers if you spray while open?

I’ve also heard some mango growers never spray during bloom at all, if you are one of these people please share your experience.

Would love to hear all failures and successes.

Weiss from this forum has given me some advice and I’d love to hear some more.

Thank you kindly

-Abe

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Mango blooms: spray or nay?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 09:54:35 AM »
I'm one of those who never spray. All of my trees bear well.

Regards,

Gary

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 10:48:23 AM »
What do they spray with and for what purpose?  I've never sprayed and never had issues, but live close to the ocean.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 10:53:26 AM by johnb51 »
John

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 11:14:07 AM »
No spraying here, but 2 miles from the bay/ocean.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 11:44:37 AM »
This year i finally sprayed some sulfur to prevent PM as much as possible. (Last year was the first time i noticed enough)
Was planning on doing some copper for anthracnose this weekend but we'll see if laziness takes over

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 12:14:50 PM »
This year i finally sprayed some sulfur to prevent PM as much as possible. (Last year was the first time i noticed enough)
Was planning on doing some copper for anthracnose this weekend but we'll see if laziness takes over
So these aren't considered harmful chemicals, right?
John

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 06:27:13 PM »
I’ve been told that copper, sulphur, mineral oil horticultural spray with micronutrients like trace elements…depending on fungus, all could help with fruit set by preventing powdery mildew and anthracnose and promoting good nutrition during flowering.

It made me want to participate, HOWEVER on the contrary, if I do that I fear I’ll never evaluate which varieties thrive in my yard naturally with no spraying.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 06:40:55 PM »
I agree with seeing how your trees do naturally without spray. A lot of trouble to goto for something you may not need or want. Depends a lot on weather too, so can see how spraying might be a good insurance policy.  ....shit, I don't know what to do either.

You may also want to think about what your goal is; do you want as much fruit as possible, or do you want moderate amounts of the tastiest fruit possible? Not sure about this, but seems some of the best mangoes I've had were from trees that produced moderate to light crops that year.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 06:45:03 PM by roblack »

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2023, 06:44:38 PM »
Roblack, i was very much hoping you would respond to this spread I always respect your advice highly i did not even consider that.

Being as how I buy a lot of mangos anyway, that makes a lot of sense to have a smaller crop with better quality.

Hopefully guys like bsbullie and squam256 Can chip in too.

Thank you very much.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2023, 06:47:52 PM »
=)

Thank you

Another thought is, if you spray (or not), the tree will drop what it can't handle and you can always cull to make the crop lighter. So the real experts might favor spraying so you have the healthiest blooms possible and more options going forward.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2023, 08:06:38 PM »
Roblack, i was very much hoping you would respond to this spread I always respect your advice highly i did not even consider that.

Being as how I buy a lot of mangos anyway, that makes a lot of sense to have a smaller crop with better quality.

Hopefully guys like bsbullie and squam256 Can chip in too.

Thank you very much.
Bsbullie?  He's disappeared without a trace.  Sure wish Gary Zill or Chris Wenzel were members.  Heck, we haven't even heard from Har in a long time.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 08:12:22 PM by johnb51 »
John

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2023, 08:14:27 PM »
Dang it John you’re right about that. Hope they all make an appearance at some point.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2023, 11:01:53 PM »
3 of my mango trees have the majority of their’ canopy pushing buds in my Biscayne Park yard. Hopefully most mango growers in south Florida have blooms starting too.

Please share your spray regiments and experience with spraying emerging panicles vs. not spraying.

I’ve also heard some mango growers never spray during bloom at all, if you are one of these people please share your experience.

Thank you kindly

-Abe
Have you had problems with your blooms previously?

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2023, 08:32:05 AM »
I’ve been told that copper, sulphur, mineral oil horticultural spray with micronutrients like trace elements…depending on fungus, all could help with fruit set by preventing powdery mildew and anthracnose and promoting good nutrition during flowering.

It made me want to participate, HOWEVER on the contrary, if I do that I fear I’ll never evaluate which varieties thrive in my yard naturally with no spraying.

I personally wouldn't spray unless I see a problem.
I've had a 700lb+ harvest from my yard for the past 3 years and barely spray anything.

I rather solve a lot of the issues by promoting airflow and planting varieties that are better suited to my location

The only reason why I sprayed sulfur this year was that I noticed a decent amount PM last year.
The same thing goes for Copper, I noticed anthracnose on fruit that hardly ever has issues.

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2023, 08:36:05 AM »
So these aren't considered harmful chemicals, right?

I try to use Omri pesticides only when needed.
The dosage makes the poison I suppose.
I wouldn't eat them for instance

When spraying the copper you should have the right PPE

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2023, 03:25:43 PM »

Thank you kindly

-Abe
Have you had problems with your blooms previously?

I had a couple issues with PM and anthracnose on my sugarloaf and Bailey’s marvel blooms last winter, but last winter strange weather.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2023, 01:49:46 PM »
Spray, spray and spray.  However, if your trees are young and not very big or established just left them do there thing, see how the disease pressures are in your yard. If you spray small trees they will use up all their energy to push out just a couple mangos that you may or may not get to eat and then struggle to put out vegetative growth. If you let them be and let them grow they will be that much closer to being ready to hold a worth while amount of fruit. I continue my nutritional regiment on my not ready to hold fruit trees and cut off the fruit after the last of the cold weather is done and then tip/shape them every second flush until they look like an actual tree.  If your trees are trees and you think they should be putting out a bunch of fruit but don't , you probably need to have plan to spray them and make sure they are getting the MICRO,s they need. I use plain old wetable powdered sulfur in my sprayer for Powdery mildew, first a little diluted to sanitize the trees when the panicles first start to push (maybe an inch or so or before, Hard to time it perfectly with every tree in the yard.)   Again when they are to about the 3/4 to full but not open and lastly when they have set fruit but not if they blooms are open and no fruit has set yet. if i see PM growing spray as needed. The sulfur helps to acidify the soil as it washes off and helps the trees take up nutrients as long as your soil PH isn't already too low. ( Dont use sulfur on lemon zest! it burns the leaves, Ironically LZ is very susceptible to PM. I use a product called CEASE and it seems to do a very good job and I believe it is ok for organic)

As far as for anthracnose, Spray copper if you want but I prefer to do it lightly and less often. Copper is a necessary micro but too much of it will hurt the roots of the tree and will stay in the soil for a very long time ( It is used to kill roots in septic drain fields and tanks) I think the CEASE/ Serenade also does a good job with anthracnose control and provides Beneficial's to the soil health as well, but it isn't cheep. There are a lot of fungicides out there and some of them have a lot of horse power but i reserve those for as needed to treat known issues when other more organic methods are not working as they are hard on the pollinators. ( The Bee's, man the Bee's. AKA, the most important creature on earth)

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2023, 03:08:42 PM »
I have some powdery mildew on some panicles on my Glenn mango.  I don't spray (no time to deal with that and don't want to deal w/chemicals myself), should I remove the affected panicles or spray the tree with water (recommended in a Truly Tropical video).  My tree has many panicles and most look OK for now.  Will the PM infect the other panicles?

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2023, 04:46:58 PM »
Julie, i've watched TT ms chris video & she cut the entire panicle off & put in bag.
If i remember right, she said yes it can spread.

Ed

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2023, 02:08:35 PM »
I have some powdery mildew on some panicles on my Glenn mango.  I don't spray (no time to deal with that and don't want to deal w/chemicals myself), should I remove the affected panicles or spray the tree with water (recommended in a Truly Tropical video).  My tree has many panicles and most look OK for now.  Will the PM infect the other panicles?

Glen will usually set fruit through PM unless its really infected. If you want to be sure you are getting a good crop you should make the time to spray sulfur or anything that works on PM.