Author Topic: Best exotic fruit trees to grow in Dallas, TX?  (Read 1637 times)

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
Best exotic fruit trees to grow in Dallas, TX?
« on: January 30, 2023, 01:23:27 PM »
Dallas is quite the anomaly when it comes to temperatures, where we very typically see 105F high summers and 10F low winters. Average 65% RH throughout the year with very long growing seasons

I have a couple acres that have been used to grow garlic and wheat for 4-5 years, but I want to transform them into a proper slice of the tropics or atleast as much as I can get away with. Soil is clay but very broken down from the bulb growing. Zone 8b but it feels like we push closer to zone 9 each year ;(. Planning on protecting for winter spells but there are times where temperature can stay below 25F for 3-4 days at a time

Here's my plans so far:
- Different types of passionfruit that I'm going to grow along a heated building, hopefully that is enough for large dieback every year instead of full death
- loquat
- jelly palm
- feijoa
- white sapote
- maybe jabo?

Also thinking the typical citrus, nectarine, peach; maybe plum maybe apple, but idk. I want something really tropical to scratch the itch

If there's anyone with a lot of palm fruit or cactus knowledge! PLEASE! I'd love to add fruits like that to the collection as well
Thanks for your time
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 01:26:17 PM by tru »
instagram @trumansacco

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Best exotic fruit trees to grow in Dallas, TX?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 01:31:28 PM »
might be a good idea to have a set up not dependent on electricity. Seems like you guys have a power failure during the winter/ summer extreme temps

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 03:10:57 PM »
yea we have a backup generator but I get what you mean, definitely not ideal
instagram @trumansacco

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 11:51:16 AM »
This is not a paid advertisement haha

I would look at Marcos (huertasurbanas) seeds, Argentina has colder climates that a lot of the places we normally source seeds from on here, and I have now put a number of the species to the test and most seem to survive freezes (his temperature tolerance on the spreadsheet is pretty accurate ime)

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 12:30:14 PM »
This is not a paid advertisement haha

I would look at Marcos (huertasurbanas) seeds, Argentina has colder climates that a lot of the places we normally source seeds from on here, and I have now put a number of the species to the test and most seem to survive freezes (his temperature tolerance on the spreadsheet is pretty accurate ime)

I've been looking at his species list for a very long time! planning on saving up to buy a huge batch ;D but I guess my main hesitation is not knowing much about any of the fruits; any certain ones that you'd recommend?

I really like palms too if anyone has ideas for something like jelly palm
instagram @trumansacco

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 01:04:01 PM »
Not a tropical or an exotic, but you have to grow one of the best fruits of all--persimmon!  Grow several varieties--astringent and non-astringent.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 01:11:03 PM by johnb51 »
John

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 03:03:13 PM »
Not a tropical or an exotic, but you have to grow one of the best fruits of all--persimmon!  Grow several varieties--astringent and non-astringent.

Also noticed Figs missing from the list

of what he has now

Sweet uvaia (reservations, feb.), very limited stock
Alvarillo (reservations, feb.)
Guabiju, Misiones (reservations, feb.)
Big Chañar, rare (dry) -edible pulp and seed- (feb.)
   On stock at the USA now:
Black Cherry o.t. Rio Grande, Eldorado , new stock
Jaboticaba Peruana, (big fruits)
Amay (very rare), Oberá, new finding!
Orange Guabiroba, Junin (new)
Jaboticaba Luján (new)
Jaboticaba Corrientes (new)
Big red tangerine pitanga, Junin
Black Guaporetí, Iguazú
Abiu-mirim or aguaí
Orange Cherry of the Rio Grande!
Arazá-johvy
Black ñangapiré
Ubajay (one of my favs)
Black pitanga
Dark red pitanga, Oberá
Big red pitanga, Eldorado
Jaboticaba Eldorado INTA#2 (sprouted!)
Sete capotes, Precocious, Junin

I'd say all will be good with the exception of amay

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 03:28:47 PM »
How could I forget persimmons! I have quite a few people in the family that would probably eat them all before I ever get a taste  :D Asian style persimmons forsure, any variety recommendations for virginiana? I think there's a persimmon native to texas, I'll add that to the mix as well

Also noticed Figs missing from the list

I'm not too big of a fig fan but also I've barely started exploring that world of it :) I'm sure I'll get there eventually, my old neighbor had LSU gold and purple planted (gotta represent his college lol) but I never asked to try before I moved

in regards to the list, it seems I can't go wrong. got it  ;D Those guabiju pictures that he posted almost made me buy some right there! but I figure I should wait to save on shipping, marcos if you're reading this!: If you offered a 1-of-everything or 2-of-everything box I'd get it in a heartbeat, I don't know if thats possible but I'd love it
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 03:31:55 PM by tru »
instagram @trumansacco

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2023, 04:18:22 PM »
Yep, figs are another premium fruit that grows well there.  As good as persimmons in my book.
John

dm

• Miami-Dade County, FL - Zone 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2023, 04:26:14 PM »

You are growing astringent and non-astringent persimmons in Deerfield Beach?
Which ones?  Are they fruiting?
I thought Triumph or South Florida (Hudson?) were the only ones we could fruit down here.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2023, 07:13:16 PM »

You are growing astringent and non-astringent persimmons in Deerfield Beach?
Which ones?  Are they fruiting?
I thought Triumph or South Florida (Hudson?) were the only ones we could fruit down here.
Sorry, I didn't say, " I GROW SEVERAL VARIETIES..."  I was telling him to grow them.  I have had both Triumph and South Florida trees in Deerfield Beach.  They're the only ones I know that thrive here.  But I lived in DFW for five years and saw Japanese persimmon trees loaded with fruit.
John

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2023, 07:51:10 PM »
Jujube, Figs, Loquat, Psidium longipetiolatum, Eugenia aff. involucrata, Myrcianthes pungens
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2023, 07:57:52 PM »
Cactus Fruits (Since you asked)

Opuntia spp.
Cleisiocactus spp.
Corryocactus spp.
Melocactus spp.

Kankan

• Fallbrook, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2023, 08:46:09 PM »
I grew pawpaws (not tropical...but they taste tropical!) near Dallas for years and they did great!

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2023, 09:11:33 PM »
Asimina triloba?

They really struggle in Houston, Surprised they would do much better there

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2023, 10:52:35 PM »
My aunt lives in Dallas, so I know a bit of the weather there...First off, it can get extremely cold. Like I'd say it gets colder than here in 7b. I know the summers are super hot, but in the winter it can get super cold. So I'd be wary planting a lot of stuff out unless you are going to protect it. You could try yangmei, kadsura, stone fruits, berries, etc. Don't think jabos or eugeinas and others could make it unless you plant them on a wall or provide extra heat or protection. After seeing the huge arctic blasts last couple of years is a testament that it's gonna be hard to grow tropicals/subtropicals there. Forum member Mark in Texas lives in that same zone/climate. You can always try to contact him. He has an epic greenhouse! Also psidium longipetiolatum got wrecked here after hitting 29f lol. It's not as hardy as I'd like to say although I've heard reports of as low as 15f. You can do jelly palms for sure. Hope this helps!

Kankan

• Fallbrook, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2023, 11:48:52 PM »
Asimina triloba?

They really struggle in Houston, Surprised they would do much better there

Yes-they need colder winters than Houston.

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2023, 01:32:47 AM »
Cactus Fruits (Since you asked)

Opuntia spp.
Cleisiocactus spp.
Corryocactus spp.
Melocactus spp.

Thank you! been looking at melocactus for a while after hearing they taste like strawberry candy

I grew pawpaws (not tropical...but they taste tropical!) near Dallas for years and they did great!

I might grow them just because they're native, but after that annonacin neurotoxin thread I'm kind of scared of give myself the means to eat pawpaw or soursop lol

My aunt lives in Dallas, so I know a bit of the weather there...First off, it can get extremely cold. Like I'd say it gets colder than here in 7b. I know the summers are super hot, but in the winter it can get super cold. So I'd be wary planting a lot of stuff out unless you are going to protect it. You could try yangmei, kadsura, stone fruits, berries, etc. Don't think jabos or eugeinas ...

It really does get ridiculously cold... the previous winter storm got us to 7f for a couple hours on the worst night of it. I blame it being so flat here, the cold air from the north has a habit of reaching us at the worst of times. I'm not gonna hold my breath but honestly? might do away with the passionfruit and try to fit as many fruit around the building as possible, I'm not scared of protecting them because sadly, no matter what it is I'm probably gonna have to protect

Jujube, Figs, Loquat, Psidium longipetiolatum, Eugenia aff. involucrata, Myrcianthes pungens

Can someone tell me what makes a good jujube? I don't remember but I heard one variety is really juicy and one is really dry
instagram @trumansacco

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2023, 09:23:47 AM »
I grew up eating jujubes for their health benefits but never really loved the fruits until I tried Honey Jar.  I love Honey Jar so much that I bought four trees.  It has a crispy snap to it that's unlike others I've tried and the flavor is like a really sweet apple that has spices added to it.  The only down side is the fruit is small.  I eat them when they still have green in them because I love the crisp texture. 

Have you tried Pluots, Plumcots, or Pluerries?  They're delicious, the Flavor Grenade and Flavor King pluots are some of the best fruits we grow. 

Janet

SaltwaterTx

• Gulf Coast Tx 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2023, 09:24:41 AM »
Can grow muntingia kind of like an annual, maybe take some large cuttings in the fall and stick inside as a backup. It’s easier to cover a short stump also. They fruit fast and taste amazing. Like fruity pebbles.

Kankan

• Fallbrook, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2023, 08:07:36 PM »
Jujube "almost" grows wild in Dallas area once you get it past the first year or two (needs watering). I grew a few varieties and they were problem free. They taste much better fresh and still mostly green IMO as opposed to dried or mostly red/rust/ripe. There was a jujube orchard someone started long ago nearby that was thriving after the owner left with little to no care. I had no luck with apples or cherries (tried many varieties), persimmons and mulberries did great (their wild counterparts are all over NE TX). Peaches, plums, nectarines, and pears did well. Only the hardiest of figs (handle cold) survived year after year, they would sometimes freeze down to the trunk and you'd have to chop off all the branches but it would come back unless it was a cold sensitive variety.

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2023, 03:40:32 AM »
I grew up eating jujubes for their health benefits but never really loved the fruits until I tried Honey Jar.  I love Honey Jar so much that I bought four trees.  It has a crispy snap to it that's unlike others I've tried and the flavor is like a really sweet apple that has spices added to it.  The only down side is the fruit is small.  I eat them when they still have green in them because I love the crisp texture. 

Have you tried Pluots, Plumcots, or Pluerries?  They're delicious, the Flavor Grenade and Flavor King pluots are some of the best fruits we grow. 

Janet

You've sold me on a honey jar! I haven't tried any of those but now I really want to, especially if they can flourish

Can grow muntingia kind of like an annual, maybe take some large cuttings in the fall and stick inside as a backup. It’s easier to cover a short stump also. They fruit fast and taste amazing. Like fruity pebbles.

I've gotta try these! What an interesting plant. Only one of its whole family

Jujube "almost" grows wild in Dallas area once you get it past the first year or two (needs watering). I grew a few varieties and they were problem free. They taste much better fresh and still mostly green IMO as opposed to dried or mostly red/rust/ripe. There was a jujube orchard someone started long ago nearby that was thriving after the owner left with little to no care. I had no luck with apples or cherries (tried many varieties), persimmons and mulberries did great (their wild counterparts are all over NE TX). Peaches, plums, nectarines, and pears did well. Only the hardiest of figs (handle cold) survived year after year, they would sometimes freeze down to the trunk and you'd have to chop off all the branches but it would come back unless it was a cold sensitive variety.

Quite the timing.. we just got a 1/2 inch of freezing rain, pretty much everything is flash frozen outside right now lol. I wanna graft all the stonefruit onto one tree and just let it go wild
instagram @trumansacco