Author Topic: NEW BOOK: Frutas No Brasil, Nativas e Exoticas (Fruits in Brazil)  (Read 16454 times)

socalbalcony

• California, South OC, 10B
    • View Profile
    • IG
Re: NEW BOOK: Frutas No Brasil, Nativas e Exoticas (Fruits in Brazil)
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2021, 10:14:55 PM »
I purchased the ebook w/apple books just fine awhile back.. also didn't know oscar was out, almost put in an order for my birthday next month

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2021, 10:31:48 PM »
I know that they did not print an English language version for this new edition of Fruits in Brazil, but is there any way to get the English language eBook that does not involve Apple Books? I have not been able to find anywhere online that has it. I prefer printed books; Fruit Lovers has them at a reasonable price, but since I do not know Portuguese, it is the acme of foolishness for me to buy a book I cannot read. So I will settle for the English language eBook, if I can find it.
Not that i know of. It's only on Apple books. I've also had same problem as you accesing it.
Now there is also a problem getting hard copy books from the publishes in Brazil. They cannot mail them to the USA due to covid, so am temporarily not able to sell them.
I did not know you are out of copies. Last time I checked your website (a while back), you still had some. Even so, without knowing Portuguese, I do not know how useful the book would be to me.

From what I have read on the news, Brazil is a mess right now, so I am not surprised that ordering anything from there would be nigh on impossible. I hope everyone down there makes it through this.
Keep in mind that the book is mostly a picture book, with pictures of the tree, leaves, and fruits in scale. I have lots of people that don't speak portuguese that ordered it. The written text can easily be scanned and translated by google translate or any other language software.
I will keep that in mind, perhaps translating sections on a plant-by-plant basis as needed. I just bought some Brazilian fruits from Trade Winds (Ziziphus joazeiro, Clavija longifolia, and a few types of Annona), so my search for seed germinating and growing information for these fruits has given me an impetus to try and find the English language eBook. I will still keep a lookout for the English eBook, but do you have any idea when you might get the Portuguese edition back in stock?
IDK but i think that the book will not be available until this covid thing dies down, especially in Brazil. So it could be several months.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2021, 06:39:40 AM »
BTW The orange grumi is a selection of the yellow.They are routinely planted as seedlings here and this has causes some variation in yellows in particular with bigger fruited selections and the orange also. I shared seeds of my yellow that crossed with their dark rootstock and one forum member ended up with a grumi that had dark and yellow grumis on the one plant.
This book sounds like one I need and the Lorenzo book was sent to me by a kind latin american fruit enthusiast a few years ago now. I would not object to have a companion for that book.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2021, 05:20:15 PM »
I purchased the ebook w/apple books just fine awhile back.. also didn't know oscar was out, almost put in an order for my birthday next month

I do not use Apple products, which is why I am looking for just a regular eBook.

W.

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2021, 05:26:20 PM »
This book sounds like one I need and the Lorenzo book was sent to me by a kind latin american fruit enthusiast a few years ago now. I would not object to have a companion for that book.

I am curious whether you are referring to Harri Lorenzi's previous edition of this book, a blue covered book titled Brazilian Fruits & Cultivated Exotics, or whether there is another book on Latin American fruits I am unaware of?

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2021, 06:43:11 PM »
Lorenzi's blue-covered book was re-issued in an updated, black covered edition (without a dustjacket).

HTH

Paul M.
==

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2021, 12:26:51 PM »
Amazon hard copy for $200, but I am still waiting for the English version.

https://www.amazon.com/Frutas-No-Brasil-Nativas-Exoticas/dp/8586714488
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 12:28:42 PM by pinkturtle »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2021, 06:11:31 PM »

https://www.amazon.com/Frutas-No-Brasil-Nativas-Exoticas/dp/8586714488
There will be no print copy in english. But there is an english version in Apple books online. The $200 price is inflated, probably because the publisher stopped mailing them. If you wait till after covid you can probably get a copy for less than 1/2 that price from me.
Oscar

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2021, 06:17:28 PM »

Hey Pink Turtle.  I saw that $200 tome on Amazon. Just don't hold your breath for an english-language edition of FRUTAS NO BRASIL.  It is doubtful that one is in the works.

Your best bet may be to buy a copy (make an offer of a lesser price) and then invest in an optical scanner/translator which will translate the português for you.

But I did find a site that may allow you to download the book.  Here's the link:
https://sites.google.com/site/ciotwinenri/home/frutas-no-br-oizjikjdl8r842

Boa sorte!

Paul M.
==

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2021, 06:42:05 PM »
Thanks Paul, unfortunately I can't download it from that link.

TomekK

• In search of Theobromas
    • Vienna, Virginia Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2021, 09:15:36 PM »
To people who have this book: how much info/pictures does it have on Theobromas and Herranias? I’m thinking of getting it, but it’s quite expensive, and I mainly am interested in lots of pictures and info on theobromas/herranias.

sclateria

• Mato Grosso, Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2021, 10:39:59 PM »
To people who have this book: how much info/pictures does it have on Theobromas and Herranias? I’m thinking of getting it, but it’s quite expensive, and I mainly am interested in lots of pictures and info on theobromas/herranias.

One-page entries for each of the following species:

- Herrania balaensis
- Herrania mariae
- Theobroma bicolor
- Theobroma cacao (somewhat surprising that they didn't illustrate cultivars)
- Theobroma grandiflorum
- Theobroma obovatum
- Theobroma speciosum
- Theobroma subincanum
- Theobroma sylvestre

Each page has three photos: a close-up of fruit (whole and opened); close-up of leaves/flowers; image of the tree on its own.

TomekK

• In search of Theobromas
    • Vienna, Virginia Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2021, 10:49:08 PM »

One-page entries for each of the following species:

- Herrania balaensis
- Herrania mariae
- Theobroma bicolor
- Theobroma cacao (somewhat surprising that they didn't illustrate cultivars)
- Theobroma grandiflorum
- Theobroma obovatum
- Theobroma speciosum
- Theobroma subincanum
- Theobroma sylvestre

Each page has three photos: a close-up of fruit (whole and opened); close-up of leaves/flowers; image of the tree on its own.

Thank you very much for the info! I guess I’ll be looking to get this book then.

W.

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2021, 07:30:10 PM »
Is this book still largely unavailable due to COVID issues in Brazil, either in the Portuguese print edition or the English language eBook?

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2021, 03:38:31 PM »
I think its been out of print for some years.

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2021, 06:32:22 PM »
Is this book still largely unavailable due to COVID issues in Brazil, either in the Portuguese print edition or the English language eBook?

I looked and found a copy today on Amazon for US$112 and a 2nd copy there for $98.00.  Both are listed as hardcover & em Português.

Incidentally, I found my copy two years ago for $86.00, so I personally feel that the prices mentioned above aren't all that unreasonable for a book that is a getting bit hard to find.

OK — HTH

Paul M.
==

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2021, 03:59:17 AM »
The publisher is still not sending books out of Brazil. The english language eBook you can access online.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2021, 04:01:38 AM »
Only the english version is out of print. The larger and more complete portuguese version is still in print, just not accessible from publisher right now due to covid.
Oscar

W.

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2021, 03:42:47 PM »
The publisher is still not sending books out of Brazil. The english language eBook you can access online.

Other than at Apple Books, which I do not use, is there anywhere else where I can get the English eBook?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2021, 01:19:14 AM »

Other than at Apple Books, which I do not use, is there anywhere else where I can get the English eBook?
Not that i know of.
Oscar

driftwood

• my name is driftwood, nice to meet you
    • Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2021, 01:39:26 AM »
I guess the book is only like $20.00 in Brazil. My friend was shook that these go for 1-200$

I might be able to get my hands on more copies but might come out to more like 50-80$ each with shipping costs. It's a heavy book

W.

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2021, 03:56:27 AM »
I guess the book is only like $20.00 in Brazil. My friend was shook that these go for 1-200$

I might be able to get my hands on more copies but might come out to more like 50-80$ each with shipping costs. It's a heavy book

Yes, I did the currency conversion on the Jardim Botânico Plantarum online bookstore price. The Brazilian Real is at $0.18, so if I lived in Brazil, the book's purchase price plus expedited Brazilian domestic shipping would be the equivalent of $30.32. $10.30 of that is the shipping cost, so the book's R$110,00 list price is almost exactly $20.00. Unfortunately, Jardim Botânico Plantarum does not ship internationally; though, as someone who sells books for a living and has shipped books internationally on many previous occasions, I can completely understand why. International shipping is a pain, with tedious customs forms, high shipping rates, slow delivery, unprofessional postal officials, and the ever-present threat of damaged or lost books. It really is amazing anything ever goes from one country to another successfully.

That being said, if you do manage to import some copies to the US. I would certainly be interested in the $50 to $80 range, preferably on the low end if possible.

Hermitian

• USA, CA, Vista, 10b
    • View Profile

Hermitian

• USA, CA, Vista, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2021, 07:09:34 AM »
Only the english version is out of print. The larger and more complete portuguese version is still in print, just not accessible from publisher right now due to covid.

Incorrect. I ordered mine a few weeks ago and received it Thursday.

driftwood

• my name is driftwood, nice to meet you
    • Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2021, 02:29:31 PM »

Yes, I did the currency conversion on the Jardim Botânico Plantarum online bookstore price. The Brazilian Real is at $0.18, so if I lived in Brazil, the book's purchase price plus expedited Brazilian domestic shipping would be the equivalent of $30.32. $10.30 of that is the shipping cost, so the book's R$110,00 list price is almost exactly $20.00. Unfortunately, Jardim Botânico Plantarum does not ship internationally; though, as someone who sells books for a living and has shipped books internationally on many previous occasions, I can completely understand why. International shipping is a pain, with tedious customs forms, high shipping rates, slow delivery, unprofessional postal officials, and the ever-present threat of damaged or lost books. It really is amazing anything ever goes from one country to another successfully.

That being said, if you do manage to import some copies to the US. I would certainly be interested in the $50 to $80 range, preferably on the low end if possible.

I will ask and see if I can get 5 or 10 copies and let them go for cost+shipping to forum members

I would absolutely only charge the necessary amount for shipping, as this book is a wealth of information, more people need to have it!

Anyone interested can contact me

Incorrect. I ordered mine a few weeks ago and received it Thursday.

You ordered it from a 3rd party re-seller. Thus the 115$ price tag

In brazil it costs only 20$ and the publisher doesn't ship internationally directly. Thus you are left with amazon.

Hope this helps

« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 02:32:03 PM by driftwood »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk