Author Topic: fruit pics  (Read 4883 times)

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
fruit pics
« on: January 31, 2012, 10:23:33 PM »
We had a couple cool nights in November, enough to confuse my baby Florda Prince peach tree into fruiting.

If a mamey hits you in the head, is that a natural hazard, or an attractive nuisance?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: fruit pics
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 11:42:44 PM »
Did you take out that other mamey tree that never fruited?

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 12:48:06 AM »
Having the mamey right outside the door is smart, easy to check when ripe and easy to release the hounds should you need to.

nice trees,
-Ethan

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 01:16:50 AM »
Better to bump heads with a mamey than a needle sharp spiky durian! There is a youtube video of a guy mowing the lawn on a rider mower and he hits his head on a durian. He's bleeding everywhere, calls the ambulance, but before it comes he rushes into the house to take photos of himself and the bloody durian!
Oscar
Oscar

ericalynne

• United States of America, Florida, Venus, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 07:48:52 AM »
Nice pics. I am impressed. Now I really have to go out and get some low chill peaches. Don't know if I will live long enough to start mamey. I just eat them when I go to Homestead...all those fruit stands along Krome Ave.

Erica

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 09:12:06 AM »
Did you take out that other mamey tree that never fruited?
No, I pruned the Pantin back after I planted one of the new mangos next to it. It's always been very sensitive to drought. I figured maybe its limited root system might do better with less tree.
Maybe some day I'll taste a Pantin.

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 09:49:10 AM »
MangoManDan, you are right!  The trees have been very confused this year.  Check out my apple tree, same thing happened: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=133.0  Nice mamey, what variety is that?

Adiel
Adiel

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 11:02:13 AM »
Dan, how old is your Mangana Mamey? How does it handle the cold??

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 12:57:01 PM »
Dan, how old is your Mangana Mamey? How does it handle the cold??

The Magana is about 15 years old, and has been pruned back a few times because it's close to the house.

It's planted in suburban Lake Worth. We've had very few freezes through the years, and never below 30 as far as I know.  I don't remember any freeze damage to speak of.

Likewise the Pantin, which is more exposed, hasn't suffered any freeze damage that I remember. It is in total sun, and the leaves wilt and the fruit drops if I forget to water it during dry spells.  I don't imagine that Pantin is less vigorous than others. I figure it's my particular tree at that particular spot in the yard.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 02:21:22 PM »
Peachy Cool, Dan the mangoman!!!!  My Florida Prince is only flowering now, but still like a month ahead of the normal schedule....

Dripping, slurpy, drooling fun....soon......

MFang

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 02:22:16 PM »
Those peaches have such good color. When do you think they will be ripe enough to eat? Plus have you ever eaten a peach grown in PB County or nearby? If so can you rate it?

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 03:27:43 PM »
Those peaches have such good color. When do you think they will be ripe enough to eat? Plus have you ever eaten a peach grown in PB County or nearby? If so can you rate it?

Growing peaches is completely new to me. I'll have to read up on it, as I don't have a clue when to pick them.   It's not clear in the photo, but these peaches are about the size of a half dollar. I don't think they will grow any larger. It's a small tree in a small pot.

The tree had fruit on it last spring when I bought it from a nursery in west Broward.  I tasted a couple and they were good. I think there is room for improvement as the tree grows, and if I thin the fruit.

I planted the tree in Venus (central Florida) in the spring. In November when it flowered I dug it up and moved it to Lake Worth for the winter.  I figured otherwise the tree would die in the hard freezes to come.

I'm going to replant it in Venus in the spring. I'm curious how it will do after such an early fruiting.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 06:41:53 PM »
Nice trees! Especially the magana mamey.  :)
Alexi

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 09:10:20 AM »
I've had a chance to eat several of the Florda Prince peaches now.  The first few had the peach taste but weren't sweet enough.  The last several were very good.

I had kind of expected peach trees to be doomed to diseases and insects in the Florida heat and humidity.  So far no problems.   Maybe I'm still in the "honeymoon period" one sometimes has with newer plantings.    Yes I can always see the cloud around the silver lining.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk