Author Topic: Fruit Injuries  (Read 9998 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit Injuries
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2013, 04:54:57 PM »
Don't know if this counts as a "fruit" injury, but when I was building my greenhouse, I got my hair caught in the drill as I was, literally, putting in the VERY LAST screw.  My hair is pretty long, and when my ponytail came out of the holder as I was leaning into the drill (self-tapping screw into a steel post...), it got sucked into the drill so fast that the drill flew up and slammed into my face before I could do anything.  It broke my cheekbone, and I woke up my husband and half the neighbors at 6:00 on a Sunday morning as I screamed bloody murder.
The only thing the ER doctor asked me, after laughing his fool head off, was "WHY were you building a greenhouse at 6:00 on a Sunday morning???". 
He just didn't understand...

That's much better outcome than wearing a long sleeved shirt that gets your arm pulled into the wood chipper. Or the same but getting pulled into farm machinery.

Everyone-- DMSO can help a lot with injuries. There is very good seller on ebay I can vouch for and he is in South Florida. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DMSO-Dimethyl-Sulfoxide-99-99-Pharma-Grade-One-Gallon-Glass-Jug-Odorless-/161071400784?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25809a8750

He sells it in various sizes.I have bought twice from him. Always good idea to add 25% pure water to it. I learned the hard way. Add some Epsom salts to the DMSO + water for more healing action. You can also put arnica herb (good deals on ebay) into DMSO for a few weeks to make an arnica tincture
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 06:33:04 PM by zands »

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2013, 05:46:33 PM »
I have a fondness for working in flip flops, you can't imagine how many i have scrapped, banged, and pierced my feet. But I always say that the i stop wearing flip flops is the day i take off a toe with my machete.
- David Antonio Garcia

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2013, 06:08:42 PM »
Well, certainly for me over the years I couldn't even count the cuts, scrapes, muscle pulls, back spasms and the like, but nothing was as bad as whatever bit me next to my ear a couple of months ago. I assume it was some kind of spider, never really remember feeling the bite, but I ended up in emergency, having  minor surgery to drain the infection. That was scary stuff. But it's all part of working outdoors and living in the subtropics.

JeffDM

• USA, San Diego, Ca. 92129. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2013, 06:18:01 PM »
I piled up a bunch of bricks for the edging around my newly planted mango tree and as I walking up to the tree with a hammer to knock in a stake to hold the tree I trip on another stake I'd forgotten about.  I did one of those slow motion tumbles and scraped the $#$#$%# out of my forearm on the pile of bricks.  Lots of band aids were needed, but no trip to the ER like the time I tried to take my eye out by not wearing safety glasses when using my weed whacker.
I think the reason I switched from roses to subtropical plants was that I lose less blood this way.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2013, 07:05:42 PM »
One of my lychee trees didn't like the radical prune i did on it with the chain saw and decided to take revenge by having one of it's big limbs fall in the opposite way i had predicted, and right onto my big toe. Ouch! Lost the nail, took a year to grow back, and 6 years for black mark under my nail to totally disappear. Doesn't help that i always only wear flip flops. No more cutting this particular tree without steel tipped boots.  ;)
Oscar

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2013, 12:01:18 AM »
Whoda thunk that fruit gardening could be so dangerous???
My cheekbone did heal, but whenever I played my bagpipe for six months afterwards, my face made a squealing noise... It was sort of a "party trick" for a while.
I do go barefoot ALL the time, so I understand the pain of the folks who have stepped on things, or broken/skinned/stubbed toes!
And at least my trees are still small enough to not kill me with broken limbs or falling nuts.  The bug bites in REAL tropical areas are frightening!  At least the worst we have here are black widow spiders, which really never bother me.  But scorpions and centipedes and ear-biting mystery bugs - YIKES!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk