Author Topic: My first taste of Dr. White cherimoya  (Read 7311 times)

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
My first taste of Dr. White cherimoya
« on: November 09, 2017, 01:37:02 AM »
Just want to share my first time tasting experience of this variety: Dr. White. (Thanks again to Simon for his generous gift of the scion). This variety didn't win any best tasting award that I can tell from reading this forum.

But, oh my, when I tasted this fruit for the first time about a month ago, it overwhelmed me: smooth "flesh" with very desirable (to me) slight chewiness..., just the right amount of sweetness, and low seed count to top it off.

The best that I ever had of cherimoya fruits, albeit my limited tasting experience of just a few varieties so far. Hmm, I am looking forward with much anticipation of what the other favorite annona varieties taste like...

Here's couple of photo of the fruit:

Sam

Bhkkatemoya

• San diego
    • View Profile
Re: My first taste of Dr. White cherimoya
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 01:43:59 AM »
Very nice Sam.  I love dr white too.

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 06:49:41 AM »
It sounds fantastic!

I have many chirimoyas but they are all seedlings from a good variety
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 08:30:08 AM »

Do you need to hand pollinate ? Is it chewy?

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 08:33:09 AM »
I love Dr. White cherimoyas too! Thanks for sharing.
- Mark

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 10:45:04 AM »
Hey Sam, I’m glad your Dr White fruited for you. The Dr White can get huge but your treee has to be very mature with thick branches before you get the 2+ pounders. On the Internet, many people trash DrWhite but I personally really like the fruit. It’s very juicy with great sugar acid balance and a high flesh low seed count as long as you don’t over pollinate it. Congratulations on the Fruit.

Simon

Bhkkatemoya

• San diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 10:49:25 AM »

Do you need to hand pollinate ? Is it chewy?

Probabaly yes.  It's juicy and has a chewy texture to it.  Very similar to an atemoya.  I tried it at ong a few years ago. 

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 11:19:38 AM »
I have to admit that I really like the taste of the Dr. White Cherimoyas that I have tried, though I am not sure I could eat more than one at a time.  For my taste they are so knock your socks off sweet.  Great as a dessert though.

Sam, are you going to the cherimoya tasting this year at SCREC http://screc.ucanr.edu/?calitem=376820&g=68933

The last time I checked in summer it was planned for mid December, now mid January 2018 just like this year.  I suppose the cherimoyas were later than expected?
Bob

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 02:55:20 PM »
Thanks for the compliments guys, and for the heads up Bob, never been to any tasting event, I'll see if I am up to it in January!

You're right Simon, my Dr. White branches are still small, the biggest maybe about the size of my thumb (grafted from your pencil size scion in Spring 2015), it only has 3 fruits on it, the second one just dropped yesterday, thus reminding me to write up this thread.
So, yeah, this would be even better in years ahead if they can reach 2 lb!  :)

Sam

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 03:30:47 PM »
I love Cherimoyas, they are my no. 1 favorite fruit. I love complex sweet flavors, below are my highly recommended and tasting ones to my pallet:

1. Pierce - hands down the best
2. Selma
3. Helmut
4. Campas
5. Santa Rosa
6. Orton
7. Ott
9. Behl
10. El Bumpo

There are several others that hit and miss every year, but Pierce is a no dabate best out there every year. Those who have not had it, pay top $$ to get it if you can and try it.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 06:08:58 PM by behlgarden »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 07:19:31 PM »
Nice fruit Samu!
Brad Spaugh

Mustang128

• Temple City, California 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 07:37:05 PM »
Any member of this forum have Pierce Cherimoya seeds for sale?
 I am interested to get some. Thanks!

Bhkkatemoya

• San diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 08:01:44 PM »
You should graft instead of asking for seed mustang as it'll take a few years to fruit and it might not be true to the mother tree. 

Mustang128

• Temple City, California 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 08:17:49 PM »
You should graft instead of asking for seed mustang as it'll take a few years to fruit and it might not be true to the mother tree.

Thanks for the advice, but I am fairly new to growing fruit trees.  I did some airlayers, but never grafted any...not hard to learn.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 10:12:28 AM »
I love Cherimoyas, they are my no. 1 favorite fruit. I love complex sweet flavors, below are my highly recommended and tasting ones to my pallet:

1. Pierce - hands down the best
2. Selma
3. Helmut
4. Campas
5. Santa Rosa
6. Orton
7. Ott
9. Behl
10. El Bumpo

There are several others that hit and miss every year, but Pierce is a no dabate best out there every year. Those who have not had it, pay top $$ to get it if you can and try it.

Thanks for the info folks.  I'm trying to get started with cherimoyas and if luck has it will pick up an El Bumpo grafted last year, wood came from Frank.  Having said that under my greenhouse conditions with plenty of headroom at least 12' or more, what top 3 varieties would you recommend?  I have 4 rootstocks going thanks to Spaugh's generosity.

Got a box of Dr. White this spring.  They were delish.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 04:19:05 PM »
In no particular order, I like El Bumpo, Orton, Pierce, Booth, Dr White and Selma.

Simon

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 12:44:40 AM »
The Dr White can get huge but your treee has to be very mature with thick branches before you get the 2+ pounders.
Simon

Well. my third Dr White fruit has been growing larger since November, when I thought it was only a nubbin, in fact I almost removed it.  But to my surprise, this nubbin-like kept on growing, I picked it on January 1st and weight in at 1 lbs and 14 3/8 oz. (just shy of 2 lbs!) Wow, this is the largest cherimoya that I ever grown in my yard! Looking forward to even more on next year crop!  :D

Sam

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 02:00:49 AM »
Congrats Samu! I've been eating Fino's but I happened to see my first Rolinia ripening a couple days ago and ate it tonight- not a fan of the first fruit. It was like lemony snot....oh well. Good luck. Chris
-Chris

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 12:24:10 PM »
Good to know that you are able to fruit Rolinia in SoCal! I think Mischu also growing one too, but haven't heard from him if his tree ever fruited...

I tried the fruit on my visit to Hilo farmers market 2 Summers ago, from that sample ("unimpressed"), and from what I read ("hard to fruit" in Socal), it discourages me from growing it myself.
Hopefully your Rolinia's taste improves as the tree matures, Chris!
Sam

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 02:01:57 PM »
Nice fruit Sam! They’ll get even bigger than that, especially the fruit in the interior of the canopy coming off the thicker branches. The good thing about Dr White is that they have great flesh to seed ratio, even if you hand pollinate.

I’ve been having issues with too many seeds in my Cherimoyas due to hand pollination.

Simon

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2018, 12:12:06 AM »
I just received budwood for a booth cherimoya. I have pierce el bumpo and Santa Rosa but no rootstock so looking to add it on (probably to el bumpo as that is the biggest one I have).
2 questions though:
1) anything I should know about cherimoya grafting? Is this the wrong season? Do temps need to be higher?

2) also, My trees are essentially defoliated from some terrible Santa Ana winds last month and they haven't sprouted leaves or pushed new growth yet. If I graft now, will growth push to the graft as well or is it better to wait for the trees to recover and then graft.

Thanks
K

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 08:10:18 PM »
I am not an expert, but let me try to reply to your questions. The easiest Cherimoya grafting for me is cleft. Last year JF started offering scions for sale at around February time frame, so that's probably the best timing to graft cherimoya, where the trees will start forming new buds.
Most cherimoyas trees defoliates anyway in the Winter, even without high wind. I suppose if you graft now, it will probably be sitting there for a while before it will spring into action. Good luck!
Sam

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 10:59:20 PM »
2 lb cherimoyas very nice Samu, that would cost a small fortune at the market.
Brad Spaugh

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2018, 01:07:01 AM »
Thanks Spaugh, yes, it's so big, couldn't finish it in one sitting, for the 2 of us!
Sam

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2018, 01:14:06 AM »
Any time of the year is fine for grafting. Rain getting into the graft is a problem right now.
You know to wrap the scion and graft with parafilm or something similar to prevent dessication I'm sure.
Scions can keep a few months in the fridge, but fresh scions are obviously better. So I would say graft some now and save some for later. Unpredictable weather can wipe out any round of grafts, so stagger them to be safe. What Samu and JF said is best if you can graft at that time of the year. Not too hot, not too cold.