Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Buy, Sell & Trade

Looking for Durian seeds

<< < (2/9) > >>

DurianLover:
If you can somehow import grafted tree, they stay smaller. Maybe your best bet for greenhouse. I heard Musang King needs higher elevations (cooler climate). It also happens to be the best tasting durian:)  Another area of concern is summer heat. It gets like +40 C in Crete? However, I have seen tropical trees fruiting in Chicago. I think greenhouse was about 25 feet tall.

msk0072:

--- Quote from: DurianLover on September 27, 2012, 06:24:42 PM ---If you can somehow import grafted tree, they stay smaller. Maybe your best bet for greenhouse. I heard Musang King needs higher elevations (cooler climate). It also happens to be the best tasting durian:)  Another area of concern is summer heat. It gets like +40 C in Crete? However, I have seen tropical trees fruiting in Chicago. I think greenhouse was about 25 feet tall.

--- End quote ---
DurianLover which varieties do you have?
My plan is to grow from seed until next summer and than make the grafts in the greenhouse. Grafted trees can be kept smaller and they fruit earlier. Importing trees is a big story because of EU regulations.
I am a little confused which variety is best for colder climates. Another member mentioned the D175 (red prawn) as more cold tolerant.
The summer temperatures are between 30 and 40oC and in the greenhouse much higher, at least 5 - 10C. The weather will be a problem only during the winter months.

Mike T:
At the risk of threepeating myself on cold tolerant durians, here we go again.Trials of many varieties here found some suffered below 15c and would drop leaves.Some die at 10c.Just a few showed no ill effects and 10c and did not even drop a leaf at 5c.My question was how low could they go without struggling.The spectrum of cold tolerance is explained was explained by the genetic work that showed huge genetic variation within the D.zibethinus representatives looked at.D175 (red prawn) unexpectedly showed excellent cold tolerance in spite of coming from Penang.Another very rare species D.macrantha also showed exceptional cold tolerance.The other types I suggested were the laplaes from the coolest growing areas in thailand and these are recognized there as being cold tolerant.They come from the hills in the Utteraditt district where there is also a cold tolerant langsat.
40c is chicken feed so long as humidity is high.
Some expressed scepticism about the possibility of growing these varieties and potentially others from upland areas and a few lesser species in Florida.

fruitlovers:
Mike, where were these trials done on cold tolerance of durios? Can you point me to the actual study?

Mike T:
There have been a number of compilations done with govt funding.Pooled observations across the district provided most of the information.The largest and most formal pubication was done at the Zappala farm at the foot of Mt Bellenden Ker (1592m) with assistance from Lim and staff of the south johnstone research station like Dicsabilis.The main report has several 100 pages and is called RIRC Durian Clone Assessment or something similar.I have a hard copy somewhere that is thick enough to choke a rhino but no longer have an electronic copy.Updated observations from Tully,Mission Beach and Ingham added to the major publication.The report has sections including growth rates,cold tolerance,fruit quality,genetic profiles, first flowering and fruiting,weather details etc. and discusses diseases and cyclone responses.I believe the observation period was around 1986 to about 2000.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version