Author Topic: Looking for Fruit Trees and Fruit Tree Seeds from around the World.  (Read 1829 times)

Willie

• Thailand, Chonburi, USDA 12
    • View Profile
Hello growers worldwide,

I have a huge plot of land in Thailand and want to create an edible rain forest.

Therefor I am looking for nurseries that are specialized in exporting fruit trees including all necessary documents, especially the non Thai ones to "stand off the crowd".

Furthermore I am always open for offers of seeds from edible fruit trees.

I am living in USDA Zone 11.
The trees in your region might be common but a rarity in my home country so every offer will be thankful considered and replied.

Best regards

Willie
All men are equal but only the finest become seafarers

tongmuan

• Thailand
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Fruit Trees and Fruit Tree Seeds from around the World.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 03:13:29 AM »
Hi,

How about first making a list of plants you're interested in and checking if they're available inside Thailand, unless you're looking for the best/specific grafted foreign varieties? You might save a lot of money and import hassle that way.

Local plant fairs, at least here in the South, have been selling a lot of stuff in the last few years that previously wasn't easily available - for example abiu, pulasan and Fijian longan are common now. If the plants are not available at fairs, you might have luck with http://www.nanagarden.com, there's a lot there, but not necessarily with foreign or scientific name and maybe posted in category for the most common related Thai fruit. And Facebook sellers and groups have even rarer stuff, often specializing in a specific plant family.

Willie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 09:51:22 AM »
Hi tongmuan,

cheers for the advise and sure I am checking all around Thailand what is available.
I opened the link of nana garden and what caught my eyes was the abundant stock of grown trees, definitely it's on my tour plan now, cheers for that.
Some members gave me info by pm and when I come home next week it won't be long and I am on the road through Thailand.

To specify what Tree I want isn't that easy for following reason:

I was due to my Job travelling worldwide and I always was keen to be a part of the local community instead of hanging out in Bars with my Colleagues.
I tasted a lot of delicious local Fruits and Veggies (well, also some that would kill the cat) but to that time I didn't bother the Names so it would be looking funny to say I want a Tree that bears red fruits which taste like a mix of Pine with Melon and Grape and so on.

One thing I learned is never judge a fruit by its appearance, ugly and poisonous looking can be super delicious and beautiful (Rose apple for example) just taste bland, pee sour/bitter or lets your breakfast from yesterday return.
An Ayahuasquero (Healer) in Venezuela told me once. If monkeys steal it and fruit flies surrounding you its tasting good.

If anyone has specimens that are very local, a great taste and may be a having good shelf life I need the Name, Photo if available incl leaves and offer from that side.

That is the only way to get what I want.

Also here in this topic I thank all who sent me already private messages busting with information. Please keep them coming as this is by fat the best fruit forum that I have picked so far.

Best regards

Willie
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 10:18:20 AM by Willie »

Willie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 01:11:53 AM »
Hi all,

since its in the northern part of the equator harvesting time again I would ask all again about your favorite fruit that grows hidden and for the rest of the world unknown in your Jungles and Forests.

I believe anyone had grandparents that have taught you some lessons and introduced you to the real specials far away from Mango, Guava or Mulberry & Co.

I think of the fruits that never reached market potential and if then they were only locally available.

Anything, Fruit, Berry, Nut or Herb or flowering trees that produce the best honey you ever got hold on.

Tropical USDA 11 - 13 I am looking for...

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 11:41:33 AM »
hi, you can start by looking for fruit at local markets and supermarkets then grow those from seed and try to wiki the species and learn about the plant. then you can visit your local botanic parks and they will have many plants for cheap and information. after this talk to other collectors in thailand and get what you can there. after this keep reading the forum.

you can read for example this database is how i got started...simply reading from seed selling sites databases(i am not selling anything)
https://www.tradewindsfruit.com/content/fruitsscientific.htm
https://toptropicals.com/
http://www.fruitlovers.com

start with those then try to figure out plants by their family and with time you will remember their scientific names. with this and time you will be able to find out a lot more about rare fruits then you try to get the seeds or plants :)
there's also books but i will let someone else tell you about that because i don't have any.

btw there's supposed to be tropical fruiting litchi varieties in thailand, i would love to get one of these or seeds.

Mick Mick

• Australia Qld cairns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 07:39:17 AM »
Gday mate I have the seeds currently available

Thanks mick

Geeth

• Ceylon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2021, 12:12:57 PM »
Gday mate I have the seeds currently available

Thanks mick
PM

Satha

• Sri Lanka
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2021, 11:26:06 AM »
Mick does not like to sell seeds to me?

Willie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 05:09:15 AM »
Sorry all,

since I was stuck in Taiwan on a 20 month Job that was signed for 3 month and couldn't return home to my beloved wife in Thailand, I postponed my plans to buy land and get started.

Meanwhile at home I'll be tomorrow out again finding some suitable land.
Out prepared fruit tree collection turned our garden into an impenetrable jungle and its really time to get them first in the mud before we start to extend our collection.

Cheers for the offer @Mick Mick and I will revert as soon we have done the primary tasks first.

bbudd

• thailand,chiang rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2022, 02:59:55 AM »
Hi-I live in North Thailand
Been importing/growing a selection of trees for over  10 years now
Also in contact with other growers of a similar mind
Have a ton of stuff-both seed and seedlings if your interested

Generally I'm going seed to fruit in 2-3 years with a few exceptions
so pretty easy to get started

Contact me PM if ya want