Author Topic: Fruiting Durian in Florida?  (Read 3187 times)

ChiliChameleon

• USA, Florida, Miami
    • View Profile
    • PenuLunn Farms
Fruiting Durian in Florida?
« on: November 21, 2019, 04:17:10 PM »
Has anyone been successful in fruiting durian in Florida? I have seen a few decent size trees at Fairchild tropical gardens, but never seen any fruit. I don't know of any other durian trees here in Florida.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Fruiting Durian in Florida?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 04:25:42 PM »
Has anyone been successful in fruiting durian in Florida? I have seen a few decent size trees at Fairchild tropical gardens, but never seen any fruit. I don't know of any other durian trees here in Florida.

I haven't heard of anyone fruiting it in Florida. I think those durian trees at Fairchild may have all been cut down recently. Anyone can confirm?

ChiliChameleon

• USA, Florida, Miami
    • View Profile
    • PenuLunn Farms
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 05:10:04 PM »
I was there recently, fairly certain they still have several left, but not like before. They also removed the Langsat tree and one of the mangosteen trees =(

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 05:29:57 PM »
Don't know if it was in jest, but some time back there was a thread that was a competition of forum members as to who could fruit durian first in Florida. I think it would be possible. They can fruit anywhere that mangosteens fruit. And mangosteen has been fruited before in Florida.
Oscar

Tetsu0

• USA, FL, Tampa, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 07:31:33 PM »
I was there recently, fairly certain they still have several left, but not like before. They also removed the Langsat tree and one of the mangosteen trees =(

They removed the langsat tree and and a mangosteen from the green house!? Do you know why?

MameyDisco

• Guayabero
  • Cuban Seeds Floridian Sunset
    • U.S.A., Florida, Homestead / Redland, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Tropication Rare Plants
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 10:48:09 PM »

They removed the langsat tree and and a mangosteen from the green house!? Do you know why?

The greenhouse is part of the Science Village / Conservatory. It's known as the Whitman Tropical Fruit Pavilion. The name was recently changed to the Bill & Angela Whitman Fruit Pavilion. - https://www.fairchildgarden.org/Science-Conservation-/Plant-Collections/Exhibits/Whitman-Tropical-Fruit-Pavilion

I haven't heard of anyone fruiting it in Florida. I think those durian trees at Fairchild may have all been cut down recently. Anyone can confirm?

The Durian trees remain. The Lansium will be replanted once the marcotts we prepared from Bill Whitman's original 'Conception' are ready for planting. I will personally be helping with this planting alongside other RFCI Miami members.

The Rare Fruit Council Int'l. (RFCI), Miami will be more actively involved volunteering in the "Whitman Pavilion", at the request of Angela Whitman who aside from being a benefactor sits on the board of directors of Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden. 
Tropication Nursery - https://TropicationPlants.com

DJ Mamey Disco's Softer Than Satin MIXES - https://www.mixcloud.com/softersatin

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 07:25:23 AM »
It is all about how well the trees handle winter minimums and cold dry winds.We have worked this topic a few times before.
Who knows with good soil and one of the more cold tolerant varieties like red prawn, lin and long laplae or Durio macrantha its possible. Durio kinabaluensis may be a member of the genus which may have even better tolerance of low temps.Lots of varieties have poor cold tolerance and shed leaves at around 7c and even 10c for some.
Langsats are a chance especially variety Utteraditt and maybe even longkong, but duku and duku-langsat less so. Mangosteens are less genetically diverse so there isn't much difference between trees in cold tolerance. Some durians handle cold better than mangosteens and some not as well.

Tetsu0

• USA, FL, Tampa, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 10:14:57 PM »

The greenhouse is part of the Science Village / Conservatory. It's known as the Whitman Tropical Fruit Pavilion. The name was recently changed to the Bill & Angela Whitman Fruit Pavilion. - https://www.fairchildgarden.org/Science-Conservation-/Plant-Collections/Exhibits/Whitman-Tropical-Fruit-Pavilion

The Durian trees remain. The Lansium will be replanted once the marcotts we prepared from Bill Whitman's original 'Conception' are ready for planting. I will personally be helping with this planting alongside other RFCI Miami members.

The Rare Fruit Council Int'l. (RFCI), Miami will be more actively involved volunteering in the "Whitman Pavilion", at the request of Angela Whitman who aside from being a benefactor sits on the board of directors of Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden.

The Whitman fruit pavilion, that's the greenhouse I was talking about  ;D

Wasn't the langsat tree the conception variety already? I remember the side of the tree that got the most light was getting burned up, although it's been a few years since I've been there. They really don't like sunlight until they get massive it seems. I'm guessing the tree died?

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 09:57:58 AM »
We grow Langsat in full sun with good results from pretty small.
Peter

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 04:14:29 PM »
We grow Langsat in full sun with good results from pretty small.
Peter
It's going to depend on number of overcast days, the time of year you plant them, rainfall, etc. I foolishly planted a row in full sunlight and they pretty much roasted. Here it's much better to start them under shade cloth. They also grow a lot faster when small under shade cloth.
Oscar

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 11:39:49 AM »
This is a 4 year old grafted lansium that was planted in full sun with no adverse effect. In the future I will consider the advice, depending on the location. We usually plant durian and mangosteen with shade from glyrcidium which is eventually removed.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 08:17:42 PM »
In my climate lansium, durian and mangosteen need sun protection for an extended period when first planted.If I planted one of these in full sun now while the UV index is at 15 which is 5 points into the extreme its lifespan would be less than a week.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 05:05:24 AM »
In my climate lansium, durian and mangosteen need sun protection for an extended period when first planted.If I planted one of these in full sun now while the UV index is at 15 which is 5 points into the extreme its lifespan would be less than a week.
Yes, so a lot has to do with location. But also time of year can be very important, sun so much more extreme in summer than planting something out in winter.
Oscar

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2019, 11:48:52 AM »
We have two wet seasons and we only plant at the beginning of the rainy times when we are sure the ground will stay moist.  The dry season is short and it is unusual, even during the dry that it goes for more than 2 weeks without measurable rainfall.  Seems to me like some areas of Borneo and the Malay peninsula.
We started planting a few weeks ago figuring that the next dry period will come in March.  By May we can probably plant again.
Peter

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2019, 05:08:33 PM »
Lately i play it safe and plant almost everything inside a hog wire cage with shadecloth around and on top of cage. Even during rainy periods you never know when a sudden unexpected dry spell can hit and stunt the plants. I find also that the cages also help a lot to protect from wind, insects, and ofcourse wild pigs! The cages also protect the plants from me accidentally bumping or hitting them while mowing or weedwacking. Real easy to damage them, especially when grass gets high and you can't see them well. The plants really enjoy their cozy little protected areas, especially when they are very young, and grow much faster as a result.
Oscar

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2019, 06:19:09 PM »
Fortunately w don’t have the wild pigs. The living posts mark the spot and there is an ample weeded area around each tree that is supposed to be well mulched. In some parts of CR people use cages to keep iguanas at bay. Another issue, near the coast, are land crabs. Both of those things are very destructive but I don’t really have them at my site. Leaf cutter ants is another...Hawaii probably doesn’t have any of those.
It’s interesting comparing growing the same tree crops in locales so far from each other.
Peter

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2019, 11:19:38 PM »
Fortunately w don’t have the wild pigs. The living posts mark the spot and there is an ample weeded area around each tree that is supposed to be well mulched. In some parts of CR people use cages to keep iguanas at bay. Another issue, near the coast, are land crabs. Both of those things are very destructive but I don’t really have them at my site. Leaf cutter ants is another...Hawaii probably doesn’t have any of those.
It’s interesting comparing growing the same tree crops in locales so far from each other.
Peter

I don't think any place in USA has leaf cutter ants, thank goodness! In the last decade we have gotten little fire ants. They don't cause any problem to plants, only to people and animals. We don't have iguanas or land crabs that do any damage in Hawaii. Coconut crab was spotted once in Honolulu, but i think it was a freak ocurrence.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2019, 07:38:41 PM »
https://www.agrifutures.com.au/wp-content/uploads/publications/02-091.pdf
I posted this in the other active durian thread. It may help select options for trialling durians in Florida.

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2019, 05:49:17 AM »
I tried a few 3 years ago, and they were doing good in huge pots. We planted a few in the ground at Grimals grove also. The ones in the ground did ok until they hit the native soil, once the roots hit the limestone soil they died.
Unfortunately hurricane Irma washed them all away before they could be fruited.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2019, 09:41:30 AM »
Adolf Grimal had some growing they had to be at least 15 feet ,but very chlorotic and died.Bill whitman had beautiful durio graveolens growing,but a tropical storm blew it over and it died

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2019, 05:51:29 AM »
Shot,

I left you a message on the other thread but just in case you don't see it:  I'm wondering if you are having any problems with leaf anthracnose and if so what you are doing to combat it.  4 years for durian is super impressive. 

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2019, 09:27:40 AM »
They won't be 4 years till late 2020 ,the first year they went through 37f temp 2nd year 41f temp ,3rd 42f temp.I used to use phosphite spray on them for root pathogens but haven't for a year.Now I just try to use minors and sometimes add foliar potassium nitrate.I still contend that drought stress causes root hair death and then secondary pathogens invade. Foliar pathogens should be minor on mineralized healthy plants.

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2019, 04:28:16 PM »
Many thanks, Shot.  I'd been using phosphate spray and drench as well but stopped because the leaves were clean.  Suddenly, they weren't :-(  You are probably correct about letting them dry.  I must admit I've been lazy about watering. 

I applied Agri-Fos last night and removed all the infected leaves.  They got drenched this morning by that downpour, so they are good for the moment (fingers crossed).  There's lot of new leaf growth, so I'm hopeful.  Kinabulensis and graveolens look the cleanest.  Kutajensis and zibithinus have really taken a beating.

Please keep in touch, if you don't mind.  I'd love to compare notes as the trees get older.  Are you planning to trellis yours?

Regards,
Scott   
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 04:34:48 PM by noochka1 »