Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Buy, Sell & Trade

Where To Buy Tropical Fruit Online

<< < (3/22) > >>

CoPlantNut:

--- Quote from: bsbullie on February 28, 2013, 01:06:10 AM ---
--- Quote from: CoPlantNut on February 21, 2013, 10:25:59 PM ---
--- Quote from: murahilin on February 21, 2013, 07:59:31 PM ---Keep us updated on the ripening of those fruit. It may be the picture, but some appear to have too much green still showing under the skin. That means some may not ripen properly.

--- End quote ---

They all are certainly a little green under the brown skin, though some have only a small patch.  I've only seen and tasted ready-to-eat sapodilla before; I have zero ripening or picking experience.  My 'Silas Woods' plant has flowered once but no fruit set- not surprising for an 18" tall plant.

It's hard to get good fruit in Colorado in February, though the citrus and (surprisingly) jackfruit have been excellent recently.

--- End quote ---
Thats more than a small patch of green.  They were definitely picked too early.  While the jury will be out as to how they ripen...the flavor and sweetness will be nowhere near the level they should be at.

As to variety, tough to say.  They may be Alano or they me so far underripe that it could be a number of others.  What is the texture of the outside of the skin, smooth, "rough", dirty feeling, etc.  Problem is that they may have been washed to clean the sap off of them so that outer skin texture may be of no help.

--- End quote ---

Every one I've tried so far has been very sweet, like every Sapodilla I've had before, but also so horribly astringent that I cannot eat it.  And I'm sure I'm letting them get soft enough; some were even starting to go bad from being too soft.  The skin was slightly gritty / dirty feeling.

I gave a few away and at least one was reported to have been good, but none of the ones I've tasted yet!  It does appear they were picked too early...  Always disappointing to have a box of inedible fruit.

murahilin:

--- Quote from: CoPlantNut on February 28, 2013, 02:54:23 PM ---
Every one I've tried so far has been very sweet, like every Sapodilla I've had before, but also so horribly astringent that I cannot eat it.  And I'm sure I'm letting them get soft enough; some were even starting to go bad from being too soft.  The skin was slightly gritty / dirty feeling.

I gave a few away and at least one was reported to have been good, but none of the ones I've tasted yet!  It does appear they were picked too early...  Always disappointing to have a box of inedible fruit.

--- End quote ---

I hope the company gives you a refund or at least ships you a new box with actual mature fruit that will ripen properly. I had a friend in GA who ordered from them two years ago and he said the quality of the fruit was good. I guess it comes down to who picks and packs the individual boxes. No quality control it seems if both Rob and I (and probably anyone else who has picked sapodilla from trees) were able to tell that fruit were not mature just from a pic. Keep us updated on their customer service. If its no good we will make sure to make a note of that on the top of the page so no one else is burned.

PedalaiMaster:
Also Norman Beard can ship fresh fruit inside Cali, check what he has available... <a>http://www.beardtropics.com/</a>. Regards-PM

bradflorida:
The cherimoya.com website appears to be offering cherimoyas for sale by mail order once again.

Brad

thao:
As lychee season comes to a start over there in florida, is there any way I can get some of those fresh tree ripen Florida lychee shipped here into California? I wanted to get some from Erickson's farm but on the site it says no shipping to CA or HI :'( I really wanted to try some fresh ones and not those unripened Mexican Mauritius, we usually get over here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version