Author Topic: Grumichama flowering!  (Read 2846 times)

socalbalcony

• California, South OC, 10B
    • View Profile
    • IG
Re: Grumichama flowering!
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2021, 01:27:51 AM »
Here in 10A California, will try watering on the heavier side during flowering and lighter at fruit set and will update this thread to see if they hold fruit. Planted in ground.

would be cool if we get enough people to confirm their watering strategy to compile it into a spreadsheet.. albeit many other variables may not be accounted for - I think it'd still be useful data collection

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2021, 11:07:38 AM »
My grumichama is about to flower I'm pretty sure and I will be employing the dry while flowers are open and wet once set strategy. Looking forward to seeing other people's stories about their fruit set while deep watering. Let's see! My

Sunrisefruit

• Sunrise, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2021, 11:19:04 AM »
My tree is about 6 ft in hight, probably around 4ft wide.. iset up a sprinkler system, just for it and it comes on every three days for 20 minutes.. i live in S. Florida so it gets pretty hot hot here.  The tree is planted in a location where it gets morning sun, afternoon shade.. the tree is around 3.5 years old.. it flowers every year(twice a year) but it had never set fruit.. until this year! At last..
I also have a CORG beside it, a bit older, flowers but no fruit 😕

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2021, 11:22:59 AM »
My tree is about 6 ft in hight, probably around 4ft wide.. iset up a sprinkler system, just for it and it comes on every three days for 20 minutes.. i live in S. Florida so it gets pretty hot hot here.  The tree is planted in a location where it gets morning sun, afternoon shade.. the tree is around 3.5 years old.. it flowers every year(twice a year) but it had never set fruit.. until this year! At last..
I also have a CORG beside it, a bit older, flowers but no fruit 😕

Does the CORG have water on the same schedule? I deep watered my CORG when it flowered last year and didn't get a single fruit. I will be giving it the dry treatment this time around. Unfortunately it had some root rot and keeps getting brutal die back... Hoping to cure it this year and see it come alive again.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2021, 11:53:05 AM »
Tried the no water strategy while mine was flowering. No set 3rd time flowering. Plenty of insects to help pollinate. Probably just needs more time. Maybe this fall can get some fruit.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2021, 12:04:24 PM »
Try hand pollination on top of your regular pollinators... mine bloomed for the first time this Spring and because it was in my greenhouse I hand pollinated. Seems to have done the trick.

Kevin

Sunrisefruit

• Sunrise, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2021, 08:15:25 PM »
I will try hand pollination on both the grumichama and CORG, they are both on the same watering schedule.. every 3  days for 20 minutes.
I tried not watering when they were on bloom with no avail.. i will keep the watering i have now through the fall and hand pollination to see what happens.
By the way, that one grumichama was awesome.. i will try to sprout the seed :)

Jake

• US flordia cape coral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2021, 02:21:24 AM »
I usually begin watering my grumichama every other day in mid February before it begins to flower depending on current weather conditions here. This year I didn't start till March because of some cold fronts. I increase watering to almost every day(5/6 a week) after fruit set. My tree is 10-12 feet tall now, loaded with fruit, and probably 95-99% fruit set. I often get a second light bloom in July -0% fruit set, and sometimes a third in late august/ early September 3 fruit total out of dozens of blooms over the course of a few years. I have never seen any pollinators working the flowers, I think they are pollinated by the wind here, whether airborne or the flowers rubbing together in the wind. If you are reading this and not growing it, you probably should be.